President, Republicans Eye $23 Billion Benefits Cut

Last week, the Congressional Republicans and President Obama warned that if a new debt ceiling is not reached, veterans’ pay and Social Security pay would be threatened. In addition, President Obama and Republicans also proposed a new inflation index. The index would cut disability pay by $23 billion over 10 years.

Currently, the traditional Consumer Price Index (CPI) is said to increase with the rate of inflation. The new chained CPI is said to reduce payments during economic downturns to reflect spending during that period.

The theory rests on the assumption that consumers buy cheaper goods during hard times. Instead of buying Heinz 57, maybe you buy Generic Catsup. Since the consumer spends less money, they need less money. Therefore, if the consumer needs less money, then the amount of money they receive from Social Security of Veterans Disability should be less.

Now, there are obvious problems with this technique. The most blaring issue is my own question as to what the government will do with the money it was supposed to pay out to these individuals. Normally, people would spend the additional funds on goods within the economy. Instead, the government will take the leftovers and hand the money to whom? Perhaps Wall Street bankers and crony capitalists.

Aside from those, the government is clearly using slight of hand. Obama and the Republicans claimed the money would be a savings. However, it seems like they are stealing from the benefits promised to veterans and elderly Americans. After all, if the money is not paid out and instead saved, then someone gets less money on the other end. We, the people, will get less.

But we all know who will not miss out, our political marionettes and the puppet masters who run them.

Congressional Budget Office: “Using a Different Measure of Inflation for Indexing Federal Programs and the Tax Code.” Pg. 5.

NY Times: “Democrats Oppose Talk of Cuts to Social Security”

About the Author

Benjamin Krause
Benjamin Krause is a Veterans Benefits Attorney and journalist who investigates problems veterans face with the Dept. of Veterans Affairs. He regularly reports on veterans' benefits news and analysis on the website DisabledVeterans.org.

90 Comments on "President, Republicans Eye $23 Billion Benefits Cut"

1. Before they start taking my s.s, an my mil.disability compensation they best start in there own god damn pockets , these fat rats running our country are nothing short of being called thugs in my book an i have a permit to carry iron,like i said keep your money grabbing lazy ass hands out of my pockets or else!!!!!~

2. There has been no COLA increase in three years. Where's the savings?

3. PTSD Veteran | July 18, 2011 at 5:57 pm |

Come home from war and have to fight our own politicians again to get benefits we EARNED. Talk about kicking a horse while it's down. Have vets coming back with missing limbs, physical and mental scars for life and these politicians try to take money out of our pockets. This regime is pathetic!

4. So people cannot buy brand names because they don't have enough money. So the government's plan is to take money from them so they will have less. This plan is insane, but it came from Washington, D.C., so that explains it.

5. The whole idea stinks but I'd like to know why your meta tag for this article reads "Republicans Again Seek Veterans Benefit Cuts"? President Obama is just as much at fault here as the Republicans yet you signal to the internet that it's the Republicans fault.

6. the **** you say !!!!! let the banks help out ,like the gov. help them !!!

7. Corrupt Government at it’s best. Send us to war and cut our benefits?

8. DISABLED VETERAN | July 18, 2011 at 6:58 pm |

THIS IS REDICULOUS TO ME YOU HAVE TROOPS GETTING OVER THERE IN IRAQ AND COMING BACK MISSING LIMBS. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO OUR COUNTRY BACKING US UP WHEN WE HAVE FOUGHT TO KEEP THEM SAFE. THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THEIRSELVES TO TREAT THE VETERANS LIKE THIS AND AS WELL AS THOSE RECIEVING SOCIAL SECURITY. THEY HAVE EARNED THEIR BENEFITS. YET THERE ARE PEOPLE IN HIGH PLACES WHO ARE NOT GONNA BE AFFECTED FROM THIS TYPE OF CUTBACK. LET US KEEP OUR BENEFITS AND GO AFTER THOSE RICH PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT YOU DONT WANNA BOTHER. AS YOU ARE GONNA BOTHER THE VETERANS AND ELDERLY GO AFTER THEM. SOMEONE IS GONNA HAVE TO PAY IF THIS GOES THROUGH.

9. When enlisted back in 1968 we were promise that we and our dependents would be taken care of the rest of our live medically and financial. Medical wise we lost a lot since then and now they are threatening to take more from us. I did 20 years and am 60% diabled, they still try to billed my wife health insurance on me rather than give me my due right. The only reason I am on my wife insurance is a backup because if I walk in it takes hours to get in and if I have go to the hospital, I can go 60 mile in an emergency and pay or go locally and still pay a copay. So now you want to take more from me. Need a change in republicans and democrats. We have lost enough.

