The GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act

April 02, 2012 | Terry Howell

Members of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee recently introduced the GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act (s. 2241). The bill is  designed to help veterans make informed decisions about the schools they choose to attend. If passed, this bill would also require VA and DoD to create a joint policy to curb aggressive recruiting and misleading marketing aimed at servicemembers and veterans using the GI Bill.

Senator Patty Murray (D-WA), Chairman of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee, said, “This bill is designed to ensure that our veterans have the facts to make their own decisions and to defend themselves from being taken advantage of. We can’t allow them to get anything less than the full potential of this benefit – because so much is riding on it.”

According to the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee press release, the GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act of 2012 complements veterans’ educational assistance programs by requiring VA to provide beneficiaries with easy-to-understand information about schools that are approved for GI Bill use.

• Information Availability: Calls for disclosure of, among other data, statistics related to student loan debt, transferability of credits earned, veteran enrollment, program preparation for licensing and certification, and job placement rates.

• Information Dissemination: Requires VA to provide educational beneficiaries with easy-to-understand information about schools that are approved for GI Bill benefit use.

• Staffing and Training: Requires educational institutions to have at least one employee who is knowledgeable about benefits available to servicemembers and veterans.  This legislation further requires that academic advising, tutoring, career and placement counseling services, and referrals to Vet Centers are available and that institutions offer training to faculty members on matters that are relevant to servicemembers and veterans.

• Curbing Misleading Marketing and Aggressive Recruiting: Requires VA and the Department of Defense to develop a joint policy on aggressive recruiting and misleading marketing aimed at servicemembers, veterans, and other beneficiaries.

• Educational Counseling: Makes educational counseling available to more beneficiaries.

Any action taken to help veterans make wise choices before deciding on a college is a great step. In fact the Defense Activity for Non-Traditional Education Support (DANTES) offers servicemembers (anyone actually) a great tool called the Distance Learning Readiness Self-Assessment which can help prospective students decide if taking online classes is right for them.

However, the DoD and VA should also be required to assess and train veterans to ensure they are academically prepared before they enroll for school. Programs like Veterans Upward Bound offer that type of assessment, tutoring and counseling opportunities. Unfortunately, due to very limited funding, VUB is only available at 47 sites nationwide.

Let your elected officials know how you feel about The GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act.

Comments

1. BPersohn says:

How about you pass H.R. 1130 and allow those of us with Post 9-11 GI Bill benefits to transfer to our kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now THAT'S a way to get full use of the benefit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I have also started a petition to do just what you are referring to. You can find it at http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/gi-bill-fairn…. If you choose to support it, I would appreciate you signing it.

The issue I have with H.R. 1130 is it only addrresses active duty and does nothing for the National Guardsmen and Reservists who may have also served 20 years or more and are eligible for the Post 9/11 GI Bill Transfer of benefits option too.

• YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you retired after 9/11 and before August 1, 2009 you cannot transfer your Post 9/11 GI benefits to your family members. If you retired after Aug 1, 2009 you can transfer. What gives? I have written Senator Webb, Military organizations like the American Legion, Military Officers Association of America (MOAA) and NOBODY GIVES A RATS ASS about fixing this problem. Since 2009, more contractors have died in Iraq and Afghanistan than than US Military personnel. Most of these contractors are retired miliary.

• My husband and I were dual military. We both got out and my husband wanted to give me his GI bill they said he cannot do it because he didn’t give it to me while he was active. Oh even if he could have given it to me I would have gotten my 4 years and his would have been knocked down to a year. So, our only option is for my husband to go to school…..beware of the snakes in the grass….

2. jedhlay says:

The law says "GI Bill", not GI's kids bill! Your kids are not deserving – You are. Cease the attempt(s) toward conflation. The plan is for your benefit. Don't beg for something else.

• m evans says:

I would bet that you never had to spend a year at a time wondering everyday if one or both of your parents were dead or alive… just a guess though.

• I am a military college kid and I think the GI bill being transferrable to children is the least the government could offer. My dad is a Colonel and he still isn't paid enough money for what he has to do. Military puts in 10x the work for less than half a fair days pay. I see the GI Bill as a small way to make amends for that…

• I'm sorry your wondering was a horrible experience. The next time I'm going through 200 rocket and mortar attacks in 2 months I'll stop to take the time to wonder how those attacks are affecting others back home.

