GI Bill Policy Update: Transferability Rules

April 18, 2013 | Terry Howell

The Army announced a change to the service obligation requirements for Post-9/11 GI Bill transferability that will require soldiers with over 20 years of service to obligate to an additional four years if they wish to transfer their benefits. The policy goes into effect on Aug 1, 2013.

The four year obligation is not new; in fact it has applied to all none retirement-eligible servicemembers since the inception of the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Education Benefits policy. Under the TEB policy, servicemembers in the retirement window were initially grandfathered, but the four-year requirement waiver was to be gradually phased out. Depending on their retirement eligibility date (20-year anniversary) servicemembers are currently required to obligate for up to three years if they want to transfer their GI Bill benefits.

The policy originally allowed members on active duty who were eligible for retirement on Aug. 1, 2009, to transfer benefits without incurring an additional service obligation.

The Air Force began requiring retirement-eligible members to re-up for four years in August of 2012, but later decided to extend the policy until August of this year. The Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, like the Army, are set to begin requiring the four-year commitment on Aug 1, 2013.

The Army.mil article which announced the policy, referred to it as a “change.” However, the Army’s official 2009 transferability policy states that the waiving of the four years of added service is a “temporary rule.”

My point is that the four-year obligation is not a change and is not part of sequestration or the planned DoD budget cuts. This was a temporary waiver to the existing rules which was planned to be phased-out by August 1, 2013.

The DoD’s milConnect website explains that the special rules for retirement eligible members will no longer be in effect on 1 August 2013. And, that on or after that date, all service members must comply with four-year obligated service requirement.

The Coast Guard TEB website states it as clearly as possible:

“If you don’t want to stay in the [Insert Your Service Branch Here] longer than 20 years, be sure to transfer at least one month of benefits to each dependent before you reach the 16-year point in your career.”

Comments

1. Whatever happened to the house bill (EARNED) that was proposed for retirees having earned the post 911 gi bill, yet for those who retired just prior to August 2009?

The 4 year obligation for someone with 20 years wanting to transfer to the kiddos looks to be another Army imposed trick – what of the pending selective early retirement boards being assembled August 2013. My bet is the Pentagon will be screwing alot of folks yet again.

• the law was passed so quickly it didn't catch those with a retirement date prior to 1 Aug or those who didn't have enough time to HYT to meet the 3 yr obligation. It really sucks. Had a friend retire 2 months before me with two kids; he couldn't transfer a thing. I put in my date and the USAF contacts me two weeks prior to say "we misinterpreted the wording. You had to be on active duty 1 Aug (you are retiring 21 Jul, "effective" 1 Aug"). If you plan on transferring… contact us and we'll change it to 1 Sept. I got the red carpet, he got screwed. To add to it he had put in his papers so he could attend the (Anchorage AK) Police Academy (he was accepted)… and when the retirement was approved he was notified, due to budget cuts… no academy that year.

Poor guy.

2. I am retired USCG in 2008. I have my Post G.I. Bill but I cannot pass it on to my son or grandson. They will need it more than I will. These are my benefits and I should be able to pass them on to my dependents. This sucks. damn congress is not working for the service men adn women. Just look at TRI CARE. They got their hands in that too. So tell me this, why would any service member want to retire with benenfits??? Before long a 4 yr/one tern service member will get the same benefits as a retiree….ZERO!!!!!

• I agree with you. I retired in 2008 with 30 years, and just SOL. I have two boys who sure could use the post 9/11 benefits

• I am retired USCG also…Oct 2008 after 26 years…and i was really disappointed that i couldnt transfer my GI bill to my kid….made me really upset.

• Why couldn't you transfer to your relatives? I was 20 years navy and I was able to transfer. Did you know that for you to transfer you had to at least transfer a month of benefits to that person? So, I transferred a month to each of my 3 children and wife. As long as they have one month of benefit it can later be increased by whatever you have left.

• OBama passed transfer rights and it became law 1 Aug 09. So if you retired before 1 Sep 09 it was not law… and sadly no grandfather clause.

This will break America with time, just as his "put people back to work" and "auto industry" bailout already has.

3. I had to retire because of high year tenure so how could I have extended four more years. Navy

• When did you retire? I too retired at 20 years due to high year tenure but I transferred a month to each of my dependents before retiring.

