TriWest Loses Bid Protest

Our friend Tom Philpott reported this week that the Government Accountability Office has denied TriWest’s protest challenging the award of a new $20.4 billion regional support contract to UnitedHealth Military & Veterans Services.

Background: In March of this year TriWest had issued a statement citing several reasons why they felt that awarding the contract to UnitedHealth Group was inappropriate.

Here are some of the reasons cited in TriWest’s March press release:

• “…United’s extensive track record of problems with consumers, providers, beneficiaries and government enforcement agencies.”
  • TriWest’s price was significantly lower than UnitedHealth Group’s price.
  • Making the change will cause a disruption in services and will cost the “taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars.
  • The government disregarded hundreds of millions of dollars in healthcare cost savings through discounts guaranteed by TriWest.
  • UnitedHealth Group has no experience providing military health care. TriWest has been providing excellence in military health care for 16 years.

Despite TriWest’s media campaign and lobbying efforts, GAO said its review showed that the bid evaluation process was reasonable. TriWest’s protest was denied on all counts.

This means that after 16 years of dealing with TriWest Healthcare Alliance, nearly 3 million TRICARE beneficiaries living in the western states will have a new regional contractor starting in April 2013.

About the Author

Terry Howell

171 Comments on "TriWest Loses Bid Protest"

1. Where is the rest of the story? It just stops with "here are some of the reasons…"

2. Even if you click Full Story…

3. Waiting for the rest of the story!

4. Phil Bergin | July 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm |

Is there more? Does this affect all Tricare users in the Western States?

5. I just wonder who got paid off on this deal.

6. herman W. Hill, jr. | July 9, 2012 at 6:25 pm |

BUT….what does that really mean for me as a recently instated TriCare for Life Participant? Will I have to pay higher premiums? Will the quality of healthcare services and responses be less than before? Well, this article only taps at the surface of tis issue! As a veteran, I need credible and concrete information before I go off on a rant! Thiere's nothing in this article that would make me "raise an eyebrow"! Last point: SO WHAT?

7. MW Nelson,USAF (Ret) | July 9, 2012 at 6:33 pm |

No….it gives you 5 reasons listed under the "friggin" commercial for USAA. Not much for reasons but who said the gov'mt needed much of a reason. Some Western politician is a few bucks richer and doesn't need to worry about his medical benefits since he/she's definately NOT using Tricare West.

8. N. Swartz | July 9, 2012 at 6:48 pm |

Lowest bid does not always guarantee a contract. Ability to perform also enters into the equation, but Tri_care West has 16 years of experience and has always done right by me. I don't know why the Gov't would go with the highest bidder unless there is profit in somebody's pocket or political favors which is the same thing, money in somebody's pocket.

9. Having dealt with United health care for My husbands Civilian Job, the customer service was lousy. I really am sad. Triwest did a good Job taking care of us as a secondary insurance. I can only pray that UHC will do the same being as they administer (they write the rules that all the other insurances must follow) my husbands civilian job healthcare.

10. I served most of my career on the west coast and came to the east coast for the last 6 years. There is a definite decrease in the quality of care on this coast vice the west coast. Hope the same doesn't happen to all of the military out there now because of this.

11. Bill Senn | July 9, 2012 at 8:04 pm |

Did this contract go to the highest bidder?????

12. I use to work for Tri-West and quit after 6mths due to the company being full of crap as a beneficiary of 10 years I am glad to see them go…WHOOO finally some clean of the house going on and that’s all that needs to be said!!!!!!

13. I hope the new contractor can live up to trwest service. Triwest customer service was really the best especially when I need a insurance problem solved. They did it with understanding and compassion.

14. Not United Healthcare! It's one of the lowest rated out of all the managed healthcare companies. I hope there are standards they are required to maintain.

15. I had United Health in my civilian job, and it was absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with. I believe somebody did get paid off, and I also believe the premiums will increase. I definitely am disturbed with this news. I was hopeful that I would never have to deal with United Health again, and here we go. Does anyone know how much money the CEO of United Health receives – well it is staggering to say the least

16. WHY!!!???? Why would they give everyone insurance from someone that seems to not care about their customers? I just hope that there are rules in place to protect all of us as their customers. I just do not get fixing or changing something when it is not broke. WE as customers are happy with Tricare, leave it alone!!!!

17. When I click on full story nothing comes-up on the rest of the story. I would to known what the whole story said.

18. Jim Oliver | July 10, 2012 at 1:58 am |

I feel that each of us should write our representatives in Congress to protest this outrageous miscarriage of justice. Why was there an option for who would serve the west region in the first place. I wonder how much money was paid to lobbyists and higher ups to vote for United Healthcare. I am sick and tired of how money seems to influence every aspect of our life these days. It is pure fraud and the parties involved are not afraid to be named because we Americans allow ourselves to be led to slaughter like lambs. Come on people. Wake up. It is time for another revolution and I mean now. If we don't act, we have only ourselves to blame for our losing other benefits.

19. Another disappointment from a corrupt government. How could anyone with common sense vote to change to United Heath with its poor record. There should be a congressional investigation on who benefits from this unbelievable decision. TriWest did a great job for 16 years.

20. Gary Derr | July 10, 2012 at 2:34 am |

With Medicare Tricare For Life is free and serves as your gap insurance, so it really doesn't matter who is the servicer. Tricare pays what is not paid by Medicare.

21. John Hardin | July 10, 2012 at 6:59 am |

DOD says they want to save money, yet they go with the higher bidder. If it smells like a payoff and looks like a payoff it must be one. Congress has its nose in every other thing why dp they turn a blind eye to this fraud?

22. I used to work for MetLife in after my retirment. Unfortunately, with United Health Care as our primary coverage, it was a nightmare of endless voice menu's, transfers, "whoops! Sorry… Let me get you to the right person" and last but not least, denied claims for pre-approved authorizations resulting in enough of a delay for the endless chain of calls from Doctors & bill collectors to call. I moved to Phoenix and fell under TRICARE administered by TriWest. What fantastic, prompt, courteous service. I shudder at the thought of falling under UHC again. It's not going to be good for the blood pressure

23. The reason for the switch is this company will most likely be under the ACA exchange and this move will help pay for the new ACA recipients this company will insure. Just a thought….

24. Then the president complains that military healthcare is too hight and we must pay a higher premimum but goes with the higher costing company…….the fix is in…

25. Willard Vogelgesang | July 10, 2012 at 11:09 am |

This won't work and we don't even know the premiums yet. I saw on the internet that the Obama administration hired 4000 new IRS agents for Obamacare if this is true Obama must know already that people won't be able to pay the premiums, more forclosures less pay, people going bankrupt can't you feel the love in Washington for the american people.

26. SUZIE_KNOWS1 | July 10, 2012 at 11:42 am |

Did anyone know this? An article in USA Today, March 16, 2012

TRIWEST LOSES PENTAGON HEALTH CONTRACT AFTER $10M FRAUD FINE!

