On May 1, 2012 TRICARE will be changing the TRICARE Dental Program coverage from United Concordia to MetLife. This means that over 2 million Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve members, family members, and survivors may soon see some significant changes to their dental coverage.
NOTE: The change to MetLife is for family members, members of the Selected Reserve and Individual Ready Reserve, and survivors only. The Active Duty Dental Program will continue to be administered by United Concordia. The TRICARE Retiree Dental Program coverage will remain under Delta Dental.
According to TRICARE, beneficiaries can expect to see the enhanced dental coverage at a lower premium share under the new contract. MetLife will distribute program information, provider network details beginning in first quarter 2012.
Highlights to the benefits and enhancements are listed below:
- Coverage of posterior resin (tooth colored/white) fillings.
- Increase in the annual maximum to $1,300 per enrollee (formerly this was $1,200).
- Increase in the lifetime orthodontic maximum to $1,750.
- $1,200 per year for services related to dental treatment due to an accident as defined in the TDP handbook.
- No cost shares for scaling and root planing (deep cleaning) for diabetics.
- Coverage of an additional (3rd) cleaning for women during pregnancy.
- Expansion of the survivor benefits to surviving spouse and child(ren).
To check if your dentist is already part of the MetLife network, visit the Metlife TRICARE Dental Program website and click “Find a Dentist.”