10. Glockster20 | July 18, 2011 at 7:07 pm |

I look at this this way, just like local govements threaten that if we do not raise taxes police and fire will be diminshed. So now the Feds are doing the samething with SS and disability pay. Maybe these idiots should really look at what they are wasting with all this welfare they kick out and all the money universities get with having foreign students there and cut some of that along with abunch of other stuff. But no we will go after those who are on SS and of course the military and cut there benes. What CRAP!. Military persons both AD and those no longer serving are a small percentage of the populas. There are more out there asking for handouts because they are too lazy! These people in Congress and the Prez are insane! But this is how they want to get a public reaction!

11. right on we all need vote them out office try cut veterans benefits people that serve are great country greeding congressmen

12. cut congressmen pay dont vote for any republic party that want cut are benefits

13. We live in a society that professional sport players make millions as well as our government officials and they would rather take benefits from us who have given limbs, our independence, and self esteem. Not to mention the burden we feel that we our placing on our love ones for taking care of us to strengthen an economy that we have already paid the price for.

14. If they really want to save money maybe they should think about cutting their own bonuses in Washington and Wall Street. Leave veterans benefits alone and do not touch.

15. Cut the number of Congressional and White House Aids by ninety percent; reduce the President and Congressional travel budgets by ninety percent; and stop allowing the Congress and President from using military medical facilities. Stop giving social security benefits to people who have not paid into the system. Stop providing free benefits to illegal aliens. Reduce the budgets of EPA, OSHA, FDA, Dept. Transportation by ninety percent, and eliminate the Dept. of Education. Miltary retirees and social security recipients have not received a cost-of-living incease in at least three years. Meanwhile EVERYTHING has gone up in price – food, gasoline, everything!! Leave the military retiree benefits packages and social security alone!!

16. Vietnam Vet | July 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |

The people who are elected by the people should look after us but they don't. They give themselfs a raise and now they want to cut SS and Military benifits. I am 100% disabled most likley from agent orange but I live on my SS and civilian retirement. They have cut the VA staff so we vets have to wait to get medicial and now they want to reduce ss and Vets again. Time for us to vote these so called officals out of office and have the do nothing extra people in Washington and in our State gov. They need to clean house as the cities do to balance the budget.That includes their pay.

17. It's amazing that there are lots of people like myself who survived agent orange and such without being disabled and unable to work. I was an infantryman and it's amazing the number of clerks and cooks crying agent orange and PTSD… Simply amazing.

18. TropicalFighter | July 18, 2011 at 11:35 pm |

I think the VA should not be exempt from scrutiny and tightening the belt. Too many scammers getting disability checks as it is in the VA. Too many people in the VA sucking it's resources that are simply there because they are "poor."

Time to send the poor vets out to get medical treatment elsewhere and save the VA for the service time/ war injured. Nuff said.

19. If all you people are as unhappy with our government as I am,then don't vote for them again.Put someone in office who will work for the people,not for themselves.

20. Dusted Eagle | July 19, 2011 at 12:18 am |

No wonder 18 vets kill themselves, every day, 365 days a year! I am 100% physically disabled. I lost my home, savings, and family waiting almost 3 years for my compensation. I now live in a 150 sq foot room with no kitchen or living room. I don’t need to live here. I need to move into a box under a bridge and get killed by an illegal alien who collects $40,000 per year in food stamps and section 8 housing. THAT IS WHERE THIS MONEY IS GOING. NOTICE THERE IS NO MENTION TO TAKE THIS MONEY AWAY FROM TOURISTS WHO ARE LIVING IN THIS COUNTRY ILEGALLY, AND WHO SPEND THEIR DAYS ON STREET CORNERS, SO THEY WILL BE OUT OF THEIR HOUSE WHEN SOCIAL SERVICES MAKES THEIR SURPRISE INSPECTIONS BETWEEN 8 AND 5, EACH DAY. BITE ME!

21. Dumb Grunt | July 19, 2011 at 1:46 am |

How about Congress take a 25% pay cut and a 50% reduction in benefits to start. They're willing to send us to do the hard stuff, then they should lead by example, because only a handful have ever served in uniform or have a clue what we have done. While we're at it, how about a 75% reduction to their expense accounts along with their government supplied cars. That should make up at least a billion or two per year. That should be more than enough.

