Medal of Honor Benefits

November 16, 2010 | Terry Howell

The news about the extraordinary heroism of our recent Medal of Honor recipient brings up an interesting question – what benefits and privileges do Medal of Honor recipients get?

Medal of Honor recipients receive the following privileges and special benefits:

• A Special Medal of Honor pension of $1,237 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible.
  • Special entitlements to Space “A” air transportation.
  • Enlisted recipients are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.
  • Commissary and exchange privileges (includes eligible dependents).
  • Admission to the United States military academies for qualified children of recipients – without nomination and quota requirements.
  • 10 percent increase in retired pay.
  • Medal of Honor Flag.
  • Allowed to wear the uniform at anytime as long as the standard restrictions are observed.
  • Many states offer Medal of Honor automobile license plates.
  • Interment at Arlington National Cemetery if not otherwise eligible.

Learn more about the Medal of Honor.

Comments

1. Yes, He deservese some money period and maybe a special reference for his future applications.If this guy got the medal of honor then he deserves the finest things,maybe someone start a fund people donate to for medal of honor trops that are alive cause im sure the dececed,god rest their souls,get benifits for the familys. and if we are not doing these things for these people then we lost the war.(GREED) is killing our human race slowly but surely .Just dont understand why we all can love one another.

2. NO AUTOMATIC PROMOTION TO THE NEXT PAY GRADE?? terry

3. Paul R Ogle says:

The monthly pension that a Medal of Honor receipient gets should be tax free. Whatever the service member did to receive the Medal of Honor is highly commendable and therefore, their pension, both Military and Civilian should be tax free. They should never be required to pay taxes for the rest of their life.

• Frank Smith says:

The monthly pension that a Medal of Honor receipent recieves is "TAX FREE", and is awarded by the Veterans Administration. If he stays 20 plus years and qualifies for retiement pay (which is taxable), the MOH monies is in addition to the retirement pay.

4. I'm sure a Medal of Honor Recipient would get very special attention when it's comes to a Promotion.

5. Francis says:

The constitution calls all service veterens Most Honored Citzens,and we who serviced call them who died Heroes MOH persons are the degigned hero that surived the battle,and remind other while combat is butchery and carrys a wound that all will be scared with,the singled out hero the medal carryer stands for all us who defeated our fear to pretect our way of life.where freedom of thought and freedon to vote for our beliefs are at this time still in tact,but,they are under assult by the left and the right both who believes that their way is best.our service men and now women are the protecter's of this idea and God help us if either extremes keep or get power.MOH is an honor and they deserve "NO TAXES" and every coursty we can give them for they carry the banner of our dead heroes around their neck

• Not that I don't believe in honoring MoH winners, but I don't find what you claim in the Constitution. Care to provide article & section of the Constitution?

• Bill Maryak says:

It is only rarely that it is for the 'hero that survived'. The majority are aware posthumously.

6. pitcher says:

What year did the pay start and how much.

7. I disagree with you Andrew, on the point that 'taxes' should always be paid by everyone. While I agree that the exemptions should be monitored and strictly enforced so some parasitic elements in our society are not discreetly added to that list. But I feel that the immediate family of our military members that are KIA's should be exempt from paying future taxes. I mean they have lost their son, daughter…how much more can they contribute to society than their children. Military members are less than 1% of the American population…their taxes will not be missed. But their children will be!

8. Medal of Honor recipients are required to be promoted at the first opportunity if eligible.

9. william mills says:

the medal of honor winners deserves everything that is entitled to the medal of honor winner.

• There are no winners…only recipients. There was no raffle held.

• Thank you. I see that a lot. Same for the Purple Heart. "Wow, you won the Purple Heart?" Yeah, I just entered the contest online, and then they called me up to tell me I've won! RECIPIENT, people! It's not a game. Good call, Rich.

10. those who are eligible and refuse service for their country should be taxed to ensure the children of those who made the ultimate sacrifice receive a collage education. those who refuse to serve should not be allowed to ride on the backs
    of those who gave all in defense of their country. at no cost to themselves.

• Shut up moron.

• retiree says:

Including reserves, there are around 2 million military billets. There is no way every eligible adult could serve. Therefore your suggestion is equivilent to taxing people for failure to win the lottery.

• "collage" apparently your father wasn't a MOH recipient….

11. Stacey Bruce-Nolan says:

I am the adult daughter of a MoH recipient. Am I eligible for any benefits besides college tuition?

• retiree says:

Your father earned the Medal of Honor, not you.

• You know that is a pathetic answer, these awards are by and large awarded posthumously. Be helpful and compassionate or don't reply
        R/
        HMC(SW)(ret)

• Ma'am,
      The list above is standard but I would contact http://www.purpleheart.org/
      to see if there are any additional benefits that are not on the list.

Write explain your situation and ask for help.
      Respectfully
      Doc

• Contact your Congressman he should help !

12. They deserve it n I would add some more to it if I could

13. Andy Howey says:

If a person is awarded a second MoH (there have been a few), does he receive a stipend for the second one in addition to the first? Or, does he only get a stipend for the first award?

14. Will Sekzer says:

I aplied for a VA Disability Pension and I was first declared to be 40% disabled. I received a booklet from the VA describing all the medical services I am entitled to. I was told that I was in Level 2. There are 9 levels with Level 1 being the highest. So I was in the 2nd highest level with a 40% disability award.

I was then totally shocked to see that a Medal of Honor recipient is in Level 3 – one level below me. Why is a MOH recipient in any level other than #1. I'm embarrassed by that.

I wrote to my state senator advising him of this egregious insult to MOH recipients. I have yet to hear back from him. I didn't even get a form letter advising me that "the situaiton is under investigation."

What a disgrace. I'm ashamed to walk into a VA medical center.

15. J.D. Penix says:

All of those who have been called to war for this great nation should never pay taxes "P E R I O D !" A N D those Heroes that have won the Congressional Medal of Honor should have received allot more than allot of these scum bag politicians that are so so quick to accept all of the glory and benefits but never man enough earn it or even admit it .A coward dies a thousand deaths and for all of You heroes out there who fought and died for me i would have loved to shake your hand and give each and every one of You a welcome home hug and to look every one You in the eye and tell You Thank You and I do make it a point to tell every U.S.AMERICAN War Veteran I see and recognize that . And even if I was 10 foot tall I'd still look up to You All, and I wish I was rich enough to make good on a vow to You All because it would be a world record to see a man go from rich to poverty.No War heroes should ever worry about when there going to get a meal nor shelter .Thanks Daddy for Your sacrifice for me all of those humble to realize the cost of F R E E D O M! May You R est In Peace!

16. Pablo Guardado says:
  17. Pablo Guardado says:
  18. MOH recipients deserves better benefits. Period.

19. Pat Wilson says:

I am a writer and working on a fictional story about a retired Marine…who will, in the course of the story, be awarded a MOH. How are MOH recipients notified they will be awarded a MOH ? I want to be 100% accurate…thank you.

20. You may win the lottery, but you earn your pay check. Members of the United States Military earn the MOH, they don t win the MOH. BIG DIFFERENCE.