• BPeterson says:

I am a Marine’s Daughter and a Marine. I do NOT believe in passing the GI Bill to the children simply because it is not right for a parent to make the child’s life so simple. Kids nowadays do not appreciate anything and they need to earn it. I would never have expected my own father to pass his GI Bill to me, just as I would never do my children the disjustice of letting them grow up thinking they are “OWED” ANYTHING. To everyone who keeps squalling about having to watch their father/mother deploy and all that crap: get the heck over it, you should be PROUD to have had a parent that was so noble that he/she willingly gave his/her life (and they did even if they did not die) for the beautiful country we live in.
        The only exception I have to this is perhaps children whose father/mother died, simply because that is a horrible thing for a family to recover from (FINANCIALLY, for this discussion).

• Jedhlay
      Who are you! Im a military spouse who husband transferred his gi bill to me, as a spouse i might not have done 4 tours like my husband but without my support my husband may not made it through those deployments! So you must not have a education because you speak stupidity!!!

• That's funny because I know people who made it out of Afghanistan and Iraq just fine, but to come home to a wife who left him and took half of his possessions. Both husbands and wives cheat during deployments. I've seen it on both ends (deployed and domestic). What does that mean? Spouses aren't the reason why service members survive deployments.

• Navy wife88 says:

You must not have kids. Anyone with kids would do anything for them to better them.

• D. Russell says:

My kids deserve it!!!!! They may have not been in the military, but their Dad was. They were the ones who went fatherless many times. My husband did 5 tours in Iraq, Korea and many other places. If he was not deployed he was in a school, the field, NTC or JRTC. The kids earned it just as much as the soldiers. My kids had countless days and nights wondering if their father was going to come home dead or alive. I was the one consoling my children when they cried for him. I was the one consoling them when their hearts were broken. My husband who is a 34 year veteran says if he is not using it then he should have the right to allow our kids to use it!!!!!!!

• If one takes the time to really examine the intent of the Post/911 GI Bill and it's transferrability to family members; the intent is called retention. The original intention of the GI Bill after WWII was simply a way to compensate the returning servicemembers for time served and to help them find gainful employment. I am a 23 yr plus vet and my wife and kids as well as myself suffered through my TDY's and deployments to the Gulf and if I chose to transfer my benefit, then it is my right. Since retirement, I have been employed at a major online university and yes we do market to the military, both active and vets. We have gone through extensive training in regards to the benefits that are available to students and it is amazing that there are many students that I have spoken to who have admitted that they are only interested in the GI Bill and going to school because they want to collect the BAH or they have been given bad advise from other service members or ed centers. I do not agree with their rationale but it is not for me to say but only to advise them of their financial options. If I am unsure of how to advise them, I always steer them directly to the regional VA.

• So, those who come in with degrees and don't need to us the GI Bill we earn, shouldn't be able to use them. With the ecomony the way it is today
      all of us need some kid of help. Tution is now $27,000.00 to $79,750.00. So, if you can use your Bill (the one you earned) to reduce the cost you shouldn't be allowed to? So, what you earned just go's to someone who has no connection with you or no one at all?

3. Jedhlay obviously never looked death in the face on behalf of this Great Nation..

4. I must say jedhlay is a fool. When service Men or Women sacrifice that which is greatest to them there families also feel this sacrifice. Stating that it is begging.Is just another example how Americas service members are mistreated and misrepresented. I'm a prior Army Ranger with 5 deployments under me. I have no children but I have many friends who do and I can honestly say they would rather give there benefits to there children if it won't be used by themselves. So "Begging" as you put it. I think not! Demanding what is owed to not just us but to our families is is not begging at all. You sir need to take a fast walk off the end of a bridge and rid not just this great country but the world for which many have given there life for. You would probably be doing the first honorable thing in your life if did so!

5. I am the VP of Academic Affairs at a small college. Several of our students have been blessed by their fathers by having the father's GI Bill benefits tranfered to them. It allows them to go to school. If it is my benefit I should be able to give it to my children if I please. It is not like I am getting rich over in Iraq or Afghanistan.