22. Elect members who are for the veterans.Not the special interests.Let them feel the power of the veteran.The vote in 20012. Don't forget the good old boy net work at the local and state levels.Many are members of the special interests and greed clubs.

23. cowboyearl | July 19, 2011 at 7:51 am |

I think its time to do as other countries have done and have a revolt against the government. Every legal american needs to go to Washington and revolt and throw all of them out. Our country has gone to sht since clinton. Bush sr. DUMB, Bush jr DUMBER, Obama DUMEST. Money to wall street, the 3 top auto execs going to Washington in corporate jets to beg for money. Saying they couldn't afford to take a pay cut. Obama running all over the country, campaining for his friends. Running all over the world, kissing ass with foriegn leaders. $500,00 every time Air Force 1 and 2 leave the ground. Obama's mommy living at the White House. Who paid for that. I could go on and on, but i have things to do. Bottom line. The people in Washington have no idea of the value of a dollar. Spend and spend some more. When i retired in 1987 I lived on $8500 a year and still saved some $$.

24. THE PURPLE HEART GUY | July 19, 2011 at 7:54 am |

WE NEED NEED NEW LEADER TO LEAD OUR COUNTRY. GOES TO WAR AND FIGHT IN ANOTHER COUNTRY. MAKE THAT COUNTRY PAY THE GOVERNMENT FOR SENDING US OVERTHERE. SO WE ARE THE GOVERNMENT IS TAKING THERE LOSES OUT ON THE VETERAN FROM THE PURPLE HEART SOLDIER

25. they are just taking aways hard earned money from our Veterans and seniors. they don't care about the little guy never have never will. where is the governement going to get money to help end homelessness? they are going to forget about all the homeless Vets out there because they are cutting spending on some of the programs that we Veterans need the most. Go figure.

26. The REP and DEM are only looking after thier own interest, I heard nothing about cutting thier salary or benefits. Plus Obama and his family running all over the world at tax payers expense, also the US gives millions to countries
    who hate us, we give millions to countries in military equipment and weapons
    then after they turn on us and our service men and woman have to go fight them and get killed by the very weapons we give them, where is the logic. I am a 100% disabled Vietnam vet with many agent orange issues. It looks to me they are going to leave all of us on the battle field. I think it is a shame that Obama , DEM and Rep want to hold hostage the military,retired,vets and the people that has given to this country. What really gets to me is people paid into
    the SS system all their life are being put on the chopping block when they are already trying to chose whether to eat or buy their medications each month . SHAME on our government!!!! We need to vote the whole bunch out of office and start fresh with people who cares about Americans and not their own interest. This is a SAD day in American History…Semper fi

27. elguapo102 | July 19, 2011 at 10:50 am |

Personally I am ashamed to have associated my votes with the Republican Party, who seem to be selfish, money grubbing, spendahoics, ungrateful, hateful and disgusting excuses for Americans! God save our troops and God Preserve America from such political worthless Dolts!

28. disabled nam vet | July 19, 2011 at 11:30 am |

VOTE THEM ALL OUT. I do not care what party they belong to. This is the
    only way we can rid our country of this bunch of veteran haters.

29. fruitloops | July 19, 2011 at 11:43 am |

The vets and elderly have earned that money why not not cut the congresses and the house of reps salary and work from the top down in stead of the bottom up there are those that you cut ssi or disableity we will not even be able to buy generic ketchup so think long and hard when do us little people get a break from all of the tax increases and founding cuts I get 750 a month you cut that and I would't be able to pay utilities any more so I will come to your alls house for a shower.

30. This tactic has been used by Democrats for every money fight for at least the last fifty years. The reason they use it is because it works so very well. They complain to the Media that Republicans want to shut off Military Pay and Social Security and everyone panics. They have never let it happen and never will. Both political parties are corrupt and should be banned from the country. If the debt limit is not raised they will have to learn to live within the means of the country. They won't cut military or SS. Besides, what they mean by a cut is less of an increase, thus no pay increase for the last two years. We need to vote every incumbent out. the good as well as the bad. Fire all the old crooks and hire a new bunch. Within two years the new ones will be corrupt again. I'm the regular crew chief.

31. Are you kidding me? Cutting disability pay is the worst thing that anyone can do. The government created the problems that all of us disabled veterans have by sending us off to all locations around the world to stick our noses in someone elses business because we think that we should be the world police.
    I believe that congress should take a pay cut and receive less benefits, what have any of them done to deserve such high pay and life time free medical for the entire family? I am trying to stay calm but I am very pissed off about them even entertaining the thought of screwing over our veterans once again. Now all of you vets from Iraq and afghanistan are finding out what us veterans from vietnam have been going through for the past 40+ years. We just have to keep fighting all of the ones that want to cut our pay and benefits. It's just not right.

