DFAS Instructions for Retiree Tax Forms

Many military retirees and annuitants opt for mail delivery of their important year-end tax forms (1099R) and most will get their 1099R without too much hassle. However, some retirees and annuitants have moved during the year without updating their information with the Defense Finance and Accounting Service or some misplace the original they receive in the mail. Each year, DFAS gets bombarded with requests for 1099Rs.

To help avoid the long phone waits on hold, DFAS has issued the following instructions for retirees and annuitants to get their tax documents using myPay, the DFAS automated phone system or Fax.

Using the myPay system:

Members can view, print or save a copy of a 1099R using myPay by following the steps below:

Step 1. Go to https://mypay.dfas.mil/mypay.aspx.

Step 2. Enter your Login ID on the home page.

Step 3. Enter your password on the virtual keyboard when prompted.

Step 4. Access 1099R from the “Main Menu” by clicking on the “Tax Statement” option.

Step 5. View, print or save tax statement. Those who have trouble reading the graphic version should click the “Text Version” link.

Note: Users who have trouble accessing myPay should call 888-332-7411 and select option number 5. Customer support is available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. Eastern time.

Videos that explain how to use myPay are available at www.youtube.com/user/WePayDoD.

OR –

By Automated Phone System:

Step 1. Call R&A Pay at 800-321-1080.

Step 2. Select option 4 to request a 1099R 24 hours a day, seven days a week without waiting to speak to a customer service representative.

Step 3. Enter your Social Security Number using your touch-tone keypad when prompted.

Note: Your 1099R should arrive in 7 to 10 business days.

If you are still experiencing difficulties and need to speak to a customer service representative, you should call 800-321-1080 Tuesday through Friday between 7 a.m. and 7:30 p.m. EST and select option 0. In the event that call volumes are high and DFAS is unable to serve customers as quickly as we would like, you may experience a “courteous disconnect” informing you that you are either being routed back to the automated system or requesting that you call back at another time. This avoids long delays caused by excessive wait times.

OR –

By Fax:

Step 1. Write a short letter requesting a new copy of your 1099R.

Step 2. Include your name, Social Security Number, mailing address, signature and date.

Step 3. Fax your request to 800-469-6559 or mail it to:


Defense Finance and Accounting Service

U.S. Military Retirement Pay

P.O. Box 7130

London, KY 40742-7130


Defense Finance and Accounting Service

U.S. Military Annuitant Pay

P.O. Box 7131

London, KY 40742-7131

Note: Your 1099R copy should arrive in about two weeks.

About the Author

Terry Howell
Before becoming the Managing Editor for Military.com, Terry served 20 years in the U.S. Coast Guard as an Aviation Electrician’s Mate and aircrewman. In his final role in the Coast Guard, Terry served as a Career Development Advisor, where he provided career, finance, education, and benefits counseling to servicemembers and their families. Since retiring from the Coast Guard, Terry has authored the book, The Military Advantage, managed the content for TurboTap, the DoD's online transition program and VAforVets, the VA's transition assistance website. Terry earned both his Bachelor's and MBA at Corban University using Military Tuition Assistance and his GI Bill benefits to help cover the cost.
  • JGalt

    You can complain 24/7, but nothing is going to change unless you take aggressive action (e.g, commuinicate with your elected representatives and demand they support TFL and other such benefits). And, vote with your feet. These policies are being undertaken by elected erepresentatives and their appointees. Take them out of office by denying them re-election and demand agreements from those who replace them.

  • retired

    It doesn’t matter who you vote for because ALL politician talk from both sides of their mouths depending on whom you are at the time when they are talking to you. The only way to bet these people at their own games is to use the system against them but because you are in uniform you cannot go against your government but what about your family and friends. What about being active and joining in these big lobbing organizations if you are retired and sitting on the steps of the White House or Congress demanding the same benefits that they are getting for a service that you volunteer for. The problem is most of our government now HAS never served in REAL service time so they have no idea of the commitment or dedication that you give when you take that oath of service. I retired after 20 years and would have stayed more if I could but from what I have gathered from our Honorable Leaders is that maybe I should not be alive that I should have died in that uniform so that I would not be a bother to them and their precious pay raises or their free cars, houses, vacations, kids going to top notch colleges, their kids being taken care, and then of course their FREE medical care and top notch at that off of tax payers and military sweat and sacrifices.

    • roscoe

      you are absolutely correct. Blame is like two guys out in the middle of a lake with a hole in their boat. everyone wants to know #1 who put the hole in the boat and, #2 how do we fix the hole. If you don’t resole the questions in the correct order the second one wont count. republocrats are all to blame so who will fix the hole? I write all my congress critters and get crap back yet Gates still wants my dough. He has plenty and wants my “modest increase”. And even the Obamacare left our kids out of luck, retiree kids in college don’t get the up to 25 med benies like civilians do. TRICARE needs to have special hearings?!#$%#?(*!#. Yeah I kept my promise too. I want to know who cares? Can’t even go to the Nav hospital any more!

  • Harry C. Thomas

    I went to up town hospital Augusta Ga with liver failure & was completely ignored.
    PC DR. did not know VA had a transplant program. I recieved no help at all. This was Jul 08

    Aug 2010 went to VA uptown for eye appt. they changed my glasses. Dec 2010 I went to local civil Dr. Dong, Athens Ga & had surgery 8 Dec 10 on my right eye
    & Dec 22nd on my left eye. This was cataract surgery’s


    I served twenty years plus , three combat tours THIS IS POOR HEALTH CARE!

  • John

    How may I request my retired annual statement for tax purpose? Please, thank you.

    • Alice B Crouse

      Thats’ why I am requesting a tax form statement. I do not know the tax for 2012

    • jeanette fernandez

      I haven’t recieved my w-2 for my tax purpose,
      Jeanette I Fernandez

  • Dennis F. Waugh

    Yes I have moved and need to up date records to show new address and need 1099R Tax form so I can file my tax for last year 2012.

  • Luz Ulrickson

    I have not receiver my form1099 r inspite of the fact that I sent a letter and fax last Feb 13 and another fax two weeks ago. It is close to the deadline of filling income tax . I went to finance office here in ElPaso but they cannot help me . I am desperate for help. My address is ; mrs luz Ulrickson 4824 tumbleweed ave.El Paso. TX 79924