• clauses. There is probably one saying "4 yrs unless you have less due to HYT." Transfer laws took effect 1 Aug 09/

4. I retired from the Marine Corps in 2010 with over 31 years of service. I was under the impression I could transfer my benefits to my wife after retirement, a mistake on my part. I have taken some Continuing Education Classes but they are not covered by the GI Bill so all fees come out of my pocket. To top that off, I can't apply for any Education Credits for Tax purposes because these classes don't fit the category required by the GI Bill. The present usefulness of the GI Bill is of no asset to me because I am not seeking to attain a Degree at this stage in my life nor should it be that it has to be applied to an Hourly Based Program. It should be able to be applied to any legitimate educational program that the Veteran uses to begin a new career or enhance skills for the current field they may be involved in.

• street kid says:

I put in a comment already. I am sorry this happened to you. I would continue to press my Congress person. It was a sharp NG SGM that sat down with me in 2009. It is not right that one has to file on the day of retirement or before.

• JEB,

""This is a benefit. Soldiers are entitled to the benefit for their own use, but to transfer to dependents: that is used as a recruiting and retention tool," said Lt. Col. Mark Viney, chief of the Enlisted Professional Development Branch, Army G-1."

• it was a freebie win for the government. Great PR they had TA, and they won because a lot of those who left were to busy working to use it. Retired? Too exhausted to go to school. So they paid out little.

Now? Pricey.

5. Robert A. Lewis says:

Members who have served and their familes have paid a great price, with minimum compensation. There should be no additional service committment to transfer the benefits to family members.

6. I was never told there were conditions to being able to transfer my GI Bill benefits – even during my year of out processing and opportunity retirement classes. I retired in early summer 2009, (and still have not received my dd214, btw).. So now what? are my kids screwed? I guess this is one way to promise "benefits" and then make sure they don't have to pay out. Yeah, the hits just keep on coming….

• MGySgt Ret says:

If you go to the VA website it is very clear on the requirements. Problem is the active duty world doesn't think abou the VA until they are preparing to separate. How many times did you get a PME on your VA benefits while you were on active duty? I know I never did….. So the word doesn't get passed until they attend their separation briefs – and for most it is too late by that time.

• usmc_log_dog says:

This why we all need to go to the seperations briefs as soon as possible before getting out; two years for those who will retire and as close to a year out for those who are not. Although the benefits and information changes over time, we are not setting ourselves and our juniors up for success to only left them go at the last possible momemnt just before they go on terminal leave. I went twice; about 22 months out and then again at five months out.

• Soloshdadow120 says:

Delainie, I was wondering how was you able to retire without a DD 214? Also I guess since you don't have a DD 214 you haven't been able to fill a claim with the VA as of yet! If I was you I would try to get ahold of someone where you retired at and find out where your paperwork is!

• Soloshdadow120,

Something doesn't sound right here. To my knowledge, you had to have the DD Form 214 SIGNED and your copy in hand before you retired. I mean, you can't get one in the mail, because it requires the individuals signature. Know one is going to send anyone a DD Form 214 to anyone that isn't signed.

• LOL. wanna bet? USAF kept revising mine via email. It's all electronic nowadays. You "Sign" with your CAC card.

• Mike Smith says:

It's outrageous that tyou can even transfer these incredibily generous benefits off the backs of the US taxpayers to your kids in the first place!

• @Mike Smith. Spoken like a true Obamacrat civilian who has never worn a U.S. Military uniform. Only 1% of this nation's "citizens" choose to volunteer for military service and around 17% of those stay in the service long enough to retire from the military. That's a pretty low number people who can use this "incredibly benefit" Yet during financial crisis it is the U.S. military that is always looked at to take the first cuts. Have you read Obama's proposed budget? I get tired of defending what little the US military gets while illegal aliens and welfare lay-abouts get more and do far, far less. I spent a lifetime defending the right of "civilians" like yourself to speak your uninformed opinion. BTW. You probably don't realize that the US military are also tax paying citizens.

• Reno,

"Just one-half of 1 percent of Americans served in uniform at any given time during the past decade"

• Idmtmedic says:

And yet who is costing the government so much money? Now post the percentage on welfare, or illegals getting tax return money, money going to foreign countries, lobbyists directing money on BS, SS ….ahem for those not on a system that takes into account their earnings as it works for miltary members for proposed healthcare costs. WTF? VETERANS are costing this nation to go under? Last I checked THEY/WE SERVED. YOU MAKE MILLIONS NO SS. No retirement on taxpayer dollars. Sound crazy? If you are going to charge VETERANS more because of rank then why the hell isn't it across the board? CON-gress get the same? Over half a MILLION for 4 years in salary. 20 yrs?