6. "Members of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee recently introduced the GI Bill Consumer Awareness Act (s. 2241). The bill is designed to help veterans make informed decisions about the schools they choose to attend. If passed, this bill would also require VA and DoD to create a joint policy to curb aggressive recruiting and misleading marketing aimed at servicemembers and veterans using the GI Bill."___________________________________________________________The bill is called " The GI Consumer Awareness Act(s.2241), not the GI Tranfer to your kids act, that has already been done, you're late jhedley.

7. Jason Monaghan says:

jhedlay – the amazing thing about benefits are the design of them are usually made in every effort to provide for those who were affected in sacrifices. The service member is primary, but I can also tell you that my father and grandfather, my cousin, my brother, my uncles and the majority of my college buddies have little use for this benefit unless it can be used for their children. By the way, their children and wives are those who also sacrificed their time to spend with those family members through no choice of their own, gave up Christmas mornings, Easter Sundays, First Steps, Little League Home Runs, Parent Nights at schools, Father's Days and all of those other important moments that can't be taken along on deployment or given leave to attend while serving. Be careful when you tread on ground that you may not completely understand because (as my cousin learned the hard way) it can be filled with mines and IEDs!

• Otay Buckwheat says:

I understand your thoughts…but what about the kid that their parent was a piece of junk and didn't go into the military but had to move every month because druggy mom/dad couldn't pay rent….sorry but moving isn't the reason I think transfer is good.. Your kids actually got a better education than the kids that can't move around. They got to see the country and foreign countries, see places we only dream about…. BUT again I do believe in the Transferablity law! I've missed Little League Home Runs, Parent Nights at schools etc. because I work. Does that make me deserving of things….I think not. Some things are EXPECTED. You knew these things would be missed when you joined.

8. I don't think the depends of a service member should use the GI Bill. I served for. 9 yrs. and I used all my benefits and more. If our want to attend college, they should work for it, That is what makes our country strong. I;m glad You are not president. You would give everything away. By the way, did you know We the US of America give lots of money to the countries that despise us, I thing Our top government officiaals should educate us the Americans on how our money is being spent and where goes. That education my friend would be free. It's called honesty.

• "I served for. 9 yrs. and I used all my benefits and more."

Where? I want to avoid the education you received. Your writing skills are lacking.

• We should not downgrade one another. I served 29 years and all of the times I was away from my kids and they had to be without a father is just one of the many reasons they deserve the assistance they recieve, not to mention the numerous times I moved them around over 15 moves alone in their 18 years living with my wife and I.

• I'm here! says:

WELL SAID. Unfortunately that's one thing that's wrong with the American people….we cut each other down! Why????? What does it do to the person your cutting…nothing because mostlikely they aren't going to see it on this site…so people LOVE, CARE, AND SUPPORT each other. AMERICAN'S we need to show these other countries how we do care about each other! God please bless our Country, we need it! Thank you all for your service to our country. Now protect us from – you know who!

• Hahaha ya I would defiantly avoid that education facility.

• Christian says:

Thank you…..you're right on track……..it appears this is just another political call for the vote for 2012…..buying your vote? I don't think so !

• In these times where the military forces service members to do more with less, personnel and program cuts, suicide rates up and possible retirement and health care cuts/costs don't you think that benefits like this TEB are almost a necessity? The dependents have to deal with all those issues just as the service member does, yet they are expected to live their own life as well. The TEB LETS them live their own life while still being a faithful and loving dependent.

Let's not forget transferring benefits is also a retention tool as the service member must either extend or re-enlist for a period of time in order to transfer. Rewards for sacrifices is what it's all about.

• Dinglehopper says:

You got it! RETENTION was the hole reason for Transferability! They wanted to keep the people they had trained.

• retiree spouse says:

I think giving way the GI Bill to dependents should be the choice of the veterans….families sacrifice too…servicemembers have TA and get their degrees so the benefit may go unused so why not allow the veteran the option to give their earned benefit to their children…my huband served 28 years and my kids can't use his…I pay full tuition for two…

9. I'm an OIF veteran and last October used the Post 9-11 GI Bill to get type rating in a business jet as promised in the new law. I followed the VAs instructions to the letter, and my school completed and submitted all required paperwork, yet here I sit, nearly five month later, without a single penny of benefit money. What good is all the hype, advertising, and speechmaking if the basic premise of benefit money to the veteran is not completed?