WASHINGTON – The military awarded an estimated $20 billion contract today to UnitedHealth Military & Veterans — just months after TriWest Healthcare Alliance, which has held the contract since 1996, paid a $10 million fine to settle a Justice Department suit. GO HERE FOR THE LINK:

Wish everyone would get their facts straight. It's not the government who committed fraud. There is a reason why they gave the contract to the highest bidder.

27. I can't believe they would do this! I've heard nothing but extremely poor reports about United Health Care, and have had nothing but good experience and GREAT customer service with TriCare. I agree – it's time for a revolution! It's time to get back to government "…of the people, by the people, for the people." My government would use common sense and remember it's the people that elect them. Oh, no….maybe it's the special interest groups that elect them…

28. I believe Congress knows exactly what they are doing! If getting your hard earned, yet paltry tidbit of promised healthcare is made difficult, many frustrated and disgusted veterans will give up and just go elsewhere. I've seen this even with TriCare, TriWest and the old CHAMPUS. Don't think for one moment Congress is looking out for the Veterans and their families!

29. I wonder who in our "Great Government" owns part of UHC or has family that owns part of it. Follow the money. That is the way it is with ALL government officials. Can't wait till Nov. I am voting to get rid of ALL of them. Both Parties.

30. Kenneth R. Luman | July 10, 2012 at 5:31 pm |

I have had nothing but a GREAT experience from TriCare West. By going to another provider with a less than stellar performance rating. I am sure that asa retire serviceman that our costs will go up, our health care will go down and we will not receive the outstanding customer service that TriCare has provided all these years. It masy be too late but I have contacted our two senators and all of Kansas' representatives to register my disgust with the decision to change from Tricare West.

31. DDKinsley | July 10, 2012 at 6:28 pm |

If you are a disabled veteran with over 80% disability, you have already been MANDATED to get Medicare, which has already cost you more. If you had prescriptions through Walgreens, now you have been MANDATED to pay more elsewhere. This MANDATE to United Health Care is the last bit of insanity. What about all the years it has taken for us to get acceptance with our providers/doctors, and all the procedures that are in planning stages, but not ready to go forward yet, we are back in limbo. TRICARE For Life just went out the door also. How many of us are nervous about a VA provider that doesn't like Vietnam veterans, or are against War on Terrorism veterans. I'm not sure I feel real comfortable going under the knife with them. Some of them are crackerjack doctors, some got their training from a box of cracker-jacks. You were trained as a veterinarian, in some 7th world country and now you are my VA surgeon…ah thanks a lot. Where's King George at, or do I need a doctor-czar to lead me because I am too stupid to understand my own needs. Oh yeah, you aren't allowed to buy a Big Gulp soft drink either, it's been MANDATED out in New York City.

32. Ben Dover | July 10, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

United healthcare is a rip-off organization. There must of been shady dealings in the award of this contract as normal. Kiss your bene'ies goodbye!

33. H. Hebdon | July 10, 2012 at 7:28 pm |

There should be a way that we, as the recipients of services, should be heard with regard to our anger and disbelief. At the same time we are screaming that there needs to be cuts and that TRICARE is really over spending. Further that the cuts and costs should be put upon the retirees and then the DOD, in their questionable wisdom, give a contract to an entity that is not even associated with the TRIWEST Region and who weren't chosen to begin with, and who are charging the Government millions of dollars more than TRIWEST. Additionally, they do not have the network of providers, they will need some form of start-up (is this included?) and they have significant complaints that have been lobbied against them from those they have supposedly served. They do not know our military population and yet there is this belief that it is appropriate to give this contract to the one who ORIGINALLY didn't recieve the nod, but only did when DOD did a reversal of all the contract awards. I think there should be a Congressional inquiry at the very least into this inappropriate plan of spending at a time when the government is CUTTING, CUTTING, CUTTING. What a scandelous shame.

34. I believe there's a bigger problem here. It seems the care under TriCare is either being diluted to cover the costs to the government of covering the previously uninsured, like the $500 billion Medicare "savings" or the Obama administration making a deal with Congress to cut the defense budget. I believe our healthcare is a major part of the cut. TriWest calls FDA approved spinal implants for pain "unapproved" and refuses to cover even though I've had chronic pain and been on pain meds for 20 years. They no longer cover name brand meds that have worked for years and require me to take some generics that don't work as well. My doctor says other insurance have done the same things "since the first of the year." Something must be done for the un or underinsured but not by refusing to cover needed care.

35. I wonder how much AARP was envolved with this bit of insanity. I have always had great service from TriWest and like most others have heard nothing but "bad News" about United. Have you noticed that AARP promotes United and also went for the Obamacare policy. I have heard a lot of promises from our politicians but little with results!!

36. Isn't TriWest an Arizona company? What a predictable way for Chicago politicians to "punish" the state for its policies on illegal immigration.

37. Bob Hinkle | July 11, 2012 at 12:19 pm |

There is a lot of speculation in the comments here. Some really wacky stuff too. Perhaps the article writer could have given about 90% more information relevant to the topic, so as not to incite panic, spawn wild conspiracy theories and keep the rhetoric to a minimum. This poorly written snippet is how damaging rumors get started, and we Veterans have an abundance of those to deal with.

38. Another crock of ****. Since I began serving in 1979, I've seen so many of our benefits eroded. When I started, back then, retirees were provided free medical care for life, then it went to CHAMPUS, and costs were passed on to the retirees. Then to TriCare — and CHAMPUS was better, as I recall. Now it is changing again. But this change is only part of the Pelosi-Reed "shove it down thier throats and blame it on Obama so we stay elected" health-care plan. Recall — it was Pelosi who said "gotta pass this so we can then see what is really in it!" I'm no fan of Mr. Obama – but – even he has found things that in the plan that he has kept from being implemented.

There is only one solution to this craziness —- Remember that November is coming – for those that can – get out and volunteer some time at a local office supporting a candidate – especially either Congressman or Senator (for the 1/3 of all Senators up for election) — and then get your voice heard. Let them know we need to reverse this. April is AFTER the elected take office – and it can be reversed.

39. Is there anything WE can do to fight this travesty against healthcare?

40. So now that Triwest lost its appeal, what will happen to all us retirees that do not use the military hospitals and use local physicians? Will my present physician take this god awful United Health Group insurance? I had very few problems with Triwest/Tricare and now our amazing government is going to screw over millions…YET AGAIN!!!

41. C. Boothe | July 23, 2012 at 2:11 pm |

United health Care is the Company bailed out by the Obama administration to a tune of $85 Billion dollars and still owes the US Government , we the tax payers, over $60 Billion and GAO has reported that we proably will never see the rest of the money. IT has been reported that United Health Care is rated the worst in the business by JD powers and Consumer reports. Thanks Obama for your Health Care Fiasco

42. Why am I not surprised. This is the most corrupt Administration in history. TriWest is an outstanding company. Sadly, we are losing a good friend to the military and our family members.