• Idmtmedic says:

Waiting for a response on your stat?

• idmedic,

You know something is wrong when you talk to yourself.

LMMAO

• Idmtmedic says:

What's wrong Charles nobody to stroke your inflated ego? Your STAT response?

• Yeah, that money should be used for more SNAP cards so they can be cashed in for cigarettes and liquor. Plus, Mike, don't you deserve a new smart phone every 6 months?

• ah ah ah, that's not a smart phone. It's an bamaphone. You pay for a smartphone out of your pocket. We pay for a bamaphone out of ours for you.

• Kwilter9 says:

Mike, I dedicated my entire adult life, 25 years actve duty, to protect and defend you tax payers! Plus I paid for the GI Bill benefit. I"m 53, 90% disabled. Why shouldn't I be able to pass it onto my kids? I don't want it, I already "am" I want to be when I grow up!

• Actually, you and your children are welcome to serve… we have openings so you too can take advantage of these benefits. BTW, you sound like Romney…

• Guest,

This sounds like something I would have said. LOL

• hey, we still have standards. You know the apple doesn't roll far from the tree. I'm sure his children suffer from, what is that bull they said the 16 yr old drunk who murdered 4 innocents with his car had? The one who just got 10 years PROBATION because the judge believed the lawyer that he had it? Oh, "affluenza". Where rich, snobby kids feel entitled and have never been told no, so they don't know right from wrong.

Sergeants don't get paid enough to nipple feed Mike's kids.

• Mike Smith.. Have you served in the military? If not, why did you not serve so that you could take advantage of "these incredible generous benefits"? We have the openings… so, please come over and serve with us.

• KCE,

Does one have to have served in the Military to talk about the Military????? Mike has a good point to what he posted, where is your "good" point?????

• thank Obama. I didn't vote for him, but hey, he's commander in chief. If he says so, I salute. Well, back then.

Now I use a saluting finger to scratch my head over this guy…

• Man your right about this, They did not put this out. Most just liek my wife and I did not find out there was a 4 year requirment until we went to transfer her GI Bill to our children. Luckily for us we were able to make it happen. I to beleive this requirment has been purposely omited, hey its to late to tell someone of it when there on the way out. This should be some sorta of mandatory training for all service members and then once the whole knows start enforsing until then its simply seen by the service members as a way the DOD uses to screw them out of a benifit congress authorized;

7. Payne family says:

My spouse retired with over 21 years on Aug 1 when all this post 9/11 bill stuff was just coming out that he could get. Then it comes out he can transfer it to our kids but its to late cause we retired and nobody knew that was a rule that u had to transfer while active duty still. Our kids missed a lot of their daddy and he missed graduations, lots of growing up

• Martin Session says:

Same with me When I retired back in !Sep 2009 after serving 23 yrs and 6 months. I submitted my paperwork but the folks how accepted did not have the knowledge to process it correct so my kids missed out but I was on retire status when my daugther found her school and ready for the Post 9/1. So I put in a congressational and I am still fighting for my GI Bill

• Mike Smith says:

Oh. Booo-hooooo. The notuion of handing a free ride and these ludicrous 'housing' allowances off the backs of the US taxpaywer to your kids REEKS IN A SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT!

From a vet who earned the MODEST Vietnam-Era GI Bill

• Hmmm.. something is off there. I never signed anything saying I was going to transfer to my dependents when I retired 31 Aug 09 "effective date 1 Sept 09" from the USAF. In order to transfer you have to contact your service and send in a letter with social, retirement date, how many months you want to transfer to who etc etc. It was a pain in the back because it was all brand new to the USAF, but they worked it (it took a few months but the school he was in was patient).

USAF let me do it even though I was not at HYT. My retirement paperwork had been in prior to the transferability approval date, so maybe I am a lucky exception.

Or you haven't asked the right person? The transfer bit came about if "you are active duty 1 Aug 2009" but has changed (obligation wise) several times.

It's nonsense. We earned in 9/11/2004 (served 3 yrs from 9.11.2001), so it shouldn't be negotiable.

8. My father retired after 22 years and we had never been told that the benefits had to be transferred before he retired. When it came time for me to start college, I wasn't able to stay at my college because they took away the funding after they found out in paperwork that they had overlooked that he hadn't transferred it before retiring and they had "mis-awarded" it.
    I am fairly convinced they don't tell you on purpose so the government can get out of actually having to pay out the benefits, most men that retire after that long have no reason to go back to school, they already have heavy experience in a specific trade (like my dad who was an engineer).