• YesIcanfixthat says:

Spike,
      You may need to get on the phone and track down the exact person who is responsible for making the decision to cut you the check. I have an experience with this. contact me at amerikaner66@yahoo.com

10. Al Wilson says:

Tell me, where in this report does it refer to dependents using the GI Bill? It doesn't. It mentions "servicemembers", "veterans", and sometimes refers to them as "beneficiaries". It never mentions a veteran's kids or any other dependents.

• it's understod that "beneficiaries" are your dependents, right?

• Beneficiaries are those eligible to use the GI Bill. Veterans. Try reading the article before making uninformed comments.

11. This bill is aimed at "for profit" schools (mostlt internet) who target young military by marketing themselves as he easier choice. They charge the max for a sub-standard degree. The price these schools are charging is ridiculous. Some (like UOP, AMU, Touro) get over 80% of their money from veterans.

• *mostly, the. FTW, I need an iPhone!

• Joe S. ,
      You are so quick to bash the for profit schools show me one school that isn't actually making money. Sub-standard degree, what is your backing for that? I did all my ( GE ) at the community college and it was a joke. I went to transfer to the local state school and was lost in the mix. For profit was the best option for me. I have a family, and work, as do many of our service member getting out. Trying to take a class here and there with impacted programs I was getting nowhere. The for profit schools offered me a chance to do what I needed to do " get my degree" I could care less about sports, rebellious teens, rush week. I wanted in-and-out! I can tell you my assignments were more challenging and more applicable then the stuff going on at the state schools. The professors were professionals in the field… not tenured crabby once upon a time story tellers. My degree is real, my struggle to get it was real! And when I checked that box on the application degree yes/no it didn't ask me where. Are some of the schools out there willing to take your money YES all of them. School like the military is what each individual makes of it ! I am now completing a masters at another for profit school because once again it makes sense.
      JW
      U.S Army Ret

• JKW, I am only pointing out what the bill is about. Unfortunately it is the for profit schools that are doing the predatory tactics. Read the investigation. As for the validity of the degree, go ask a job recruiter who they would hire if all else is equal. Is the bias against Internet for profit schools fair and legitimate…maybe not, but it would be foolish to deny it exists. If you are going to work as hard as you did, and pay as much as you did, why not choose a school that grants a degree that is not questioned? JW, thank you for your service, I'm retired as well.

• Your wrong about state and private universities not being preditory. I attended at brick and mortar univeristy for my BA. My room and board was 4 times what I would have paid for an appartment but because I was 18 and "not adult" enough to make a decision on how my study habits would fit well with living on my own, I was required to live the first TWO years in the dorm. It was chaos and I moved out as fast I as could saving big bucks in the process. (I was working 20 hours a week to make my tuition and room and board money that wasn't being paid for by scholarships and grants).

That by the way was 40 years ago. I now attend AMU and I made this choice because I am treated as an adult with the ability to make adult decisions. The tuition is 5 time LOWER then what VA would be paying at the state university I first looked into and I can study as I need to when I need to. There was no paperwork problems and I am the one making my education decisions. It took me two years to find a university I was satisfied with. The classes are intensive and not make work. I believe that the instructors are good at what they are doing and the school is responsive to student needs. Since it's called American Military University I expected it to have lots of people who had or are in the military. Interestingly enough that is not the case in my classes; the student body is quite diverse. Also the degrees offered are focused on areas I wanted to get a Masters in…too bad I can only study one area at a time!

• JSS you are correct, AMU (APU) was less expensive then my local brick and mortar (UTEP) $6,400 vs $8,700 per year, including books. UOP however was $14,400! Not all State schools require a residency, especially for adults.

