Veterans Day Discounts and Freebies

November 09, 2010 | Terry Howell

Who says there’s no such thing as a free lunch? Okay, it’s true that there’s ALWAYS a catch – except on Veterans Day.

Many businesses honor Veterans and Servicemembers by offering Veterans Day discounts on goods, services and dining. Most businesses require some proof of military service, this includes a VA Universal Access Card, Military I.D., DD-214 (Discharge Papers) or in some cases a picture of the veteran in uniform.

Be aware that not all franchise locations participate in their national chain’s Veterans Day programs, be sure contact your nearest establishment to be sure they are participating.

The following islist of current veteran and military discounts, Buy One Get One (BOGO) offerings, and even includes some honest-to-goodness free meals:

Veterans Day Restaurant Offerings:

Abuelo’s Mexican Food – Abuelo’s offerings vary by region, be sure to call ahead to see what the discounts or freebies are included.

Applebees – All veterans and active duty military eat free from a limited menu at Applebee’s on Veterans Day (Nov. 11).

Chili’s – Veterans and active duty dine for free from a special limited six item menu on Veterans Day.

Golden Corral – Golden Corral Restaurants’ Military Appreciation Monday free dinner will be available on November 15, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.

Hooters – All Veterans and active duty eat free. The free entrees must be selected from a special Veterans Day menu.

Krispy Kreme – All active-duty, retirees & veterans get a free doughnut on Veterans Day. Be sure to call ahead to verify your local Krispy Kreme is participating.

McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants – Participating McCormick & Schmick’s Seafood Restaurants restaurants offer a complimentary entree to vets from a special menu on a space available basis, online reservations are highly recommended.

Outback Steakhouse – Veterans and active-duty military get a complimentary Bloomin’ Onion and non-alcoholic beverage on Veterans Day.

UNO Chicago Grill – UNO is offering a Buy One Get One free offer to Servicemembers or Veterans with a military or veteran I.D. or in uniform or with a photo of themselves in uniform. The Veterans Day BOGO offer includes a free entree or individual pizza, with the purchase of an entree or pizza of equal or greater value.

Texas Roadhouse – Free meal from opening until 4pm. on Veterans Day. Call ahead to your local restaurant for more information.

T.G.I. Friday’s – Veterans and Servicemembers Buy one get one free from Nov 11-14. Contact your nearest location for more details on their Veterans Day BOGO offer.

Veterans Day Retailer Offerings:

The Dollar General – Veterans, Servicemembers (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families will receive a 10-percent discount with a Veterans Day coupon. The coupon may be found in store circular ads or by asking a sales associate.

Home Depot  – Offers a 10 percent discount to all Veterans during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day.

Lowe’s – All veterans receive the 10-percent discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The offer is available in stores only and is limited to in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000.

Sam’s Club – Sam’s give away 36,000 collapsible Hugo Canes on Veterans Day to military veterans in need of mobility assistance. Sam’s Club will require membership for this offer, but proof of service may be necessary.

Year-Round Veterans Discounts:

Foot Locker – Veterans, Servicemembers (Active, Guard, and Reserve), and their immediate families with a Foot Locker Veterans Advantage Card receive a 20 percent discount every day of the year. That offer is good both online and at any store location, including Foot Locker, Lady Foot Locker, Kids Foot Locker, Footaction and Champs Sports — even on sale items. Learn more about the Foot Locker Veterans Advantage offer.

Home Depot  – Offers a 10 percent discount (up to a $500 maximum) to all active military, reserve, retired or disabled veterans and their family members with a valid military ID. All other veterans qualify for a 10 percent discount during Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Independence Day. Learn more about the Home Depot Military Discount program.

Lowe’s – Lowe’s offers a year-round 10 percent discount offer for all active duty, National Guard and Reserve, retirees and disabled Servicemembers and their immediate families. All other veterans receive the 10-percent discount on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day and the Fourth of July. The discount is available on in-stock and special-order purchases of up to $5,000. The offer can’t be used on sales at Lowes.com, on previous sales or on sales of services or gift cards. You must present a valid military I.D. card to receive the discount.