• again, they don't have to be transferred "prior" to anything. He is entitled to them (I think for 10 or 15 years) and can contact his service AT ANY TIME to transfer them.

I did (USAF) after I retired.

9. Ralph corella says:

My question to the government is this; I served 22 years received my BA using the TA. I retired in 2007, I’m a disable veteran sent 6 year fighting between Afghanistan and Iraq. When I retired it was time for my kids to attend college, I have the post 9/11 GI bill plus the 100% Yellow Ribbon program. I wanted to transfer it to my kids, but no, it’s not allowed for retires, you must be active duty and serve 4 additional years to do so. I served fought for this great country we call America and I’m proud I had the opportunity to do so, but I don’t need it my kids do so what is happening to my college money, is it just sitting there or is someone else using what I truly deserve. I’m 47 with a BA teaching high school I don’t need any further education, my kids do. Please if anyone can relate send me a good reason why my kids can’t use my post 9/11 GI bill.

3rd SFG
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Retired

• Sir:

I have been looking at this blog trying to get answers to that very question. If a man did 20 + years army and retired with full disiability, can his children go to school for free in NC? I live in Fayetteville and would like to hear from you or any body with conversation this subject.

• Sadly, law. Transferability didn't become law until 1 Aug 09. You had to be on active duty then. They did grandfather in (USAF wise anyhow) if you were retiring you could get it, otherwise if not at HYT you had to do 4 more… or up to HYT. I was fortunate as I had 17 months til HYT but was under a "must move" from an overseas assignment (AK) because the politicians I mean officers in my chain wouldn't approve an in place extension (AF is quite political now, hence me retiring) plus I didn't want to pack up, move stateside, then move again come my 17 months (by the time my HHGs arrived I'd be starting to pack about 10 months later).

I moved enough in 26.5 yrs.

10. I'm concerned about service members greater than 20 years of service signing a service obligation for 4 additional years. As the DoD pushes Selective Retention Boards and releases members to meet pending troop cuts, how will the Post 9/11 GI Bill be affected when the service obligation is not met?

• I don't think it is affected as it is "no fault" to the military member. Same would go for NDR-PEB. I just did my transfer and was grandfathered. Suggest anyone that has over 20 years do it now and see if you are affected by the service obigation.

• Tammy Hackett says:
  11. 25+ years USAF, retired 2007. This benefit, like all, is twisted, bent, and manipulated to avoid pay-out. I think the best thing I can pass on to my 2 boys now is sincere love of country, but a healthy cynicism toward its government.

12. I think a Veteran should be able to transfer his/her benefits to this/her children. I am retired and did not know that I couldn't transfer after I retired. The Army speaks of family….but in this area they are not considering family. My children have endured many absences of their mother away from home. If I knew I could have transferred benefits to them before I retired I would have. This is not a good thing at all. And I truly believe that an active duty person should not have to commit to four more years if he/she decides to transfer some of his/her educational benefits….just not a good thing at all. This decision should be relooked and given great consideration to not exist any more.

• Mike Smith says:

Oh, BULL! A full ride and these absurd $2,000-$3,000 per month tax free 'housing' (and US taxpayer HOSING) allowances to your kid off the backs of the taxpayers is an outrage! From a vet who earned the MODEST Vietnam-Era GI Bill

• AND why should a veteran transfer any benefits. Especially to children or other 'shirt tail' relatives?

Granted, family members missed out because the veteran was gone. EXACTLY what was s/he doing during those absences. Certainly not partying and having a good time. The point of those absences was to do a job providing security for those 'left behind.'

If you were sleeping in the rain and mud with a weapon by your side, or slugging through the midnight rain on a mission, you will have earned those 'benefits.'

I am so sick of the attitude of so many in this country and the military dependents (used deliberately) are beginning to sound just like that 46% who pay no taxes and want everything handed to them.

Once can pay their own way through school. I sat in college classes with recent high school students who were in their Jr year of college. They were constant distractions from the lecture – why? because someone else was paying their way. I paid my own way and wanted to learn.

Enough handouts. No transferring veteran eligibility to anyone who did not EARN it on their own.

US Army, Retired

• jimmyften says:
      • b729,

I do understand DOD using this to get people to enlist or even reenlist. DOD got what it wanted, and now it is time to stop the give-a-way as they are doing know. I've always thought it funnier than hell that when these options are used as incentives to get those to enlist/reenlist, those that feel they are now ENTITLED to this. I mean chit, at one time the Army was giving a $40,000.00 incentive to enlist. It worked, and when they got those up, they stopped the $40,000.00 giva-a-way. I'm with you on this. Let them join up and earn those benefits.

