VA Reports Some May See Delay in GI Bill Payments

January 13, 2012 | Terry Howell

The following was posted on the VA’s GI Bill website:

“There was a delay in processing verifications submitted through WAVE and the automated phone system over the New Year’s holiday. If you verified your attendance on 12/31 or 1/1, your payment will be delayed approximately one week. This was a system error and we [VA]apologize for the inconvenience.”

Be sure to visit the VA GI Bill webpage for any addition news or information.

Comments

1. One week? What about the last Three months I havent been paid.

• Joe Harris says:

Have you certified yourself or does your school certifying official certify you.Three months is a long time battle to not get you benifits.

2. Jerry Schlotter says:

Yeah, right. I am now at 47 years waiting for my compensation claim. It is still in the system and was just informed that I went to the bottom of the list again. GOOD LUCK VETS!

3. Wow what do we put our lifes at stake for. They expect us to fight for our country, then hurry p and wait. This is a joke lol

• I love the recent changes Congress passed as well. The pay break of the housing stipend is great. I only got 1/4 of my housing allowance, which forced me to use my book stipend to pay rent. Now I cant afford my books or food. Keep it up congress, I feel great from all those years of service. Pell Grant? ha apparently I make to much money working part time.

4. They should delay the workers' payments for the same time as us veterans, and maybe then wew will get paid in a timely manner! Congress , thank you so much for the changes you made to the Post 9/11 bill. Although it does help some finally get more benefits, it hurts us more than helps us, but it looks like you got you way because you get to save pennies at the veterans' expenses! I just want to get my degree to set the example for my son, and have a successful future, so I can give more tax money to Congress to screw over more veterans with.

5. Ralph Shorter says:

I understand all of you and your problems. I have been over 2 years trying to get tuition assistance from the VA and was denied because I didn't have a 6 year contract with the Military. Funny, I am still serving and only have 2 more years on this contract. I had to quit the school that I was enrolled at because I couldn't get the money and now I have a $6,000.00 payment I have to make out of my own pocket. By the way, watch out for the enrollment into Colorado Technical University, they have teachers that will not answer your questions online and if you drop them, they will still charge you for it. WOW, what a problem.

6. Ernest Jones says:

Welcome to the world of the TEA Party?????What will they do next???????

7. The delay in payments is so that they can find more ways to slowly take away our small amount of bennies that we have left.

8. Joe Harris says:

I have never had a problem getting my pay from V.A. for my CH33 or my disability. I could complain about alot of things but I still have it better than any civilians benifits. If we want somthing done we have to fight, and I think we all know how to fight for what we want. So fight for what is yours and stop complaining.

9. Joe Harris says:

Was I the only Vet that received an increase in my benifits? I think not, so they are still giving not taking away. Again I will say if you want somthing you must fight for it, even if we already fought for it once.

10. Americans need full time jobs. DoD dollars can be used to employ MORE civilian employees to take the overflow of service calls at the call center of Oklahoma. MORE civilians (retired vets) can be hired to deal with veteran’s issues such as expedition of certificate input at the college level and at the VA reception level. If the college vet/civilian/student does not put in the certificate number in the VONAPP database then VA call center CPU database shows NO ENROLLMENT and you get no money.

11. This is what I intend to do in action to resolve my interim issue of pay/benefits/income. GO to the DAV, VFW, American Legion and various chapters in my local area to pitch to the coordinator my justification of funds need by presenting to them a series of documentation with dollar values and let them see my mitigating circumstances. 211- is a number to collect resources for names address and telephone numbers that work to direct YOU to the agency which has (free to you) food, shelter and emergency cash assistance. If veterans meet other veterans at college and see that they get along okay they can room with each other or bunk in a motel/hotel while attending the university of your choice. (better than a homeless shelter, ya think?)

12. Their are bus passes each city metropolitan offers to colleges and when you go to the psychological counselor and present your dire straights to them they can give (free to you) a few bus passes. Each new semester their are a myriad of civ/vet students who need transportation to and from college, so the line is long to pay for a very discounted bus pass for 30 days.

Meanwhile I intend to hammer out and on the veteran to get my certificate in the system so the call center can process it and direct deposit my benefit college assistance stipend onto a prepaid visa.

I got more to offer but if you have read all this get your boots moving super troop you got much to move, shake and happen-OUT.

13. Mistreated says:

Well, my first day of college has come and gone and I don't have a book or supply stipend. The VA hasn't even sent me the email to let me know that they got my paperwork. Why? Because the VA representative at CSN in Las Vegas is a piece of shit. He has had my paperwork for nearly two months and still hasn't sent it off to the VA.

That IDIOT is sitting on my paperwork and there's nothing that I can do about it. I have a feeling that I'll have to get the local news stations and newspapers involved to shame him into doing his job.

If I'm lucky, I may be able to pay for two textbooks out of pocket next week. I'm taking 6 classes and I can only afford to buy 2 books. Sometimes, it's not the VA; it's the stupid representative at your school that is causing the delay.

• several people and myself had to wait about 60-90 days to receive payment after enrolling into college. this is normal, unfortunately. check the va website, they will tell you the same thing as far as this goes.

14. I’ve bn in school for a month n hav not seen a dime from the VA. I’m so frustrated I can’t focus on my studies. I feel sorry for the VA. They really need to get it together. I have to think they are making the best effort to handle this situation but somebody making a lot of money needs to be fired. How can you not be prepared for a situation that is reoccurring. It’s the same thing every semester. Really glad I didn’t go to war with these idiots, might not have made it back. VA I’m pleading, please get it together for veterans sake.

15. I have contacted the VA several times and got the same answer, they have a record amount of verification enrolments and backed up at this time. I think the VA does not have the funding available to pay out the large amount of benefit enrolments they have received. It makes school difficult when having to work extra hours missing class to compensate for the loss of VA benefits. I am simply talking survival money.

• Same problem here. My school had my paperwork on Jan 3rd and the VA claims they got it Feb 3rd. My first call said to wait 17 days and then my 2nd call I was told that it had been pushed back to 30 days. I called after 30 days and they said that I would have to wait probably 60 days. I assume that when i call at 60 days they will say to wait until 90 days to check back.

• well im glad im not the only one suddenly not paid on time. my former landlord thinks im lying that i just dont want to pay rent. im trying but as we can see, several people are not able to pay their bills at the present time.

16. I am on the second term of my spring semester, and still havent seen any GI bill money. Is there ANY way to inquire about when we will be seeing ANY sort of GI bill money. Funds are running low and bills must be paid. Time to start looking at next semester (if I can afford to wait this long again).

• You need to contact the VA education benefit hotline 1888gibill1 to check on the status of your claim, also check with the rep at your school to make sure all your paper work is has been submited. What Chapter are you?

17. Is there some apartment financial requirement waiver for Veterans Affairs Post 9/11? Complexes require 3 times the rent in income and VA / monthly housing allowance doesn't satisfy that. Is there anyway around this? Besides the obvious of getting more housing allowance.

18. 17 January 2013 and still have not received December 2012 GIBill payment. Anyone else still waiting?