Sports Clips Haircuts – The men’s hair salon chain is offering a free haircut to active military and veterans on Veterans Day.

Comments

1. You all out there Happy Veterans Day!!!!!!!

2. How long must one serve to qualify as a veteran?

• VA Employee says:

A Veteran is anyone who had served in the Military. There is no time requirement. Whit that said, for VA purposes prior to 1981 if you served 1 day of active duty for other than training you are eligible at the VA. After 1981, you must have served 24 consecutive months for the active component, and the entire activation period for NG and reserve.

3. SPC Asher, US Army says:

You must serve at least 4 months active duty to be considered a veteran.

• Cpl Morales USMC says:

That's wrong you either serve over seas Iraq or Afghan to be a veteran. Not being in four months.

• Terry Howell says:

There is no requirement to have been in combat or in Iraq/Afghanistan to be a veteran.

• Kryssie143 says:

No thats untrue. To be a veteran of a foreign war then yes you"d have to go overseas, however you can still earn the title as veteran as long as you are serving or have served.

• VA Employee says:

• George Young says:

I served 3 years in the army from 64 thru 67 during Veitnam but I only served in Germany and the states. I was told at the Vet office yesterday
            ( 5-20-11) that I could not get an ID card to show for discounts. The man also told me to fix a fake one which I would not do. I was very disapointed that I was not able to get a card just because I wasn't injured in the war or did not actually serve in the war zone. I volunteered for Nam but was sent to Germany instead. Everyone couldn't go to Nam and I was one of the lucky ones that didn't. So how do I get a card? legally? I served my 3 years and feel that I should be able to get at least the store discounts.

Read more: http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2010/11/vet
            MilitaryAdvantage.Military.com

• Try bringing a copy of your DD214 (discharge). I know that Home Depot and Lowes will usually accept that document along with a with a picture ID.

• Theressa says:

Thanks VA Employee. I retired from the Army Reserve after 22 years and 4 months of service. I never thought of myself as a veteran because I never served over seas.

Thanks,

Theressa

• 180 days of Active Duty service qualifies for status as Veteran

4. Sports Clips haircuts aren't free in Colorado Springs. Just $2 off.

5. DanaofReno says:

I sent this in to our local NBC station and it was not read on air. I also posted this on FACEBOOK, with only a few responses.
    It is truly a shame that some of our US citizens are more concerned about adult stores, violence, smoking, and other dubious influences on the morals of our country.PLEASE READ ON:
    I want to acknowledge a particular company in Paradise which is honoring our Veterans with a free SubWay sandwich. My husband is a Disabled Viet Nam Veteran; we had not seen any advertising regarding this special offer. So, for us it was a welcomed surprise. And congratulation. They did NOT require an ID, however my husband showed it at my instance, (vet advocate that I am). However, there was a younger gentleman ahead of us who, after hearing us, requested the same. When asked for his ID, he said he didn’t have it on him. Now, I don’t like being negative, but it sure seemed weird he didn’t have it. I don’t know any Veteran that does not carry one. Again, a thousand kudos to the SubWay in the K-MART shopping Center on Clark Road, in Paradise.
    Dana Morrison; Magalia, California

• George Young says:

6. Many establishments who offer Vet discounts want to see an ID. Vets don't have Vet ID's unless disabled. I was not able to get a Vet discount at Sears and I served 4 years Active.

• axehandlebill says:

Veterans ID can be picked up at any veterans hospital..you don't have to be disabled…just have your dd-214 when you go..that's a veterans ID, and by the way any one that served in the armed forces is a veteran…..that's what you are and called after you get out..if its in country or out of country, your still a veteran…dam I wish you all can get this right…I'm a 100% disabled veteran and it says service connected on my veterans card…

• Desert Storm Vet says:

I am a vet and serviced for 8 years and while we don't have a ID card they wiil except your DD214 with your drivers license. I've done it each year since I got out in 1992.