43. B. you are a very small minded racial bigot, and finally wading thru your rant, you are also an ignorant idiot that doesn't have a clue about you are ranting about. The article was about TriWest Healthcare, but no where in your ramblings did you mention them. One can only assume you missed your Meds this morning, so be a good little person and call the nurse.

44. Typical Obama Administration tactics. United Healthcare is in bed with SEIU. They received a 70 million bailout from the very president that is trying to ruin this Country.

45. Pat Carter | July 23, 2012 at 2:28 pm |

The old saying with a twist. IT AINT BROKE, SO LETS FIX IT

What a crock. A deeper look into why this United Health Insurance might reveal what most of us believe. In bed with some Liberal yahoo

46. Just when the goverment has somethig that really works with out any problem. The goverment has to jump in and mess it up as they useally do.

47. larry sayrs | July 23, 2012 at 2:30 pm |

I don't understand. If TriWest underbid United and has been giving good service what the hell is GAO doing contracting United. If TriWest Still owes the government money and is still underbidding, the government is stupid to cut them off. We will never get the money back it owes. Sometimes I think that the Government does't like the people that protect it from its enemy , the outside world. Some of us are in pain for the rest of our lives because of what we did in the military and now we have to worry about health care tooooooo.
    O'well we were cannon fodder then and continue to be cannon fodder now.
    l.sayrs ret cwo

48. dave gray ret. usaf | July 23, 2012 at 2:32 pm |

Is united health in the back pocket of people in the white house tri was good for all, what about the fixed income retirees and disabled disabled vets who don’t get any help from the value

49. In my "working years", I was an RN in Home Health Care, and knew more than an average amount about various Insurances and their coverages. United, though far from the worst (Postal Workers Insurance beats all hands down), United is not the best either for covering and taking care of their insured. My employers had them as our coverage for only a few years before we all were switched to CIGNA, which was a definite improvement. We never had TRI WEST as an option in Colorado, but the Military Families that did, and that we cared for always knew they were cared for by the insurance when they needed it the most. As a receiver now of TRI WEST benefits (my husband is retired Military), we have experienced first hand the benefits, and found them to be fairly good (only once was I referred to a surgeon I did not want, and ended up with some unwanted permanent affects from this surgeons "poor job"). I did convey this to TRI WEST for future reference when referring to this surgeon.

50. M.C. Mumma III | July 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm |

Trust in any of this current administration? How silly!

51. Just a quick reminder: the Tricare benefits are determined by our Congress. TriWest, and soon United Health Care, only administer those benefits. In other words, they do the paperwork, answer the phones, make the calculations, etc. They cannot reduce our benefits. Only Congress can do that. And, last I checked, half of Congress was controlled by Republicans. If you feel your benefits are going down the tubes, call your Representative, don't blame Tricare, CHAMPUS, Medicare, Obamacare, or any other *.care, And don't blame the White House.

52. Labsmeanmama | July 23, 2012 at 2:35 pm |

I haven't had such great luck with TriWest – my daughter turned 21 and we had no notice that her coverage had lapsed – our local clinic advised her to go to the Emergency Room for her bladder infection and $2,000 later TriWest informed us she had no coverage! Applying for a separate policy I had to pay three months premium upfront ($500) and all this on a widow's pension – that is a travesty!

53. Ray DeForge | July 23, 2012 at 2:36 pm |

Is this just the first step in the eventual total takeover of the Tricare system by United Health Care (a misnomer, since UHC is a for-profit INSURANCE COMPANY)? If "Yes" (?), then; hopefully, I will be dead when that time comes. What Vietnam has failed to do, United Health Care will do – "waste' my A** !

54. DiploBear | July 23, 2012 at 2:38 pm |

The General Accounting Office used to be bi-partisan (Circa @ 1974) when liberals, progressives and socialists infiltrated what is now the Government "Accountability" Office; OXI-MORON if there ever was one.
    It is pathetic how these "watch dogs" have turned into lap-dogs, and not only where they sit; but what they "lap".
    Harry & Nancy come to mind.

55. C. Boothe's message post above hit the nail on the head and here is what I pulled off Google regarding "United Healthcare" – "The troubled insurance fund for 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East's personal-care workers will get a $70 million US government bailout this year under a deal struck in Albany, the second taxpayer assist in less than a year for the powerful union's employee benefits fund.
    TOP WOOD – Retired Army REDLEG

56. AARP is run by United Health and I don't know anyone who has AARP has had a problem with United HealthCare!

57. TOP WOOD message continuation – Gov. Andrew Cuomo consented recently to prop up the union fund with about $50 million in Medicaid funding. The state Assembly—where lawmakers are closely allied with labor—pitched in with another $10 million drawn from a discretionary pool of Medicaid cash and disclosed in the budget. The Assembly contribution triggered a $10 million federal match"
    Since 2003 to date UHC has been contributing 'big bucks' to government officials and the unions so it is very clear to me that if you fork out the $$$$ you will win such bids as medical providers from our government. Those individuals that allowed TriWest to be denied retaining their current contract for active and retired military should be admonisted for their actions and I believe the US Govt Inspector General should look into this matter to see if the decision to grant UHC the contract in 2013 was legally valid.

58. factorystock | July 23, 2012 at 2:43 pm |

Well it appears Obama has struck again ! I had United Healthcare with my employer and it sucked !!! Look for cuts and obstacles to run around. This is very sad indeed… When we drop something that worked and pay more for less , please get Obama out of the whitehouse…

59. Steven Allen | July 23, 2012 at 2:45 pm |

We have United Healthcare on my job as our Health Care provider. They have done a good job. I have not had any problems with claims. A matter of fact I was overcharged on a co-pay I was charged $50.00 on a $25.00 a month latter I got an appology letter in the mail and a refund check for the over payment.

60. Jesse Lopez | July 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm |

Well, here they go again. Had United Health Care in my civilian city job. Boy they were s pain in the but to work with. Lots of paperwork, waiting for approvals or authorizing, and trying to figure out what they needed. Bunch of unprofessional individual and finally got rid of them as they kept adding more out of pocket expenses. The state employees also got rid of them. Good luck

61. Like others who have posted comments, I too had United coverage on my civilian job. Absolutely lousy. GAO really does some, to me, stupid things and really doesn't care about the health care of others. Sad.

62. factorystock | July 23, 2012 at 2:50 pm |

Who got the kick back on this deal ? I cannot believe how corrupt our elected officials are in Washington D.C. They use to hide it and now they just flont it out in the open because the American People either set on their butts or are to ingnorant to know what's happening to them……. God have mercy on us !!!

63. Retired in Houston | July 23, 2012 at 2:55 pm |

It's time to write your Congressman and Senator and ask them to investigate
    GAO's the decision that was made and how they arrived at giving United Health Care the contract. This looks fishy to me and I'll bet I'm right. Write guys, write, write and have y our families write. REMEMBER, there is strength in numbers.