Way to many cry-babies out there that just don't understand the system and feel they are ENTITLED.

• Vet06CLE,

I agree with Mike Smith and b4729. My view is that I agree that some things in order to maintain troop strenght, many things should be used as a carrot/incentives when needed, which is how this is working now. Once Enlistments/Reenlistments stats are met, then things should go back to what they were.

13. Soloshadow120 says:

I retired on 01 June 2011 after 25 years in the Army. I remember my time of ACAP, they had VA reps that came in along with individuals that came in from the local Education Center telling us to make the switch to the Post 9/11 GI Bill prior to us retiring because it is a VA Benefit. The program has been out since August 2009. It just amazes me how many individuals on here say that they didn't know. If you retired from August 2009 until now, you have heard about this. Didn't you take advantage of your ACAP time?? If you were retiring, by regulation, signed you were allowed 2 years to ACAP or retire and you finally heard about this after you retired? How many of you took your spouse with you to those ACAP meetings? My wife attended or tried to attend as many meetings as she could. When you went to clear from the Education Center, no one there explained to you that it had to be done prior to retiring?

• twinlabs says:
    • fgarcia says:

It is possible not to have known, I retired in Oct of 2009 and yes went to ACAP along with my wife, and yet as of August 2009 I was eligible to transfer but unfortuenently with my terminal leave I was already out on transition, even though I was eligible it appears after speaking with VA and DOD case manager I had to apply for this prior to leaving? and therefor my kids cannot recieve this entitlement in which they were entitled too. Is this fair? is this right? The program was in its infancy and now we the veteran and our children are paying for not being properly educated in the process, I suggest to stick to your own and always be on the side of those who served no matter what their excused may be, they deserve better.

• fgarcia,

Yes, I think this is not only right but fair also. The transferability of the GI Bill was never meant to be permanent, only meant to be an incentive for a certain period of time. Kind of like that $40,000.00 dollar bonus they had several years ago just to join the Army.

I see you used the word Entitlement above without actually understanding just how how CARROTS work. The problem I've seen with the process of how the different services use these Carrots/Incentives is not being able to make some soldiers understand that all these different bonuses, incentives, etc. work. For some reason, many soldiers can't get it through there heads that they are just not owed all these different things that were never meant to be ENTITLEMENTS.

• Idmtmedic says:

Lmao…….a CARROT is akin to the APPLE in Eden……don't you think? You have yet to explain YOUR entitlements. Very clear according to you. Only took the supreme court to decide one of them yet you knew it all along, lmao. Now explain your entitlements again? Very simple. What are they?

• I retired in May of '08 after more than 20 years of active duty. I did four combat tours to Afghanistan. My service wasn't as valuable to the nation, and thus I was not granted transferability rights.

• Eric,

Your value wasn't gaged by whether you received or did not receive transferability rights of your GI Bill! Should you read the article, it explains "transferability rights" from when it was enacted up until now.

14. twinlabs says:

my nephew went to his “retirement counseling” today. he is being medically retired with less than 20 years. we spoke to a rep from the VA and the “benefits guy” who explained DOD stuff. What is ACAP? there were no folks from the local Education Center. it doesn’t surprise me at all that the people with the previous comments were not aware that you couldn’t transfer the Post 9/11 GI benefits after retiring. fortunately, my nephew was told today. however, they were NOT aware that he could get is SGLI premiums paid for because he is 100% disabled. I had to tell them. secondly, we were not made aware of this 100% Yellow Ribbon Program, and wouldn’t have known had i not visited this comments section.

doesn’t surprise me at all that the above folks were not notified.

15. I retired last August after 22 yrs in the Air Force. There was a 'retirement' clause in 2011 and I was told it only lasted for one year. So, since I retired in 2012, I couldn't transfer any of my benefits to my kid. I checked on this months before I retired and it was discussed in my Transition Assistance Program (TAP) class. Unfortunately, I missed the window. Would be nice if they bring this back for active duty members.

16. Proud USMC/USN Mom says:

My DH served just as honorably as any of you here, yet he could not even use his OWN benefits (time ran out while supporting family before he could make enough time to complete his degree). The original purpose of the GI bill was to allow service members to "pick up where they left off", and then secure their futures by obtaining an education. This is a far cry from providing degrees for multiple family members. And, truthfully, military pay has increased substantially from what it once was – many a military job actually pays more than an equivalent civilian job BEFORE including the value of transferred benefits.