7. George Young says:

Read more: http://militaryadvantage.military.com/2010/11/vet
    MilitaryAdvantage.Military.com

• Desert Storm Vet says:

Hey Fellow Vet, I alway's just show my DD214 with my drivers license and have never had a problem.

• If you have a VA identification card, or more importantly, a DD 214 which proves you did Active Duty Military time, you are a veteran.
      SFC Major, MN ARNG, 23 year veteran.

• Dear George Young,
      I served about a year in Germany broken up around my first 16 months in Iraq. I can tell you that it is not the same as serving in combat. These men and women have earned their Veterans status in ways that are hard to imagine, even for someone who served. This is why organizations like the VFW have guidelines for membership based on when and where one served. Thank you for your service to our country. You have much to be proud of.
      Pax Christi, Will

• USE dd214

• Greta Williams says:

I served 3 years, a copy of your old military ID and DD 214 is what I take to places and I've had no problems. gmw

• George, you can get a military ID at your local county clerk office. You have to show your DD214 and another ID, and the cost is $10.
      If you live in the Macomb County area of MI, the phone # of the office is
      586- 469-5120. There will be selections to push various numbers, disregards those and push "0", you will get a person and they will tell you the days and time they issue the Veterans ID card. You don't wait days for it, they will give it to you immediately. John USMC

• Just show Your VA card – You can get th VA picture ID card at the VA hospital Admin office. Wlcome Home and thanks for Your service Brother !

• Chip Anders says:

If you get V.A. health benefits, you should have gotten a card with picture. If you don,t, contact the V.A. at 1-800-724-1000 and apply for medical benefits. Also, if you had any injuries on active duty that bother you now, then apply for disability compensation too.

• that not fear to there wifes and kids dont get to eat free they have to deal with the army to and everything

8. Ron Elliott says:

George, it is true that you can go into the VA, fill our all of the forms, and get an ID. It is a V.A. I.D. You may not get any medical help…but you can get the ID. If I am wrong, I hope ten of you will jump on here and correct me. I am 74 and dont get it all right very often. I have used my VA card a hundred times with never a question asked…just plunk it down.

9. if you are near a VA Hospital, get registered and you will receive a VA Hospital picture ID. You cannot get one unless you are Veteran. Most of the stores accept it as they are Proud of Veterans. I frankly got tired carrying the DD214 around even after having it reduced.

As to that person who suggested to make a fake ID should be investigated. That person is part of the problem that Veterans have in the system. Turn the bum inn. This is a family sight and most know another name. HA!HA!

Adapt, Overcome and Improvise. Semper Fi, Be Well and God Protect All in Harm's Way.

10. Adam Dunlop says:

The Foot Locker discount costs money. $4.95 processing and then a yearly charge of $60. Not sure if thats really worth 20% off. Guess it depends on how much you buy there.

11. Check to see if your state has this, if not contact your governor: ". . . veterans across the state of Florida will now be recognized and honored for their military service through their driver's license or identification card.

Gov. Rick Scott signed HB 1165, allowing veterans who have served their nation honorably and live in Florida, the privilege to add a veteran designation to their driver's license."

Gordon HM2
    US NAVY / MARINES / ARMY
    'Nam '69-'70

12. i wasnt wounded or even saw combat while in the navy from 1972 to 1973. i went to the hines va clinic and recieved a veterans ID card for free by showing my dd-214.

13. There is nothing about the SportsClips deal – the link is just to their site which has nothing on it. The local store didn't know anything about it.

14. I have always just used my VFW membership card and have had no problems.

15. If you are planning to go to Golden Corral, please note that Military.com has the date and time wrong. Click on the Golden Corral link and find that the Free Meal is on Veterans Day, 12 November 2012, from 1600-2100. Enjoy and thanks for your Service. I'll see you in Waynsboro, Pennsylvania.

16. retired grunt says:

I live in Colorado Springs, Co., the Sportclips down here was closed on Veterans Day. Does it carry onto tomorrow?

17. Does Subway have free Vets Day 6 inch subs this year ?