DFAS Offers Medical Disability Retirement Calculator

Source: Defense Accounting and Finance Service —

If you are considering medically retiring and have questions about your combined post military income after medical retirement, you should check out the DFAS Medical Retired Disability Income Estimator.

This personalized estimator allows you to enter your own information to approximate your total monthly compensation from Veterans Affairs (VA), Retired Pay, and Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). There is also a PowerPoint presentation available to learn how your total monthly compensation is computed, along with helpful links to other sites for information. The helpful calculator has up to date VA compensation benefits rates.

About the Author

Terry Howell
Before becoming the Managing Editor for Military.com, Terry served 20 years in the U.S. Coast Guard as an Aviation Electrician’s Mate and aircrewman. In his final role in the Coast Guard, Terry served as a Career Development Advisor, where he provided career, finance, education, and benefits counseling to servicemembers and their families. Since retiring from the Coast Guard, Terry has authored the book, The Military Advantage, managed the content for TurboTap, the DoD's online transition program and VAforVets, the VA's transition assistance website. Terry earned both his Bachelor's and MBA at Corban University using Military Tuition Assistance and his GI Bill benefits to help cover the cost.

20 Comments on "DFAS Offers Medical Disability Retirement Calculator"

  1. It seems out dated as it deducts your VA disability even if you are above 50% which has changed for many retirees.

  2. I beleive it deducts it and adds back as CRSC.

  3. john cooper | January 3, 2013 at 1:23 am |

    is it illegal to claim spouse and dependent if you are getting a divorce and he is not paying his child support?

  4. is this computation your VA rating included? I am 80% disabled and was just given an increase from The Physical Disability Review Board from my discharge in 2003 and I was curious to calculate my back pay. This is making me think that I will get a smaller amount than I already receive. If someone has been through this process could you please give me some guidance!

  5. I can’t see the calculator and I would like to know what I am entitled to. I have already received 60 percent from the va. Any ideas?

  6. VA Comp and Army dis. retirement are seperate. though you can not draw the full entitled of both, you should recieve the CRSC to make up for the difference. Army dis retirement will match the VA rating at the time of discharge but will not change with you va rating.

  7. major luckett | July 19, 2013 at 5:58 am |

    Im getting medical retired not regular retirement, do my ex wife still get a percentage of my medical retirement.I have been in for 25 years went thru a medical board and was medical retired.

  8. Can I receive retirement pay and VA disability pay at the same time? I cant see the calculator thing either, the page is blank. I am trying to figure out what I would get. I have 90% disability rating from VA and 50% military DoD. I was in the Marine corp and got medically retired after 3yr 9mo. I got approved for CRSC at 90% also. I am currently only receiving VA pay. Can I get my retirement pay while Im receiving VA pay and CRSC? My CRSC isn't very much (about $150/mo) since my LOS was 3 years 9 months. I am retired under chapter 61, which is why i can get CRSC even though I dont have the full 20 years. Anybody have any answers or know where I can find help? It would be greatly appreciated> also, would retirement back pay? Thanks.

  9. cant see the calculator either i think that they need to update the page so people can get the information that they need.

  10. for those of you not seeing the calculator try looking at it with Internet explorer I ran into the same problem using a Mac

  11. My wife died and my disability retired pay was reduced now that I have remarried will it return to the way it was before or do I have to apply for it.

  12. dont worry about it | September 17, 2013 at 8:27 pm |

    How about you make one that works for all comuputers – jerkoffs.

  13. SFC Battistini Fco | January 15, 2014 at 3:58 pm |

    I was medical retired after 18 years. i get my retirement pay check until I start receiving my VA disability and then they took away my Military retirement, I hear that the congress is going to sing to return that benefit to us again. If someone have any information about it?

  14. Well the caluclator is wrong . If you are being seperated from the military for medical reasons the military has to use the VA rating for your pay for retirement. not both. so basically if the VA rates you at 50 percent the military has to accept that rating.

  15. I found a free iphone app that calculates VA disability called My VA Benefits. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-va-benefits/id

  16. Bluefin Jor | March 8, 2014 at 1:03 pm |

    The percentage you get paid is whatever one pays you the most.. But, if you are over 70% you get paid both

  17. Arlie Griffis | March 21, 2014 at 12:01 am |

    Here's a question that maybe someone can answer for me… I was put in for a medical retirement, but it was denied within 3 days of being submitted because they said I had unknown neurological problems, then deemed fit for duty and was normally retired.. After being seen by the VA, they later diagnosed the unknown neurological problems as TBI, can I go back and refile for medical retirement since they misdiagnosed me and get this their mistake corrected….

  18. If you get medical discharge does your family still get benefits. I have 11 years of service and looking at 70% disability ( all but one is service connected and PTSD level 3 or 4, however the kicker is my son is an enrolled in the EFMP and is a category 5. Please not sure what to do or what options I have.

  19. Hello all,

    I am a NG soldier with 14 years and I am receiving 70% VA comp. I am beginning a med board and do not want to get screwed.

    I receive 20% for a back injury that was from active duty in 1991 then aggravated on a deployment in 2003 as a NG activated soldier. I also receive 50% for PTSD from my second deployment as an NG soldier in 2006.

    I have heard about CRDP and CRSC , VA vs Separation pay, severance package and would like to know going in what to expect and ensure that I receive.

  20. So I did the math for the CRSC after inputting 50%x70%x80%x90%x90= 0.2268 -100%=0 what am I doing wrong anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong here other then I can't add lol

Comments are closed.