32. So many pay the price with little regard for themselves .I guess we should all take our last check and head to DC bring your tent ,plan on a long stay set up soup kitchens.We will all take care of one another if they see with their own eyes what an Army of million looks like.What else can we do they are making us irrelevant. My brother they are declaring war on us.We answered the call before this is about our country not theirs.So let pack and organize a massive trip to DC.What we will find out is who really is in charge of this country.Will they fire on us ,we will see but this is nothing new to us .Besides they will be denying us services that will send us all to grave much sooner why not let them have the blood on their hands in front of whole world.It is time to stand up and be heard not pushed aside like children begging for a hand out.

33. Remember the phrase "Buy American"? Car companies now buy parts from overseas, build out of the country.Same with just about everything we buy these days.Can somebody tell me why the Republical Congressmen think putting the tax system back the way it was is a tax increase? That reduction was temporary in the first place. And I need an explanation as to how the compensation package given to these nasty rich executives takes money out of their pockets to prevent them from creating jobs. It's there pay checks, not company funds. There is gross profit and net profit. Net is after all expenses are paid, including salaries. If a company can pay a executive $5million, it's got to be making a Hell of alot of money. Otherwise it's not going to stay in business very long. Look at Exxon's 34 billion profit. I don't remember seeing anything about was that profit after all expenses and investors were paid or was it before? Oh and let us not forget the money they give to politicians of all levels to protect them from the public. Now again, why can't vets and the elderly be paid?

34. Robert Arnold | July 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm |

This is really getting scary!! I served my time in the military, spent a year in Vietnam, and have been getting disability for agent orange related ailments. Still, I am 61 and have not worked in three years. Nobody will hire me, and supposedly, I am worth 15 extra points for an employer to hire me. Now, they want to cut my disability benefits that I earned?!! I have applied for 100% individual unemployability, due to my service connected illnesses, and I am anxiously waiting to hear. This news makes it obvious that I will not be receiving an increase anytime soon. Plus, the VA is trying to schedule me for additional exams to see if my disability still is relevant. Take away my money, and I might as well call it quits. Everybody, email and write to your Congressmen. Tell them how important our benefits are, and that there are a million other ways to cut the budget. Quit supplying these third-world countries billions of dollars, for them to turn around and use that money against us. Tell Israel to get with it and get a plan for their own defense, instead of raking it in from the U.S. Again, leave the disabled and veterans alone!!

35. Scum sucking "never served" TRAITOR TRASH CONGRESS. I hope Red China seizes every one of your assets in the coming years. You are cowards

36. Hey Congress………….Class of 1960's LOSERS. Have your hero Hanoi Jane run for President. You sucked back then and you really SUCK now.

37. People are all saying Don't vote the bums in, yet the same people get elected every year and those new electees soon learn that corruption is the name of the game in Washington. Congress is corrupt and soon turns everyone who tries to do right corrupt, BRING BACK SOME RELIGIOUS
    Bill MORALS TO OUR GOVERNMENT>

38. True American | July 19, 2011 at 4:55 pm |

If everyone would really think about it, there would really be no shortage of money by the Gov't if the Congressmen and Senators had to be electoed to their positions for a minimum of five (5) terms in order to receive a pension, but instead they spend one (1) term ($100,000 PLUS a yea)r and they get full retirement. That's where the money goes. I worked for 45 years and am a VeitnamVet and now live or try to live on Social Security, now this is how the Gov't thanks me. I believe in my country ,Flag and Constitution and Freedoms. I feel that we are losing it all. We give Billions to other countries, why not let them buy OUR GOODS. Every Dollar Americans spend on Foreign products goes to Foreign Countries. At the HOUSTON VA CEMETARY the Management wants to ban PRAYOR and ,the use of the words JESUS,GOD WAKE UP AMERICA AND GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD BLESS the VETERANS who gave their lives to a lot of NON -DESERVING people who really don't appreciate this Country.

39. Get ready Veterans, Military Retirees and families…..the next round of cuts will hurt and hurt badly! We make up 2% of the total population but will see as much as 25% cuts and extra fees in all areas. This so called "gang" of six destroys TRICARE, veteran benefits and other medical programs for our veterans, retirees and families. We didn't ask for the trillion dollar stimulus, bail outs and large deficits but we the few will be asked to pay for it. Contact your representative and tell them enough is enough.