It's a great theory to transfer benefits to family but the reality is we (the gov't spends OUR money) must all pay for it (service members included). We are in a fiscal crisis; expecting something (4 more years of service) in exchange for a large financial commitment is not unreasonable.

To the person out with high tenure: your impending tenure was not a "sudden" revelation. While you could not have extended, there were other options earlier on, no? Unfortunately, the whole "higher tenure" issue is inconsistent at best – if you have a CO that knows how to "play the game" and values your skills enough, you are more likely to dodge that bullet. Also, IMO, it often puts out people with excellent skills and knowledge but lesser "testing" skills. That's a whole different conversation, though…

JEB, I agree – the GI Bill should cover a great expanse of certification programs to allow a veteran to begin or enhance a civilian career.

HSuits, The GI Bill is available during active duty, yet many did not need to use it because they could take X credits per year for free without touching the benefits (amt varied with branch). It's not as if no retiree ever received educational benefits. Plus, a 40 yr old can have 22 yrs of service, which likely means more than 25 years to go in the civilian world. If they didn't obtain a degree, they often need one in the civilian world DESPITE extensive experience. I don't agree with the rationale "What does [s]he need it for? [Family] should be able to use it instead." – that is far from always the case. A college degree is what a HS degree was years ago: a door opener.

• Your DH couldn't use his benefits before time ran out?? From its inception, the GI Bill – any iteration since 1966 – requires the 'benefit' to be used within 10 years of separation. In 10 years he couldn't find time?

I worked a full time job, maintained a household, worked a part time job, took correspondence courses AND attended night classes to take advantage of the GI Bill well befor the 10 years ran out.

When something is REALLY IMPORTANT to a person, they MAKE the time to accomplish it.

So fed up w/lazy excuses.

US Army, Retired

17. Twinlabs…….
    Check out Chapter 33. Your nephew should qualify for that. It will pay for school. Its a VA program. Fill out the application and sign up for it.

18. Russell1969 says:

Once you leave the Military they or VA gives a dam about you! Tell me I am wrong.

• Russell1969,

I disagree, I've yet to be screwed by the Service. I knew what my benefits were before I retired and I've gotten everything I was promised.

• Russell1969 says:

Charles when do you join the military? Was it prior to 1969? If so have you got every benefit promised like free dental, free health care 50% retired pay the list goes on. I have no regrets for serving I loved the military and what it stands for but many promises have been broken. Russ Withrow

• Russell1969,

March of 1969. There was never free Dental or Health Care promised. In 1967 there was CHAMPUS. Anyone saying they were told they had all that stuff for free, my question, is how is that working out for you?????

• Russell1969 says:

Charles: I spent my entire adult life in the USAF and as an ART I have a great retirement or should I say retirements, I retired Active duty and Civil Service as a Air Reserve Technician, I had to forgo drawing my active duty retirement to go in the Reserves and Civil Service doing the same job I did on Active duty the 2 retirements have paid off in this crappy economy. I retired in 2006 after 7 tours between Afghan and Iraq. The years I spent in the Reserve and promotions really jacked up my retirement pay. I retired as a WS-10 SMSgt and to tell you the truth I loved my job I stayed deployed from 2001 until 2006 served in every conflict except Grenada. Started out as a aircraft electrician retired as Production Super over all Aircraft Maintenance. How about you what is your prior service?Russ

• Idmtmedic says:

Russel, he has a web site that explains his sacrifices. Read it and then discuss. ;)

• Russell1969,

Just click on my name, and it will take you to a website where you will find my DD Form 214/215. I posted that information away from this site because the guy that signs on as "idmedic" kept asking me personal questions time and time again that didn't have anything to do with the blog.

Don't get me wrong, you haven't reached the stage of becoming a personal questions pest at all. Anyway, that is why I made that site, so when he kept asking those questions, I would just post the site addy and refer him there.

• Idmtmedic says:

Lmao, yea and it explains ALOT. So check it out. Those deployments must have been hell.

• Russell1969 says:

Charles: I have nodesire to get personal I do want to thank you for your many years of service, I never give out personal data. I did spend allot of time at Ft Campbell working with the Army doing air drops of troops and equipment, they are a huge part of SOF and we at AFSOC worked hand in hand with Airborne as well as with SEALS. Work was never boring, and it made working in the AOR's a piece of cake since we knew each others functions. I like being retired but sure miss the excitement and the people.Russ

• Idmtmedic says:

C130's?