64. Has anyone heard, "if it isn't broke, don't fix it". I have never had any problems with Tri-Care. If this new company is more expensive, it is we retirees that will foot the bulk of the bill. Why on earth would anyone in their right mind choose a company that is at the bottom of the ranks according to JD Powers?!

65. United Health Care will not be taken by some physicians out here in the west coast because of there track record and passed billing procedures. Did Sen. Harry Reid get the kickback on this deal????? What about the governments contracting procedure about awarding the contract to a lower bidder, is the government throwing it out just for there own benefits of kickbacks.

66. A.L.Martin | July 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm |

Having dealt with united healthcare from my spouses employment, and for the last 14 years, my mother cobras my fathers insurance after he passed, with confidence and conviction, they SUCK.

67. Ralph Petrin | July 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm |

This is outrageous! Thank God my wife and I are covered by Tricare for Life and, according to Triwest spokesperson, we will not be effected by this travesty. I feel SO sorry for the people who will be impacted by this. I worked in the insurance business for years after retiring from the service and UHC and Blue Cross were the absolute bottom of the pile as far as service and treatment denials are concerned. What a mess! Horrible. We love you Triwest!

68. This article is pure, unadulterated click bait. All you see in the article is information from TriWest's vast media campaign and lobbying efforts, i.e., propaganda, bankrolled by guess-who's money. The writer throws his bait out, elicits obvious outrage and angry responses ranging from conspiracy theories to hateful threats, and the fires are stoked. Yes, I took the bait, too.

I've had no problems with TriWest since coming under the TRICARE umbrella 10 years ago, but at least I'm willing to look beyond the status quo, research reasons why TriWest lost the bid and consider that there may be even BETTER alternatives out there.

69. please trust the GAO, heard they are never there, to busy holding multi million conventions in Vegas and giving out 500.00 awards to the best drinker.

70. Well, I guess that we will see if the "PRECONDITION" will come into effect. If we have precodition is United Health Care still going to take care of us. Remember if you go to a new health care povider they won't treat your excesting health problem (s).

71. This is corruption at its worst! Their is no legitimate reason for this change.

72. Spent 15 terrible years with Untied Health. The worst customer service ever. Agents who were consistently unknowledgeable and even rude. I was never so happy when I experienced TriWest! I lobbied my representatives hard on this one. Too bad for all of us. What we need to do is start the complaints as soon as they take over and escalate, escalate, escalate!

73. Thomas Hopkins | July 23, 2012 at 3:24 pm |

I agree with Ralph Petrin that as a TriCare For life member this does not affect me but I feel that someone got bribed to accept a higher bidder at the GAO. This smells rotten and yes Congress should look in to it. It will cost the public and possibly active and future military members a lot. I blame the American Media for getting Obama elected and he should be voted out in November.

74. Maybe this is a ruse to make the retiree healthcare fail so the government will have an exceuse to lump us all in on the infamous “O Care”

75. S. Moreland | July 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm |

It is important to remember that TRICARE is the military health benefit, and TriWest, Humana, Healthnet and soon to be United Healthcare are companies/contractors who currently or will manage the benefit. The government decides what will be approved or denied, under the TRICARE program, not the indivdual contractor managing the program. When an authorization gets denied it's based on TRICARE policy not the company policy. You will not be able to be denied coverage by United Healthcare because the contractor does not decide who is eligible for the military health benefit. DEERS decides eligibility for all TRICARE programs. Those eligible will not have United Healthcare insurance. They will have TRICARE, it will just be United Healthcare MANAGING it for the West region.

76. L.W. Miller | July 23, 2012 at 3:30 pm |

I may have missed it but I do not remember being asked what I wanted or was given a chance to fill out a survey or questionnaire. I do not like our government making all the choices for us. I served 21 having them make most of my choices and I really upset at what is happening to us Vets. We have been thrown under the bus too many times so that some fat politician can get rich by taking bribes.

77. This is just Standard Old Procedure for the government. If something isn't broken, fix it! You then will have a broken system. Thank you for your constant inconsideration of military and their dependents.

78. disapointed | July 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm |

"NOT Maybe" This is a plan to make the retiree healthcare fail so the government will have an exceuse to lump us all in on the infamous "O Care"

Marxisim communist ideology where were headed

79. ED Pardilla | July 23, 2012 at 3:33 pm |

I am a Tricare for life member & Me & my wife have been denied some of the benefit care by TRICARE & I know that this was instigated by Tri-West & not Tricare..

80. I just cannot understand why members who receive TriCare services are never included in any changes that go on. Apparently writing to our congress people did not help. It seemed that it was a done deal earlier in the year before most of us received information on the change anyway.
    Whether you're Republican or Democrat you need to vote out your representatives and senators who voted for this change. Forget about party affiliation. Health insurance should be the most important service you protect and have.

81. Remamber United Health is in bed with AARP and big contributors to the Obama campaign. All you need to know.

82. So what are the new rules, I am I going to be able to plan for my lungs transplant in the future ?

83. has this administration have their so called dedication to themselves and not their constituients they have their own bubble on health care and their family, so why should they care who pays the tab!!!!

84. Since we (both retirees and active duty) are dealing with insurance companies, there will be both negative and positive treatment. Unfortunately my spouse and I have had more negative than positive responses from Tricare West the past three years. The worst was Tricare West reps telling the doctor and us that the emergency eye surger was 'not necessary' as the surgery would only prevent blindness, not 'improve' eyesite. It took the state insurance commissioner's office to get that ruling corrected. So, I believe I will wait and see what this change brings, especially as the recipients seem to have little influence anyway.

85. The awarding of the TRICARE contract to Humana, a Minnesota based contractor, is a political ploy by this administration to hurt Arizona, which is the HQ for Triwest. Arizona stands to lose many hundreds of jobs. It is no secret that Arizona has stood up in opposition to many of the feds recent policies and this is nothing more than an opportunity forthe fed to step on Arizona citizens one more time.

86. UHC has a 65% unfavorable rating with hospitals.

87. Richard Mashburn | July 23, 2012 at 3:51 pm |

Have you ever heard the expression "poop runs down hill"? Well.we just had another deposit from our so called congress!

88. Anita Braddock | July 23, 2012 at 3:53 pm |

Wow and the new Provider has no clue about Military Medical. so we will be the ones to suffer and will have higher costs just wonderful as if it isnt hard in this world no we have an insurance that will make our lives so much harder. thanks whomever did this

89. jim Boykins | July 23, 2012 at 3:58 pm |

I have no reason to question Tricare as it was previously but I would like to know, since Tricare west is alledgedly cheaper, what were the Reasons that there needed to be a change????????????

90. I've been with Triwest/Tricare for 12 years and haven't had any issues. I wish I had the power to impeach the current government, what a bunch of dumbasses!

91. D.L.Pompili | July 23, 2012 at 4:00 pm |

TRICARE is jacking up premiums this year and next vass ist los ???