• Joe S. , Cheers my man! I agree but lets look at what is really going on. And where I do believe this bill would benefit our bothers and sisters. So many service members really only care about getting the BAH benefit. Do they really care about the education? Yes this a complete blanket statement, but for the sake of argument lets continue. So many have never even considered life after service. Education was not something that was ever part of their life's plan. But a couple of extra bucks a month makes it worth looking at ( BAH). As far as why didnt I stay with the state school? Classes were so impacted that I couldn't keep a scheduled. Monday night one class, Wed a class at 10 am, Thursday at 3. Any normal adult would have difficulty dealing with this and staying employed. Also, many traditional schools have adopted the online learning format. The learning model like UOP has been copied time and time again. They ( traditional) realize its the most cost effective way to reach masses while not increasing costs. UOP has brick and mortar locations as well. Yes I did go there :).. I sat in a classroom listening and taking notes just like I did in the State school lecture hall. Students need to do their own due diligence. Is the School Accredited? Is the program accredited by ( what ever school of study) Sadly I would say most could give a hoot about those details furthering the grasp of the so-so schools. This in turn lowers the public's view of non-traditional as a whole. On last tidbit, the cost of the State school once it was all added up was equal to the for profit school. They just tack it on with other names like " matriculation fee" or " resource fees"

• Joe S,
      I don't see what is wrong in choosing "the easy way", some of us just do it for the BAH money and never intend to "use" the degree to get a job (already have one). UOP worked for me, I just needed to get that box checked. They do make you work, although I guess you could cheat more easily, but you get what you put into it. If I was paying out of my pocket, I would go to school somewhere else.

12. flex43974 says:

I applaud this measure… predator "companies" that advertise themselves as credential colleges/universities just to profit from the guaranteed payment from the Government needs to be stopped, and hopefully this act will increase awareness of these poor excuse for colleges/universities. I will encourage fellow veterans to attend online colleges that at a minimum, has campus option as well. You have a higher chance of being a CEO at a firm with a high school diploma than with a degree from some of these so called online only universities.

• Hi flex43974, I'm currently attending an online university for a Bachelors degree while using my GI BILL. Which online universities do you know that are causing trouble for service members/veterans? So far I've made it through 2 and a half years at same university with some bumps in the road – per say. But there is a service member/veteran counsel at this university that has helped me tremendously. This is of crucial importance because there are NO scholarships or financial assistance for men ANYWHERE…unless for vocational job training, but not for a professional degree program (I've looked and so have others). It is all Affirmative Action. Just feels like us men get one chance, and the only leg to stand on is the fact that we may expendably die for our country to get any possible help…just to become marketable.

• flex43974 says:

timmmay, to avoid having an influence on any particular online university, I will refrain from specific names. However, two of associates have degrees from an online only university; now this university has gone through three different name changes and the university (not sure if i should even call it a university since online only universities are mere buildings for administrative purposes and doesn't warrant the term university) is now under investigation. Rightfully so my associates have been rigorously calling trying to know the real value of their degrees. Not to sway you either way, but I am a current student with POST University (online student), which has campuses in CT… now fortunate for me, I am currently stationed in CT so I had the pleasure of vising the campus as well and meeting some of the professors and campus students. But again i will encourage you to favor online colleges with a campus option; this way even employers who put premium on campus style degree wont have the chance to discriminate your degree because there is no way of knowing you had it online and thus, be measured on the same scale as campus degree holders because reality is, if an employer had to choose between an applicant with a traditional style university degree and an online degree, most like will go with the former.

• It's my life says:

timmmay-Gosh I wish I could help some of these people…but I work at a University (FSU) and so far you all are cutting us down. Not all universities want just your money! We want you educated (or your family) so they too can become taxpayers…lol (that's just me saying become tax payers….most military men/women are and stay taxpayers!) What I wanted to tell you is about scholarships for people out of the "Affirmative Action" (like the way you said that…) area. If you will go to Google and type in (for example: Engineering Scholarships) you will find scholarships for anyone!

13. I like thank all of you who served, I was in during D-storm, Bubblehead, any way I think that their should be some form of transferring what you don't use to your childern and/or setting aloan program lower than the market rate. They finally need to hold some of these insitutions accountable. It's sad it took an 8 year war to start takeing care of us. I wish and hope that they work on the IRS as well. Pray for me and I will pray for you.