• Idmtmedic says:

Hurlburt?

• Russell1969,

Thanks for you're support of our Country also. Also, I don't mind anyone getting personal with me, I just feel this forum isn't the place for it, and no, you haven't gotten personal with me at all.

Anyway, the reason for that site I opened, that was just a place that "idmedic" could get personal and ask all those questions having nothing to do with all these different blogs. Unfortunately, he didn't want to take his fascination with me somewhere else, he wanted to do it here so he could get pats on the back so to speak.

Later Russell.

• Idmtmedic says:

Lmao, I'm all for a VETERAN supporting other VETRANS. I am hoping most will do their research and understand where VETERANS fall in regards to benefits, entitlements, CARROTS and the relationship between 20 years of sacrice and the opinions of those that DO NOT SUPPORT THEM!!!! To include YOU. Hopefully as your OPINIONS are more public then most will understand the position you take. I encourage every veteran to review many comments on past blogs and understand WHY a BS opinion is just that.

19. Charles Morris says:

So I retired June 2006 , can I transfer my post 9/11 to my son

• No, only those who retired after Aug '09 can transfer the benefits. And for those they had to meet the requirements for making the transfer before a certain date or else lose the transferability. I personally wrote the president and my representatives before this bill was signed into law asking that they provide this benefit to all service members who had served 20 years as of the legislation going into law, but unfortunately I was ignored.

• Eric,

To more understand "Transferability Rules", you need to read the article and understand why they did this. This was done as a reenlistment incentive. It has served it's purpose, and now it is going away as planned.

• I agree with Eric wholeheartedly. If this is a post 9/11 bill, then it should be treated as such for our dependents who we raised during that time frame on active duty. To wait till Aug 09 is a such a travesty. Now we're stuck with paying our children's education.

20. I retired in Apr 2011 after 34 years of service and my (EX)wife left and took part of my retirement. I remarried and can't transfer my GI Bill to my new spouse who will take care of me when my disability renders me immobile. Why can't I TEB to my new beloved who has already earned it?

• DLB,

The way I understand you, is that since you can't transfer the your GI Bill your new wife, she is going to leave you when you become disabled?????

Anyway, the reason you can't transfer your GI Bill, is because it wasn't part of your "Retirement Package".

Just a note: Everyone doesn't get the same benefits as everyone else.

• Idmtmedic says:

Entitelments? Benefits? Or Carrots? Which ones are legally available by year? Which one can a VETERAN rely on after 20? Name any and all that are safe from cuts? Now who earned the GI bill and why is it not up to the VETERAN to decide what and where it goes? If a spouse has a claim to military CARROTS, Benifits, or Entitlements then how is it that a RETIRED VETERAN has no access to Prime because of 40 miles yet a spouse is legally able to take part of a benefit he or she did not earn? Explain it for all of us. If WE didn't pay into it then he or she didn't either.

• idmedic,

The subject is "GI Bill Policy Update: Transferability Rules"!

• my answer? Because what we are promised applies the day we retire. It should be carved in stone, not subject to change when the next politician comes on board and decides it needs to be rescinded. Notice lately? Tricare fee's going up, (Prime option) being taken from some retiree's but not all, now they want the COLA they promised to be "1% less for those who are working age retired"… oh, yeh, the new "working age retired" phrase that came into effect this year!

If polticians aren't held to their promises we lose all of them.

21. Ol' Badger says:

I retired in April, 2009. The transfer option was announced in August. As far as I know, I cannot transfer my educational benefit, regardless of the fact that I had over 39 years service. I would like an amendment to policy so I could perform the transfer, as I probably will never use this benefit, and still have one child in college.

• We are in the same situation and I do hope they will amend this policy. We have one about to attend graduate school, and two more to follow into college. This added benefit would help us tremendously.

• Ol' Badger,

Ask yourself, why they allowed this in the first place. Then ask yourselves if you still qualify.

• I agree you should get the benefit. good luck!!!