92. Recipients of TRICARE should realize that the health care benefit is a subject totally seperate from the contractors who are responsible for the ADMINISTRATION of the benefit program. During my career I worked with as any as four different contractors, all very courteous and professional, but in my opinion, the "experts" were normally miltary retired who had experience with TRICARE and the contractor. In all cases, many were hired directly out of uniform. It isn't wrong but it is certainly the "revolving door". Perhaps someone new can bring fresh perspectives into the administration of the program, perhaps more efficiency; regardless, the program benefits will not change (TRICARE is a legislative mandate). If the contractor does not perform well (if the military establishment upholds their role as monitoring body and the GAO does their part of the review and approva), there will another contract. Anyway, lets not be naive, many of the employees are already looking to work for the new contractor. There will be a period of transition and perhaps a bit of confusion; it happens all the time, but that is not a rational reason to keep the same contractor.

93. Larry Rambo | July 23, 2012 at 4:02 pm |

I have had no reason to complain about TriWest services. Typical government policy-If it is not broke-fix it anyway-I guarantee that we will suffer because of this change. What a bunch of idiots our government reps are. As some one else said-Obama probably mandated this knowing failure will occur and try to force Tricare users into some expensive , care restrictive plan of his making. Would this administration at least try to do something right?

94. It seems very interesting that the GAO would disallow Triwest's challenge. Obviously the wonderful folks at GAO have never had the opportunity to have UHC as a provider of their insurance. My wife has UHC from her work and we have had nothing but a constant battle trying to get UHC to settle our claims. The majority of the good providers around here will not accept UHC so we are constantly searching for someone of good reputation to provide for her health care needs. As far as the relationship that AARP has with UHC, it seems to me that the only thing AAPR does these days is act as a front for various companies. I have given up my membership to AARP and strongly encourage others to do the same

95. I trust the GAO, congress, and above all the exalted President of the United States beyond all others. I have full confidence in the GAO, congress, and the President of the United States. There is no one else that I trust more than the GAO, congress, and the President of the United States. I trusted my recruiter in Lafayette Louisiana that I would never have to pay for medical if I retired from the military after 20 years. I trusted my recruiter in Lafayette Louisiana that the military will take care of me if I spend twenty years with them. I trust……….. (yea… right!)

96. What does the President have to do with the fact taht sometimes contractors win, and sometimes they lose???????I do not get it????? What don't people understand about rotating vendors and fair opportunity?????????

97. If Ralph Petrin is right, as Thomas Hopkins seems to feel, "that someone got bribed to accept a higher bidder at the GAO." Then this does indeed smell rotten and yes Congress should look in to it. It will cost the public and possibly active and future military members a lot. This would be just another reason why so many people feel heartsick at the corruption in our government.

98. Pat Petersdorff | July 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

It doesn't matter what we think or say, the govt will do exactly what it 'feels' needs to be done in our behalf. Obviously, no one in govt,so to speak, will ever experience what those of us who do rely on this insurance, have to endure.

99. matt. pair | July 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm |

This do-not seem like an Obama idea to change the carrier. This appears to be a republcan idea.

100. I'm glad for a change (may not be any better w/the new vendor but…) as this year, it took me 6 months to get a $30 claim paid after continued denials. I kept escalating the matter but no one was willing to put the effort into resolving the issue until finally the last person got it resolved. TriWest sucks as far as I'm concerned.

101. Is it me or am I the only who thinks that there is a paradox between someone who has served and sacrificed for their country, placed themselves in harm's way, who swore an oath to fulfill their duty because of love of country and the apparent cynicism, disgust and implied hatred of that very governmnt? Unless I missed something. we still vote in this country, do we not? Apparently, if things are bad, might help if one looks in the mirror to see who is truly responsible.

102. It's Obama's fault! It's the Republican's fault! It's the fault of Congress! Okay, everybody who's making these claims please explain to me how the decisions by the GAO are the fault of Obama, Republicans, Congress, etc. Maybe I'm just missing something but while I'll be the first to admit that the decisions that were made certainly don't seem logical to me, I don't see how the blame or credit (depending on your viewpoint) for the decision can be shifted from whomever made the final decision to elected politicians.

103. They can't explain it. Just blame everybody except the GAO

104. AS a Health Care Billing Manager with 20 years experience— ANYTHING having to do with UNITED HEALTH CARE is a royal pain in the ASS, they niclle dime you to death, deny just to save $$$, employ off shore Customer Services reps who cannot even speak english, BUT have names like FRANK, MARY, JOHN— WHAT a crock- THIS IS strictly POLITICS in action. MARK my works UHC will screw this up royally and watch the complaints increase

105. Union fund receiving $70M government bailout
    The Business Review
    Date: Monday, June 11, 2012, 7:04am EDT

The insurance fund for a health care workers’ union is receives a $70 million government bailout, The Wall Street Journal is reporting.

The union, 1199SEIU United Healthcare Workers East, is receiving $50 million in Medicaid funding, $10 million from the Assembly and a $10 million federal match, the Journal reported.

"Never watch a politicians mouth watch his/her feet"

On the surface there appears to be a good chance that the awarded contract is just another sweetheart deal. Who could be suprised given the track record of the current administration . I feel that there would also have to be a failure in and complicancy of the reviewing agencies if this observation is correct. Both sides of the aisle must do a better job-the future of our country depends on it.

106. Rance Farrell | July 23, 2012 at 4:55 pm |

I am very disappointed that TriWest was not awarded this contract. I have had extensive experience with this company and it has always been very positive, whether for my problems, including 2X knee and shoulder replacement, my friends, or those in my organization AUSA. They look for waysto say yes, not reasons to say no.And no company has been more supportive of vet and soldier services. Whether it's for the Wounded Warriors, USO of any other such activity, TriWest has always been there to help out. A great company and I am befuddled as to why their original win was overturned or their protest denied.

107. procurement guy | July 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm |

The procurement process for requirements like this is very very complicated, and has been honed over decades. Contrary to common opinion, the lowest proposed/bid price does not always win. Other factors are also considered, AND may be more important than price. Would you want your health care to go to the lowest bidder? Didn't think so. So stop trying to find conspiracy because the lowest price didn't win. You only exhibit how clueless you are about how the process really works.

108. Congress needs to look into this and block the transfer until the investigation is done. TriWest has a good track record and it appears the new agency has a lousy one. If they need a bail out, how can they continue to provide the quality service that we are currently receiving from TriWest?

109. Tri Care for Life and TriWest are two different things. Tri Care is the name which the military has promised that we as retired or active duty will be cared for. Tri West is a company just like United is a company and both companies were bidding on the new contract. I am sure there were other companies bidding as well,etc. Keep in mind, when dealing with a goverment, either at city, state, or higher, the lowest bidder usually gets the bid, unless somebodies hands have been greased.
    Tri Care decides who is covered and what is covered regardless if United, or any other health care company has the contract. So don't look at Obama, look at the next levels down. We elect Congressmen and Senators to do a job. Each department in the White House has a job to do and I am sure they do as much research as possible before a discission is made. Greased palms start at the bottom and work their way up. That's why lobbist are paid so much money and if you lick their hands, it will taste like butter. So you need to look at the Congressmen and Senators to see who was pushing for this change.