14. I have four years active duty in the Navy and I am currently enrolled in the Navy reserve while attending school full time. I have completed my bachelor and I am enrolled in an accredited graduate school that offers an online degree for working adults. I have used my benefits wisely by informing myself before I enroll to the school I am currently enrolled to. The veteran's Affairs commitee can't hold your hands when it comes to choosing where to persue your education. It is up to the member to due his due diligence as to which school has the credentials because ultimately, this is your transcripts that are going to be evaluated when you go look for a job.

15. Nick Truman says:

Make sure that state universities aren’t approved. They are the biggest rip off

16. Beware!!!!!! This is good but not enough. What some major colleges do that is unfair is that they "socialize" military scholarships including ROTC. They use the benefits on the "family contribution" side of the equation and take away other benefits or awards. Ironically someone who hates the military will benefit as the schools like Notre Dame, Boston College, Vanderbilt etc will take away other aid and give it to someone else, Your GI bill or ROTC scholarship will benefit someone else who will not be placing their life on the line in the future (ROTC) or benefiting the child of someone who did not place themselves in harms way (GI bill).

• It's my life says:

Your GI BILL IS NOT SUPPOSE TO GO AGAINST YOUR COST OF ATTENDANCE THEREFORE IT WILL NOT MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU DON'T QUALIFY FOR OTHER AID. (State funds, or scholarships!!) SOMEONE IS RIPPING YOU OFF IF THEY ARE DOING THIS! Go to the US Dept. of Education and search for GI BILL. You will find the law take a copy to that FA office!!! They need to be reported!

17. To those that are arguing for even more benefits for transferring to children, I think the argument is unfair and unwarranted. The bill already does so much, and the VA is already stretched with current funding. If you have children and are in the military, pay is already great. There are many other Americans with families that must pay for their kids to go to school and do without to make that dream happen. I think we can all argue about how much deployments are difficult, but asking for the equivalent of a welfare handout is morally wrong. When your kids get college age, maybe see if they would like to earn their education by serving their country. Asking hardworking Americans to pay your kids college bill while the country drowns in debt will not get this vets vote.

• Hill Downs says:

Good call, have the kids sign up Hoah!!

• I must agree, let your kids serve and EARN their own GI Bill for college. I guarantee you that they will value their own GI Bill tuition payments more than something that they didn't have to put in their own time for. It might be the difference between a kid that parties his way through school, or one that buckles down and gets a solid education.

• retiree wife says:

I'm sorry…did you say the pay is "great"? Do you know how many airmen are on food stamps?….And the VA is stretched because of Washington not because of giving money away to ou military! And have you researched the abuse of the Pell Grant….you want to talk about college fuding abuse…they draw their benefits and drop their classes after they get their check! Can't do that with the GI Bill…you will pay it back to the VA or they will take it from your tax return…the Government always gets their money….And the GI Bill is earned by blood, sacrifice, and love of country…not welfare…it is EARNED!! Not a handout to our veterans!!! And going into the military just for an education is a ploy used by recruiting and then they send our young boys to the front lines….to come home shot up and not educated! The country is in debt because everyone wanted change and we sure got it…in our pocket instead of the dollars we used to have!

• If the veteran does not have the mental/physical abilities to attend college and cannot work at a level to fund his son/daughters education then it would only be fair to provide such a benefit for this veteran who has sacrificed himself. Besides, his/her child has the potential to earn at a tax base level that will more than pay back this benefit.

• Most of the other "ordinary folks didn't have their rights abrogated by the will of military command and subject their God given rights to the will of their superiors for any number of years. That being said, it should be acknowledged that the GI Bill is a great benefit when it works as advertised even without all of the bells and whistles you guys want.

18. Leonard Otto says:

This sort of political hype comes around periodically before election times and when the wars wind down and the job market is harder. Was this not known decades ago? What the government needs to do is redress those who lost things by such institutions. It can start with the veterans administration itself that stands in the way of a liberal interpretation or even a neutral one of such laws when it comes to things like education or other benefits promised. Note the reversal in a sense of the commenting policy of these postings for my so called service officer slandered me and the govt seeks to discriminate against veterans as all are mentally disabled and so on… I guess I will die of old age before I ever get to school but that has not stopped me from learning things nor for that matter loving my country- someone has to these days. Pro Republica L.Otto AF14871466 class one intelligence and glad he never say combat so as to hurt anyone. I receive nothing whatsoever from the veterans administration.