22. street kid says:

As for transferring GI Bill- I am in mid 60s. I was enlisted in USMC late 60s. Later on I spent years in Army and Army Reserves.
    At Fort Benning in late July or early Aug 2009, a very wise NG Texas SGM sat w me on computer as I completed form to transfer GI Bill benefits to my daughter. I printed a COPY of the completed paperwork which had clearly been submitted.
    In 2011 I was told by DOD that I never did the paperwork BUT I had saved that COPY so it was accepted. I was in Army Reserves through 2011.
    It is sad to see that a retiree has to file for transferring benefits before they leave the military, that is, before the last day of military duty. I have seen cases where retiree was told they could not transfer benefits because they did not apply before the actual day of retirement.
    Were it not for a single piece of paper, I could not have gotten the benefits for my kid- and all because a savvy SGM sat with me and made sure we both got copies of what we put in the computer.

23. All,

• yeh, so this genius colonel poop (the LtC cluster) has more say than the POTUS/CINC? He is the one who approved the law to transfer.

This dink was trying to save the Army the money it was going to cost… not.

24. does any one know when that 4 yr obligation starts? Is it at the time of the transfer or when the benefit actually is used?

25. street kid says:

I think the best I can come up with is to say to those who did not know about signing up BEFORE the last day of service is to see if you can make a case for this before veterans organizations and politicians. It is like those many vets who had injuries but never went to sick call but in the future were able to get reliable service members to vouch for them and thus the VA accepted their claims (be it a shoulder injury in Somalia etc). I guess it was over a year ago that I read about a Marine Corps Colonel who retired but did not know he had to sign up for the GI Bill Tranferability program (I think his story was in the Marine Corps Times or Army Times newspaper).
    So perhaps see your congress person and say that in your case you honestly did not know. This Marine Corps full bird just did not know. Maybe with enough vets banding together, this GI Bill law can be changed. And for those that do apply, print out a COPY or two and guard it.

26. ordinance_Sgt says:

This is totally a screw job to all vets who have served in any war and have honorably served our country. you should have the right to transfer your GI bill that you paid for to anyone in your family regardless of if your active duty or retired..I for one will be bringing this up to my congressman.

27. I retired 18 years ago and never was told about transferring my gi bill where do I get the information is time my daughter needs to finish and I cannot afford t at th

• You weren't eligible then. It only came into law in 2009 (I heard "it was coming" from 83-09, and was sure it'd never happen). I got by by the skin of my teeth because I retired the month it came into effect, 1 Aug 09 – which technically meant I retired 31 Jul and was "retired" 1 Aug … only to get a email from the USAF about 2 weeks prior saying "there was a mis-interpretation in the wording. You have to be on active duty 1 Aug for it to be transferable. As you have a 31 July retirement date, meaning effective 1 Aug (you are retired), and if you intended to transfer to dependents, let us know and we will extend your retirement to 31 Aug with a retirement 1 Sept"

I was amazed. I never thought they'd care, but they did! My son used 23 months of the 36 college months of my Post-9/11 GI Bill (hands down better than the old GI Bill) before he age out at age 26.

I have Obama to thank for it, but truth be told, it's another fleecing of America. Just like the "put people back to work" and the "auto industry bailout" he has driven us to the financial state our nation is in. This bill? My son received my earned 4 (calender) yrs of college (so 36 months total). Uh, full tuition (cap is real high per year), PLUS E5 single rate BAH for the school location and about $1K a year for books.

My son's 23 months cost the taxpayers $28K for BAH and books alone. He went to a tech institute for 5 months (he was finishing up when I could transfer it) plus 2 years at a community college. I think it was about $12K in tuition.

Using it as an average, $40K over 23 months means 36 months would've been about $60-65K. Now, take every GI who retires who would NOT have used it who gives it to a dependent (or two, you can choose how many of the 36 months go to however many dependents, so 3 at 12 months, or use it for the pricy school and pay for the other kids cheaper one…) and that is a whole lot of money being spent.

And kids who might've been sent to a community college might go to a pricier one… why not, money is not an option (problem)!

I wonder why that hasn't been taken back with all this money scrambling they are doing.

• meant to say "As you have a 31 July retirement date, meaning effective 1 Aug (you are retired), you are not on active duty so are not eligible to transfer it. However, if you intended to transfer to dependents"…

28. Is my husband still have a chance to transfer his G.I Bill to our daughter, he re enlist 2010-2016 and he will retire on April 2018. Is there a number to call for more question? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

29. I keep asking the same simple question but no one seems to have an answer "I have 17 and 1/2 years active duty and have a HYT of 20 years as an E6 it is impossible to obligate 4 years to transfer benefits. The instruction says I need to obligate 4yrs unless unable to by DOD policy well I am unable because policy says as an E6 in the navy I can only serve 20yrs so what do I do? who knows the answer the VA don't nether does the college office, PSD, Command Career counselors