110. Michael Moore | July 23, 2012 at 5:22 pm |

Does this mean I have to choose a new doctor? If I do that's really going to suck!

111. I don't really care who manages my Tri-Care insurance but I do care that there is less and less to manage. Why isn't Tri-Care Prime available in my area in Mn right next to the Mayo in Rochester and two miles across the river in Wis it is?

112. Rpbert Chapman | July 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm |

So, how much downside is there to this decision and will it cost us more?

113. Why not give us a subsidiary payment for our healthcare and let
    us get our own insurance, that would eliminate a lot of hassle.

114. Retired USAF Msgt | July 23, 2012 at 6:08 pm |

I am a retired military veteran who has been working in the private sector for 16 years. Many of those years the company which managed the medical benefits for my employer was United Health Care. They are no better or worse than any other company out there,, including TriWest. Yes, dealing with them at times can be a hair pulling experience, but I can say the same for Triwest. i do not expect we will see much difference in the service we receive from United.

115. olesearge | July 23, 2012 at 6:26 pm |

The bottom line is while this action may not seem like it was "an Obama idea" it was the idiots in his administration and the damn democrats in the congress that have no clue!!! Why take a successful program, with a 16 year history of success, and replace it with United Health Care who has a terrible record. The real travesty is the fact the Tri-West bid was millions less than that of United Health Care. If we are trying to save money, to replace the money that Obama has pissed away over 3 1/2 years, why spend additional money? Yes, a rhetorical question. There is one solution, regardless of who provides health care to us, and that is to unass Obama on 2 November!!!

116. Maybe this is why our Government is broke? The $100.00 Toilet Seat of the 60's is back. Please leave our healthcare, what little we have, alone.TriWest had the lowest bit but, apparently, the lowest bribe payment to. Also we the consumers do not seem to have any say in who get our money. :(

117. United Health has been supposedly working to integrate my Medicare and Tricare reimbursable account so that I can use it for almost 8 months with no success. It took them over a year to finally complete for a friend in the same situation. TriWest immediately completed getting my spouse's coverage within a few days. I can see lots of issues with United Health as it appears they do not want to work with the military unless you somehow what to use United Heath as your provider.

118. usaf retired e6 | July 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm |

Didn't have a problem with Tri-West for the most part. Maybe that's why its changing. An entitlement program that works. So fn change it. There's no doubt some sleezy congressman or even that sleezyObama had a hand in this multi billion dollar contract.

119. unless someone in the right place has it's fingers in United Health insurance, why would the Gov. be wasting money on using them, especially when Triwest is already in place and things are working?…..Who up there is getting their pockets lined?……..and why are people setting back and letting this happen?

120. Has the House Ethics looked in to this?? Something doesn't sound right.

121. Disappointed | July 23, 2012 at 7:03 pm |

Here we go again..Congress A.K.A "Corperate Flunkies" and other Federal Corperate Flunkies will enjoy what they are getting for voting for a higher cost health care system. "OBAMACARE" here we come weather we won't it or not.

So how much more will we have to pay…and better yet, how much more will be added to the over half a trillion dollars we shell out to take care of illegals will i have to pay.

And as far as a Government investigation. that would be like the Cartells investigating themselves for drug trafficing. You know nothing will come of it and it will just get swept under the rug like everything else.

Again..A politician will promise you the moon to get elected and once they are in office they turn around, drop there pants and show you the moon they promised. I for one am tired of looking at there back sides.

122. Pinkcoyote | July 23, 2012 at 7:12 pm |

Wlcome to OBAMA CARE

123. Is anyone still capable of remembering the old say FUBAR? This is simply what continues to happen when congress and it's inhabitants get their hands on or into government funded plans. Not much will change until something happens to affect change in that August organization and good luck with that.!!!!.

124. I used to work for a military contractor who was under bid by another company. The new company which I now work for is a larger company, but they seem to have no clue what they are doing. The only reason the contract went like it did was because of their bid. Why was this not awarded on basis of the bid. Also the new company offered us United Healthcare, but nobody is taking it because it is to stinkin exspensive.

125. Has nothing to do with Obama. Has nothing to do with Republicans. Has to do with the bidding process and some lower level decider.

126. Just one of many changes that will take place in the next few years. The current Congress and Leaders of this country are bound to see it fail. Protests, petitions and all of the yelling and screaming we do will not change the corupt governing of this country. It isn't going to get better!

127. If United Healthcare works poorly for civilians, what the **** can they do for military beneficiaries and retirees? Expect poor
    service….. On purpose to save govt money.

128. I work in the Medical field, and I am retired Air Force, this has nothing to do with what people are calling obamacare, this is totally The GAO. A company that has provided 16 years of service to the military and retirees on the western side of USA is doing something correct. YOU GAO have made a grave mistake.

129. A. Kidwell | July 23, 2012 at 7:50 pm |

Another case of government trying to fix something that ain't broke.

130. Correct me if I am wrong. But I believe United Health CEOs pay a few years back was a whopping annual salary of 1.7 Billion dollars. Google it. AND Now, who got the kickbacks, and WE are supposed to be trying to cutback?

131. We have had United Healthcare as a civilian.It was the worst insurance company we have ever had.All they do is delay payments and then deny them.We pidy giant premiums and in the end we should have not had insurance from them because we had so much out of pocket expences by denials.With all the deductables,co pays, and co insurance.You will hate United Healthcare!

132. richard barbee | July 23, 2012 at 8:55 pm |

Grave Mistake Been retired 28 years-no problem with TriWest
    It seems they've over looked United Health Cares record. I would say someone
    greased some ones pocket. Just once more our Military takes in the shorts.

133. we make comments but for what? we say we the people but you pass us by we do not count anymore? this is really bad for us do they read these?

134. michael tiffany | July 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm |

if it ain't broke, don't fixit. United is, and alway has been, a bunch of crooks. Why won't you tell us how their bid was better. Michael Tiffany

135. It's so reassuring to know that my government is listening to its citizens. I protested/petitioned against the award to United Healthcare along with millions of others and obviously, our government could care less. As an insulin dependent diabetic since the age of 5, I fear for myself and every other active duty, beneficiary, and veteran because United Healthcare is substandard and by far, inferior to TRIWEST. I must add that this is what I have come to expect from this entire administration and will be elated to see it change. Think I'm ready to ex-pat to Canada where at least, even though medicine is "socialized", the government will support the insulin pump that my government "required" I be put on.

136. It's only going to get worse with the bunch that we have in Congress and especially the Senate. Soon there will be no privledge in joining the military and I think that's what they want!! United Health Care is not a good Prescription to work with, they have gave my sister nothing but problems and her husband would turn over in his grave if he knew she was having so much problem with them. It will be the same for us. It would cost me $25 for Diabetes strips and $25 for clicks if I buy a new and better Diabetes Meter. If I get the kind TriCare recommends it is $9.00 each for the time being. The Meter is very bulky and unhandy to use. No choice if you are on a fixed income.