19. flex43974 says:

I am a bit confused with the responses to this bill… majority of us on this page is off topic… the bill focuses on educating veterans to make sound educational choices… now anything falling under the veteran will automatically be covered; which means the information learned by the veteran through this act should be passed on by the initial recipient of the information, "the veteran", to the veteran's Post G.I. "Bill successor (kids, spouse, etc)"; just a matter of filtering the information, very simple… no need to re-invent the wheels, and no justification to why professionals (yes, us military personnel/veterans are very professional) individuals not leave comments specific to the subject matter.

20. James Wilson says:

Always deal with the V.A. Rehab Rep and they will guide you to school that have good records.

• ITT-Tech Graduate says:

Warning to all military vets! Stay away from ITT Tech. They are only interested in your GI Bill funds, not if your learning anything in your classes. To prove my point, a prospective employer laughed when I told him I earned a degree from there. So, I think the bill will help other vets avoid the humiliation.

• Hill Downs says:

Don't make the same mistake I did, use your GI Bill first, then once exhausted if you are medically disabled at least 30% service connected, you can go to Vocational Rehabilitation & they will put you in school up to 48 months with BAH. However, if you go Vocational Rehab first, you loose your GI Bill benefits and they don't tell you that until half way through their program and that's if you are lucky.

• VA Cert. Official says:

When you go Vo-Rehab YES you do loose the Ch. 33 (post 9/11) if you didn't you would be double dipping!

21. When you serve its you who give the gov the bank ck not your family when I served I was told and I now agree that if the marines wanted me to have a wife and family they would issue you one( served in the Corp)so If your children want to go to collage on the GI benefits they need to earn them not you for them.If that was the case I should get what ever I want my family has had men in uniform since the first Gorege W.1776 one.Your benefits was earned by you for you.We never had women in our family serve other then to give birth to the men should our moms' now get benefits also,what of Dad or the family's dog who loved us Silly huh.

• poorly written and poorly conveyed

• This guy did not take his English MCI…

• TruSoldier says:

Hey Momo,

What do you expect… He's a jarhead and an obvious douche bag. Our families suffer from our absence as much as anyone. If we choose to give them our GI Bill benefits, then what is it to this moron. At least we have the option. He was probably discharged for failure to adapt and has no benefits to give his family (if he was issued one). Idiot!

• By your current lack of grammar it appears that you definitely did not use your GI bill. It is a benefit that we earned as service members and should be used by us for educational benefits however we see fit.

22. How about being happy with the fact that you earned this benefit, then are able to direct the funds in which way you see fit? Not sure what issue is here? Is the flak coming from those who didn't get the GI Bill and are now sour about it? My money, my discretion, even if that discretion is to NOT use it at all.

23. America F'ya! says:

Why are you all arguing about whether you can or cannot transfer it to your family or whether you think it is right or wrong on this site. The fact is you can transfer it by law since it is your capital which you earned. Now, that's settled, this is of no concern in the consumer awareness act. I mean they broke it down into bullet points for you people and you still don't get it. I believe we don't need to K.I.S.S., but engage ourselves on a higher level to know how screwed up a country is that constantly tells its civilians that their sole duty is to shop. We are veterans and we understand what the true duty is so let's get out there and lead this country to take care of its people by cutting the BS and actually bettering future generations to come. Lets start using our intellect and step back from all the emotion, desensitization and sensationalism.

24. What about us older Vets, who weren't able to use or bill or our spouses bill, during the time when we first got out. Who, are now being told, you need a graduate degree to keep doing this job or be demoted or termed. Cost today, are crazy. When, I first went to college it was, $2000.00 to 5000.00 semester. Now, you have instution requiring $67,000.00 to 80,000.00 for a 1 year program. I'm a few year to retirement age. Now, I need to go in to debt, so, I keep my job and my home. With no help from anyone. No, one wants to give graduate degree, scholarships or grants. Can't use the GI Bill, because, I've been out to long. So, what about us, who servied during Nam and D-Storm?

