New Guard and Reserve Dental Benefits Under TRICARE TAMP

February 24, 2012 | Terry Howell

The following was provided by TRICARE.

National Guard and Reserve members separating from active duty after an activation of greater than 30 days in support of a contingency operation may now receive the same dental care benefits as active duty service members. The TRICARE Active Duty Dental Program (ADDP) now provides coverage to these members in the Transition Assistance Management Program (TAMP).

ADDP beneficiaries receive active duty dental benefit services as long as the referral and/or authorization requirements are met prior to receipt of care. Authorizations will not be granted for any dental care procedure that cannot be completed within their 180-day maximum TAMP period.

Eligibility is verified by ADDP contractor United Concordia Companies, Inc. using the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). All TRICARE beneficiaries are advised to keep their enrollment information updated in DEERS; if eligibility cannot be confirmed, ADDP dental care will be denied.

TAMP provides 180 days of transitional health care benefits to help certain uniformed services members and their families transition to civilian life. Benefits begin the day after the service member is separated from active duty. Family members and dependents are not eligible for ADDP benefits under TAMP, but remain eligible to purchase coverage through the TRICARE Dental Program (TDP). Service members receiving benefits under TAMP are ineligible for the TDP until the end of the 180-day transitional benefit period.

Connect with TRICARE on Facebook and Twitter at www.facebook.com/tricare and www.twitter.com/tricare.

Comments

1. This is a great for Guard and Reserve members. United Concordia is very affordable. I suggest everyone that can to take advantage of it.

• I also think the United Concordia is very affordable. For the Reserve members my husband is just paying $31.72 for the 2 of us.

2. SPC Talavera says:

I got off title ten of September 1, 2011 am I eligible. I did 404 days in theater.

3. willstwigg says:

There is nothing affordable about United Concordia! That is why the Government is canceling their contract with UCC in May and going with MET Life!

For a family plan of three including the service member it is nearly 90.00 per a month! Now you tell me how is that affordable? Only a bafoon would make a comment like that and not have all of the facts first!

• There is a cap- 1200, if you have a lot to be done, than it is worth it.

• $90 a month is not affordable? Dude I was nearly paying that a week for my civilian employer. I'll take that for a family of three any day over paying almost $400 a month non government.

4. The tricare dental is great while mobilzed but for guard and reserve member 90.00 a month is extreme for a family of 4. I jus reurned home from iraq in dec… just dropped united concordia and went with my civilian employer for only 18.00 a month for myself and the family. I would have stayed with united for the 27.00 active duty rate due to the fact orders and mobilzations happen.

5. Brian Bouwens says:

Will Met Life be more affordable and does anyone know there rates ???

• Sylvia M. Buford says:

Brian,

I am a single parent and MetLife charges 10.50 for me and $26.50 for my daughter. I don't know if that's the family rate for my daughter or a single family member or the whole family.

6. Hasn't it always been this way? I am a Reservist who had United Concordia after I got back from Iraq. I cancelled it this year because the Dental offered through my employment was way cheaper. I have never had dental problems, and heard United Concordia was great and affordable. While the 12$ a month was nothing, and they were great for X-Rays and any dental work needed, bi-annual cleanings were ridiculous at 60$ a visit. I now have a plan that only cost me 7$ a month through my employer, and the bi-annual cleanings are only about 22$ twice a year. United Concordia isn't bad, but they aren't great either

7. The main thing to remember if you have tri care dental is to see if your employer dental insurance allows for a secondary policy if so then if you use them both you can save even more out of pocket expense.

8. This is Bull! I got my DD214 in FEB returning after nearly three years on a contingency tour. They put me on TAMP and teh ADDP, then pulled the ADDP so I had to pay for a Reserve policy with United Concordia. So don't believe everything you read!!!

9. Ron Hernandez says:

I agree ,there is nothing affordable about United Concordia. The Guard and Reserve’s have always been treated i the bastered children of the military. The thing that bugs me is that we have to deploy more then most active duty units. the members of congress know this and still dental insurance is to high for us and family members. So don’t believe everything you read!!!

JMC’s comment is right!

• YOUR RIGHT ALOT OF US WENT OUT THERE I NO THAT WAS A JOB BUT DOES OUR OWN GOVERMENT REALY GIVE A SHIT ABOUT THE VETS AND UNFORTIONATE PERSONAL BESIDES THERE OWN FAMILY PROBLEMS THAT THEY HIDE SO DAM WELL EVEN THOUGH THEY DONT EVEN GO TO WAR WITH US I AREADY HAD BAD EXPERIENCECES WITH THEM SO BE LIKE THEY SAY BE PATIENT AND WAIT FOR ABOUT 3 TO 4 YEARS BEFORE YOU GET YOUR FULL ANSWERS TO WHAT EVER YOU NEED

10. Reginald Nickens says:

I am an veteran from the national guard in 1969 to 1970 I am presently employed part time and attending school at University of Phoenix fro information technology and over 20 years in managerment information system (MIS) and looking for employment.

11. dentist tequesta says:

What is important to keep in mind if you have tri proper care oral is to see if your company insurance plan allows for an extra plan if so then if you use them both you can preserve even more out of wallet cost.

12. I spent 14 years in the Guard including 5 days in the Newark Riots. May not seem much to a guy who served 3 years over seas but the fact Is, HE OR SHE NEVER SAW AN INCH OF REAL COMBAT. I'm not comparing a civil action to real combat but at the same time, I was shot at and I killed serving the people of this country. Most important and relevant TODAY, without the Guard and Reservist we WOULD NOT HAVE a capable army. GO AHEAD AND DENY IT, BUT IT IS THE TRUTH. Why is it then, if a Guard or Reservist serves a full tour of 6 years, he or she does not get even half the recognition of a 3 year veteran. It doesn't make sense because it is simply unfair. Tell you what, ignore reservist and tell Congress to reinstate the draft. Let's see how far that goes or give the reservist the recognition they deserve.

• BOYD JONES JR says:

I SGT.BOYD JONES JR. RET.238 80 11O5 NC ARNG. 28,HONORABLE YEARS. MY MILITARY RECORDS CAN-NOT, BE-FOUND…… WHY !! PLEASE FORWARD THIS TO SOME ONE THAT CAN HELP BOYD 1105.