137. When I investigated another UHC contract a few years ago, I discovered they'd been prosecuted for Medicare Fraud, and several State's Attorney Generals and Insurance Commisioners had prosecuted them for unreasonable denial and delay of claims. Now we get stuck with them! Thanks Mr. President and your appointed henchmen? Please write to your Congressmen and request a full investigation. LTC, (Ret.).

138. I suffered the incompetent and disinterested "services" of UnitedHealthcare while serving as a senior executive in 3 Defense Contracting companies. Despite the fact that I opted for the highest level of service packages that our company made available, UnitedHealthcare was unquestionably the worst medical benefit plan I ever suffered. The commentor who described the competitive bid process was spot-on. Even though TriWest's bid cost was lower and as the incumbent represented the highest level of past performance of any possible bidder, and therefore, the lowest risk of any possible bidder. With TriWest, there would have been zero turn-over and start-up time – for that size contract, I'd be amazed to see less than a year of trial and error at the expense of the users of the UnitedHealthcare system.

139. continuation of comment:
    There IS one way for all of us to fight back. The Government has in its acquisition regulations a process called "Termination", to terminate an awarded contract from a contract awardee whose performance is documentably substandard. Terminations may be "for the convenience of the government", "for cause", "for default", etc. If UnitedHealthcare proves to be an untenable solution for the services they're supposed to deliver, we document, document, document, in letters, emails and phone calls every single complaint we file and demand answers and remediation of each flaw immediately.

140. Fill all of our Congressional Representatives' communication channels with direct and copy to complaints to UnitedHealthcare and the Government Contract Agency that is ultimately responsible for management of that contract. Each time no timely or acceptable answer is received, forward the entire package to every local and national news organization, and copy that package to each office from which you have received no response.

141. continuation of comment: It is clearly obvious that many people have forgotten that our superb military is an ALL-VOLUNTEER force. Our troops are very aware of the accelerated erosion of the incentives for completing a military career. The best of them will leave first, recognizing that we are reliving post-Vietnam War treatment of the military. I love this country dearly and spent 46 years of my life in, and in direct support of, its military. I just joined the ACLU.

142. S. Saunders | July 23, 2012 at 11:27 pm |

I've worked in Medical billing for the past 20 years. United Healthcare STINKS! They were the first company to promulgate the method of handling claims known as "delay, dispute, deny". They have offshored all their provider customer service and inquiry jobs to India, where you are doomed to speak with somebody named "Bambi or Steve" who speaks little english and doesn't know anything they can't read off their computer screen. .

It is unfair to call this Obama-Care. I believe that eventually, the US will have a single payer system. What we have is not working, and our congressmen and senators are so far in the pockets of the insurance companies that we won't be able to extract them as long as the UHC's of the world believe there is money to be made. Every penny spent on paying CEO's millions of dollars is one penny less to spend on providing healthcare to the folks who pay the premiums!

143. S. Saunders | July 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm |

If this was Obamacare– my husband and I wouldn't be paying $200 per month to keep our son, a full time college student, on Tricare. My sister is able to keep her two sons (ages 24 & 25) both of whom have finished college on her health insurance without any change in her premium. My sister-in-law is a retired Air Force civilian who is able to keep my 23 year old nephew on her insurance without a change in premium until he either turns 26 or gets a full time job with benefits. I'm SO glad my husband spent 20 years in the army!! When I questioned this, I was informed that Tricare is not an insurance company, and therefore is not subject to the same requirements that commercial insurance companies are.

144. pink rose | July 24, 2012 at 1:03 am |

I and my husband have been with TriWest for over 12 yrs. I have to say that
    they are an excellent Health Care, never had any problems. If I had any questions the personnel was great. Why is the Government changing things
    that we have never had any problem with? I never liked UHC and have friends that have UHC and they hate it, poor service, many complaints from the insured people. We need to change every one in Washington, they all live the HIGH LIFE and THEY DO NOT HAVE A CLUE HOW HARD IT IS IN THIS DAY AND AGE FOR THE OUTSIDE OF THEIR WORLD PEOPLE HAVE TO LIVE.

145. I suggest that all Tricare users the start complaint process as soon as United delays or denies our claims. Put your complaint in writing and demand a fix within a week. When United fails to comply, elevate the complaint to Tricare. If Tricare doesn't fix it, forward your letter to your members of congress. If we do this often enough, just perhaps we will get action. x ˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜˜

146. I have had many dealings with United Health Care, both as a consumer and as a former business owner. They stink. We finally got paid some past bills owed us for three years. United Health Care is also associated with AARP which is in line to make millions off of Obamacare. That's why they support it so heavily. The article stated Tri West was lowest bidder and had handled claims for 16 years. That ought to throw a red flag there as to the corrupt bureauacracy of the Obama administration.

147. unless United is going to pay for Chiropractic care and insure children up to 26yr of age like others without additional cost why change. where I work I process medical claims and sometimes don't understand why some people have United such high deductibles. If our senate and congress benefits are better than the military, something needs to change, make those benefits equal or better for the military who risk their lives for the freedom of others.

148. Every year for the past 30 years, as a mother, I have been fortunate to have had health insurance companies I could choose from. I will always remember one year I thought why not choose a higher 'premier' insurance company – $616 per month out of our pockets for this insurance company. NEVER AGAIN!!!! Doctors wanted your business – this test, that lab – ridiculous – Who benefits – I sure didn't feel better – in fact I felt terrible – $616 lost monthly!!!!! It made me sick then and mad now! We are the goverrnment – of the people, for the people, by the people – that will not perish from this earth. We can elect our representatives but what happens after. I think we should look at lowering benefits for those serving our interests – not higher ones – if we are disappointed! Fire your boss! Who should we vote for – I am interested more and more in ?

149. Doug Harms | July 24, 2012 at 10:23 am |

With United in bed left-wing PAC AARP, this reeks once again of Solyndra-style crony capitalism. Hurry up, November, please!!!

150. Who is the instigator for this change? before we blame the administration, I'd like to know more facts, rather than hear all this possibly baseless blame get thrown around at Pre., AARP, etc.

151. Is anyone out there listening, this change is a result of your elected SENATORS and CONGRESSMAN. THIS IS NOT OBAMACARE. The Insurance lobby have won another battle. OBAMACARE is forcing them to pay for things they would have never paid for in the past, so they paid off our elected officials (SENATORS & CONGRESSMAN) and got UHC appointed to replace Triwest. Now they can go forward with the campaign of Denying 75 percent of the claims, and overcharging for everything else, and that will replace all of the MONEY lost due to OBAMACARE.

152. As usual the Government is getting their pals in on a good thing and the Vets.
    have to pay the price. Look and see who is behind wanting the change and
    follow the trail of money. I don't know of anyone who is on Tricare that is not
    satisfied. Put the politicians on the same health plan as those who put their
    life on the line and watch what happens.