25. As a veteran, I've been waiting for something like this. The only thing is how long it will take those slugs in D.C. to put their politics into action. Knowing them, they will find some other place to put the money!

26. What about serviceman during my era mid eighties under VEAP!

• Try being VEAP and serving long enough to qualify for transfer to Montgomery and finding that out well after the open season period has closed!

27. Why doesn't The Government just open up Veteran's Academy, a centrally-located, funds-managed institution where if you got an honorable discharge, you're now eligible to attend for free, the government pays the instructors, they own the facility you'll be sleeping in, all you have to do to continue to be eligible to benefit by it, is to maintain good grades. Do some volunteer work on the campus, help keep the lawns mowed and the buildings painted, and be at class, SOBER, at 0800 hrs, and make it modern with online support/access etc. And, for vets wanting to do distance learning, buy an IBM server and get online. But, manage the costs. As for some schools that have priced themselves out of the range of normal mortals to attend without incurring a lifelong indentureship, they need to look at their internal structuring and determine if they can really afford 6-figure salaries plus benefits. The Real World is also a classroom, whatever happened to low-cost correspondence courses? Do you want to learn something in this life, or just be a hapless moneypuppet? Maybe the higher ed people figure if you're dumb enough to sign a military contract, you'll sign anything else they put in front of you as well, and they can basically just use you as a human vehicle to channel more revenue into their institution, which helps them live it fat in million-dollar mansions etc. Library's open, and in most parts of the country, that card is free or very low-cost, make effective use of it. Might not ever get you a degree, but degrees aren't necessarily the only measure of a person's knowledge, learning, or ability either.

• There are some out there still.

• D McKenzie says:

only in a perfect world…………..

• too much government control as we see it now, I have 16 years in the military and several deployments, common sense is taught by all branches, it would be better if all military people go off their ass and made thing happen for them selves not wait for free hand outs, ya we gave to our country and lost many but that is no right for the government to roll over and give us back, its not that they
      owe us, it was our choice, yes a bit of gratification is nice but our country owes us nothing, so get over it and make your own way, that is the American way,

• MP Mike 31B says:

Bert, I agree with you 100%. I finished my Masters with University of Phioenix, Online Campus, from 2006 to 2008….while seving as a Reservist on Active Duty! Biggest headache was registering each quarter on-line and catching my supervisor, a CSM at my Installation. (Then, when I was promoted E-7 in 2007, I did my own verification paperwork, which sped the process up a bit.) It's a great idea for anyone in the miltary who wants college…..

28. How about we pass a bill so those of us who paid for our benefits can receive the benefits that were available at the time of purchase? Not the GI Bil 2.0 bs

29. I am a veteran, I am 8 classes away from completing my BA at American Military University, I am a Montgomery GI Bill recipient and due to a lapse in judgment I had to drop out of college due to legal reasons. Nonetheless, I am free again and ready to complete college; however, I have no upfront money to enroll in college, and this makes the GI Bill useless to me. In my opinion, the current system is broken because my GI Bill benefits don't kick in until after I am enrolled in school and that sucks.

30. Reading all this is fun, yet disturbing in my family of all military and doing 16 years of service, yes my family all suffered loss and results of my being absent yet with the government changing and people wanting to have them pay for every thing makes my service an overall emotional term oil because the government I served is trying to convert everyone in to socialists. that you all is why everyone is fighting over not the benefits nor schooling. that should be at our most top of discussion , not worrying about benefits.

31. I would have to say that I am definitely one for online degrees. I attended a local college for over 2 years then I had to move. When I moved out of state and tried to continue my education I was faced with a decision. The choice i had to make was either going to a local traditional school and losing right at half my earned credits or going online and keeping all my progress. I chose online and in my opinion it is much more difficult than traditional schools. One major thing about online schooling is you have to be responsible enough to cover the material and complete your work ontime with no one reminding you to do so. At the local school a professor covers the materials, gives you assignments, reminds you of assignments due and hounds you for them if you do not turn them in. Not only that I have also found the assignments online to be more relevant to the materials and possible real world situations. So in short I feel online schools require you to be responsible and accountable for your own educational outcome. To me wouldn’t a online degree show a person to be more responsible and reliable to a perspective boss simply because no one was there hold their hand the whole time.