2014 Active Duty COLA

December 19, 2013 | Terry Howell

The DoD has released the 2014 Cost-of-living-Allowance (CONUS COLA) rates. As with each year, some areas will see increases while other areas will lose COLA entirely. Several locations including Los Angeles, CA; Ventura, CA; Riverside CA; Joliet Army Depot IL  and NAS Willow Grove, PA were taken off the COLA list for 2014.

Unlike Basic Allowance for Housing, there is no provision in the law for rate protection for COLA. This means that if your location sees a drop in COLA, you will see the reduction reflected in your military paycheck.

Find out what your COLA will be in 2014.

Check out the 2014 Military Pay Calculator.

NOTE: Active Duty Cost-of-Living-Allowance differs from the annual Cost-of-Living-Adjustment that affects Retiree Pay and Disabled Veteran’s VA Compensation programs.

Comments

1. "However, some servicemembers in Yakima, Port Angeles and Aberdeen WA, and Hartford CT will find a nice boost in their 2014 pay checks starting in January, as there locations were aded to the 2014 list."

their*

• thanks for the assist.

• David Siddle says:

You might as well ADD "added", too!

• Silver Lady says:

Wish Hartford, CT had been on a list for COLA when in the area many years ago when children were small, one car, apt living, Fort Devens, Mass, too far away for a many hrs working husband. Port Angeles and Aberdeen, though I have visited did not know so many military resided there. If you folks need it, good for you. Times change and as we all know prices go up and up and never come back down.

2. Well of course NAS Willow Grove, PA isnt on the list, Obama CLOSED it!!!!!!
    A piece of history that goes back prior to WW2, a base that has supported the community and nation for decades. A place I called home for 10 years! No, I will not go quietly into the night!! We have a gov, that is more concerned with GM and bailing out the private sector than supporting and defending this country. As Usual, NO job is impossible, for the man who doesn't have to do it.

• Obama had nothing to do with Willow Groves closure! Willow Grove was was shut down based on recommendations of the BRAC committee in 2005…2005 was right smack in the middle of Bush's administration! I am not defending any administration, but CHECK YOUR FACTS BEFORE YOU GO "ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY." http://www.brac.gov/docs/AppendixCFinalUpdated.pd

• Don you are truly an ignorant asshole! get your facts straight dumbass! Obama was a freshman senator in 2005…the year that Willow Grove was announced for closure!

• Cheryl Gibbs says:

I am a Navy Rug Rat and what this president and congress is doing to our military is shameful and I look at it as this president and congress is slaughtering our own military. It is pretty bad when our military and there families who give up their lives blood sweat and tears so we can enjoy what freedoms we have left can't even feed their own families and have to get food stamps. I feel so bad for our military it just breaks my heart and believe me my farther may he R.I.P is rolling over in his grave.

3. I went to Home Depot and purchased refer It was scheduled for delivery on 4Jan14. I went to the store with my tape measure to be sure that the refer would fit. This was the fun part. I noticed that there was posted a sale price that was less by $300 plus. If I hadn't gone to the store I would have had to pay the selling price. I asked at the Service desk if they would have informed me of the reduced price and they said "no". Then I asked about the military 10% off and they said that it could only be $20. Now compared to Lowe's who gave the full $300 plus off I think Home Depot needs to pay closer attention to what is happening.

• Ah…those who DEMAND a military discount…get over yourself…They don't HAVE to give you anything

• Silver Lady says:

Will take any break given re pricing. Will ask nicely but will not balk if not given. Prices are going up and up for everyone and retired folks sometimes do need higher priced items for those long used and moved many times appliances.

• Yeah…agreed, I ask all the time…but don't ever go on and slam a retailer for not giving you a discount…or a smaller one than think that they need to give…they don't HAVE to give you anything at all…

• Paul brown says:

Your right they don't have to give a discount but they do offer a 10% on the total of the price of purchase, so they need to stay honest and stand behind their offers. My options are to go tho stores they offer discount whether it is a military one, or a senior citizen one, or a handicapped one, or one for stupid people. This does not matter, a discount is a discount. If they do not offer a discount then my alternative is to bypass them and find someone that does give the discount. No one owed this discount of course, but once offered then they should stay the course. Walmart, K-mart, Sears, Target, Macy’s, Kohl’s, Menards, Lowes and many other retailers offer discounts to attract volume business. Do you turn down the discounts offered to you?
        Final comment, get over it

4. Richard Bennison says:

2014 is a good year to start pumping some of the incumbent sewage out of Congress, and follow up in 2016 and 2018. The long timers are so crooked and deceitful I'm surprised they can sleep at night. Many have their heads buried in their butts and have outlived their usefulness as legislators.

5. Ret. Marine says:

Yes and in case you don't know what the BRAC is, it is Base Re-alignment, and Closures. So along with many other bases NAS Willow Grove was on the list to be closed since 2005. Prior to that 1995 proved to be bad news to some other communities that like you did not take it well. So in closing, this is why it is important that when we vote we must ensure that we know who and what we are voting for. The blame game is one of the biggest, but easiest cop outs.

6. While it may be ok to take some of these areas of the COLA list for the Senior Enlisted soldiers and Officers, let us not forget that 70% of our force is comprised of young soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who make less than minimum wage. So, is congress doing the right thing to save a few bucks at the expense of these young men and women? Why not trim the fat elsewhere such as the grants to the Compact/Impact Agreement with the Micronesian islands who are migrating to the Pacific Island and exhausting our resources at the expense of the American people. Let your legislators know.

7. Federal employee says:

As far as the COLA cuts go. We need to seriously think about grandfathering in those retirees who retired prior to this change. We need to start with those retirees that retire as of the date that this new law becomes law. So when are we going to stop harassing the military retirees? Enough is enough!

8. Why does the civilian military active duty has not had a cola increase in the last several years, but yet friends that work for the federal gov. get one every year. Each year homeowners insurance goes up, which I have to pay the increase that not enough on my escrow for that year plus the house payment goes up each month to allow the increase in the escrow for the next yr, until it goes up again. BUT…. not cola to help with all these extra cost each year, all the way from house payment to internet, cable, phone food, gas ALL the above. What is going on with this country. Work and work and just can't get ahead, because everytime you think you may make alittle extra money something else goes up . Sometimes you just feel like giving up and not pay any bills. I'm sure congress gets raises and don't worry about how to buy food next week or how to pay for the cell phone they carry around. Either give cost of living raises or stop having prices go up on EVERYTHING!!! Please