153. Montanarancher | July 24, 2012 at 1:51 pm |

I suspect that when all is said and done, we will discover that the contract went to a major Obama Supporter and not to the most qualified. Congressional investigation, anyone?

154. More money – less/eroded benefits – really crappy track record – forcing vets into the VA system. Just another reason for our active duty to get out and make a real life for themselves.

155. Worked for a hospital years ago that started to use UHC, lasted about 6 mos. before there were so many complaints that the personnel office went looking for a new health insurance company. I doubt their quality of service has improved. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That old adage still applies. As others have pointed out, the president doesn't award these contracts. The General Accounting Office (GAO) with input from congress and house of representatives as well as senior medical officers of the respective military services are the ones who do the yay or nay.

156. It is so sad and rather amazing that one man (Obama) could screw things up so quickly! He has apologized for America, He has trashed and made fun of the private sector job growers. Go see the movie people, it will open your eyes. America and the military is being put in a choke hold by Obama. It is called Obama"s America. It will open your eyes.

157. THe only hope here is that the TriCare System is so closely regulated that all UHC can do is administer the Program. TriWest has done a great job in following the prescription. One can only HOPE that UHC will do the same.

158. Well if it doesn't work out write you stupid Congress. Of course it won't do any good, they probably are getting kick backs and election money from United Health. The best thing is a revolution! Get the jackasses out once and for good!!!!

159. It just goes to show you the arrogance of this administration. I Just found out that my premium will increase by around eighty dollars next year. Why? It would seem that during these 'hard times' it would have made more sense to remain with the lowest responsible bid. If you look around you will see many other things changing in the military also. I can go off post and find cheaper gas, food, and many times clothing than I can on base. Can you believe that?

160. Follow the politics and money trail: Amy Klobuchar, Democrat, is the senior Senator from Minnesota; she was their first elected female Senator, as Minnesota did had a spouse of a former Senator that sat in for a short time, but she is the first "elected" one. In her run for the County Lawyer of the largest county in Minnesota and her Senate election, she carried about 60% of the votes. Many believe she will be the first female President….to include the NY Times.

Think about what giving the contract to a Minnesota based company would do to drive her ratings and posture her for a run in the 2016 election, after the Republicans win the next Presidential election; Democrats are posturing for the future. Senator Klobuchar is a modern liberal, but very well known for being bipartisan, which has been President Obama's downfall. She is a strong supporter of universal health care (ObamaCare) also called Socialized Medicine.

161. Part 2 – From a Star Tribune article, "A bipartisan group from Minnesota's congressional delegation sent a letter to the Defense Department Monday at UnitedHealth's request. While they stopped short of calling the process wrong, the letter asked defense officials not to override the temporary GAO stop order while the GAO considers UnitedHealth's protest.

"When you look at it on costs, it should have gone to UnitedHealth," said Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., who signed the letter along with Sen. Al Franken, D-Minn., Rep. John Kline, R-Minn., and Rep. Erik Paulsen, R-Minn.

Klobuchar said UnitedHealth officials asked for a letter of support in a conversation last week. Klobuchar said she thought it was "completely appropriate" to help UnitedHealth because the company employs so many Minnesotans."

She's a lawyer, and was projected to be a Supreme Court Nominee as well. She knows the law and knows how to walk in the greay areas. UnitedHealth has been one of her top 20 contributers for campaign funding and medical industry companies rank as her #3 source of funding contributions.

The information is public record. Follow the politics and money.

162. When I enlisted in the Navy in 1967, I was told after 20 years active duty I would receive free health care for life. When I retired in 1991, I was already having to pay a health care premium, a low one, but still a premium. While us veterans are receiving only health care for a cost (which does not include vision or dental), our congressmen and senators receive 100% health, vision, and dental for a single term in office. Does anyone see the injustice here? The veterans voluntarily enlisted to protect our country, and sufferred many injuries, deaths, and disabilities for their service. God bless America and our veterans! I pray each day that the Lord will do some "pruning" of our corrupt politicians and bring our government back in line with the religious principles which help create it initially. Thank you.

163. Tricare wasn't the greatest, but in the last 12 years of retirement I have had no issues to talk about. Now, United Health will start to take charge there should be a seamless transition and we should see no rate changes and less issues when we call in for custmer service…WHATEVER!! I picked up United Health as extra medical coverage when I was a contractor and all I ever recieved was a headache slow customer service, and poor service. I ended up dropping them and relying solely on Tricare, and they did me right. I never looked back until now…GOD help us all!!

164. When I retired and moved back to Idaho I when with tricare because it sounded good and was as long as no one got sick. When my young throat swolen shut and had to have emergency surgeroy and triwest said it wasn't necessaryand I got stuck with all the bills and after that they disalolwed everything after that. I had better insurance (anywhere) after that but in the long run it did a lot in me looseing my home. When I lost my job in Idaho we moved to Missour and my wife talked me into trying tricare again and I was inpressed. May have not the best I had no compliants. Than we moved to New York and we signed up for Bassket Health and I don't believe it can get better. So when when I heard that triwest lost there contract I wonder how many lives just got saved.

165. I wonder how much ARRP had to do with this debacle. The Dod and Gao are good at messing up a decent contract when they have no good reason but a few dollars which we will wind up eating!!

166. When are my brothers and sisters who served going to finally realize that the men/women who sit in the Senate/House and than go on to run for president are out of touch with people who include the middle class and poor. I believe that WE THE PEOPLE need to look at recruiting the middle class and poor to run for offices in our country…but they need to be people who will stay in touch and engage themselves with the middle class and poor. WE THE PEOPLE need to stand up and force change. As long as we don't, CEOs and lobbyists will continue to influence decisions that Democrat and Republicans make.

167. Now that the contract is awarded, we as the end users have to change our tactics. The many of you who have delt with UBC and those of you who are new to this "experience", should, might I suggest, watch them and document and make sure that your complaint is not only heard by "UBC" but by your national representatives. If you are not willing to do that, than collectively we are going to have to byte bullet or individually we will get "screwed". Right now that is our only option.

168. Wow, this article is nice, my younger sister is analyzing these kinds
    of things, therefore I am going to let know her.

169. People sitting around with no work to do. Workers coming in late and leaving early–long lunch breaks were the norm. People busy smoking cigarettes and surfing the internet. Lots of low tops and cleavage and tattoos… Higher Education was frowned upon. Lavish one month holiday vacations were the norm–administrative personnel living the good life… Right before TriWest submitted their bid we were told to 'temporarily' adjust claims, and then back to normal to deny everything… These people were out to lunch, surfing the internet, showing up late, leaving early, sitting around doing nothing. The screaming, the yelling, the temper trantums–the lavish vacations and leave of abseces. What a nightmare of laziness. These people lived the high life whilst the soldiers went without. Jeez P.S. The Prime Rib was dry.

Comments are closed.