40. I agree with Barton. We the few (veterans, military retirees and families) will pay a heavy price in the next few years. Sen Coburn, Sen Chambliss (both Republicans) and others on the "gang of six" destroy TRICARE and other medical programs for our veterans, retirees and families. We need to contact our representatives and let them know that we have had it! To balance the budget on such a small group of people that have given so much to our country is ridiculous. Enough is enough. Vote them all out next time!

41. thomas j sawyers | July 19, 2011 at 5:45 pm |

let obama quit takeing vacations useing government transportation and security stop congress from automatically getting pay raises if they don't vote on a raise freeze all pay raises for politicians for 4 or 5 years and see if they buy generic products .oh yea i'm a 80% disabled vietnam veteran

42. Another VN Vet | July 19, 2011 at 5:54 pm |

I think the American Legion,DAV,VFW,Am Vets shouid get off there butts and organize a march on Wash.to let the politicans know the Veterans of this Country will not take any cuts of any kind.Lets Chock DC with Vets like the politicans are Chocking us.

43. This is is a mess. I lust heard congress just gave themselves a $3.000 dollar raise. Why not put that money into social security and also congressmen, senators even the president should take a pay cut instead of giving themselves more. I have been on disabilty for 20 years now and I still barely make ends meet with no cost of living increse but everything else goes up (aka) food,gas,clothing,utilities

44. Like the song says headed for self distruction!

45. pfennigman | July 20, 2011 at 5:01 am |

I spent 23 years in the Army , went to Iraq, am 100% disabled and here is how it is.
    1. I have paid Taxes since I was 12 & am 58 now.
    2. Congress get an automatic pay raise every year, an serve just one term in any elected off in the Federal Government & they get a retirement for life, plus that medical plan that everyone is talking about./
    2. The Pres family went to South Africa to spend lunch with Nelson Mondala, the cost of all the personnel that had to go plus aircraft cost to transport all the vehicles. What about all of those 80- 100% pay hike he gave members of his staff.
    3. I am not asking for anything at all, I PAID FOR IT OR EARNED IT
    4. Stopped NASA to add another 14,000 workers to the soup line.
    5. Where are the Job's that never took shape, PUT PEOPLE TO WORK AND REBUILD THIS NATIONS INFRASTRUCTURE, THE HY-WAYS, DAMS.

ENOUGH SAID VETERAN EARNED THEIR DISABILITY SO OTHERS HAVE THE FREEDOM TO PROTEST.
    Steve

46. if this does happen I can promise you we will vote in droves and vote out any senator or president who lets this happen.Maybe the streets of d/c will become clogged with wheelchairs,walkers and canes….

47. First they take our Social Security money and spend it, now they want to take our pensions and benefits away or cut them, because they claim that we are not spending what little we have earned. I say during the next election, we show how we feel about their performance and conduct in office. Every Senator, Congressman, or the President himself, who vote to cut or take away our right to what we have earned is out of office this next election. If they really want to know what is on real Americans minds, come see the little people who made this country what it is today….Safe and Free……
    Blacksniper1

48. foreign students bring in money for the states. They pay tuition, eat and buy stuff.
    We need more from them.

49. The "gang of six" plan was just released. TRICARE goes away within 5 years with premiums going up to as much as $6000 a year before then. This part of the plan has to be voted on in Congress with 6 months. Again, these senators never served a day in the military and for them to cut the deficit on the backs of veterans, military retirees and their families is criminal. Let's all contact our reps and tell them to stop this non-sense. Enough is enough.

50. Disabled and pissed | July 21, 2011 at 7:17 am |

If the president wants to cut money from the budget why does he not start with himself. What does he need half a million dollar budget for anyway.

51. Mish Patrice | July 21, 2011 at 8:30 am |

Where's the justice? The soldiers fight for liberty, peace and justice for all. Is this how we pay them back? This is just not right….it's just not right.

52. Mary Kiele | July 21, 2011 at 11:10 pm |

I've been a caregiver for 37 years and I think a wife. I have no idea what a normal wife would be like. I get no money for all 37 years of no sex and now no money! Wow what a deal! Do ya think something is wrong with the airheads? I am now trying to get help getting one lousy paper to tell a mortgage broker how much he earns as our landlord has all his properties in fore closure. Does anyone know how I can get this paper? I have two more claims to work on and at my age(over the hill type) taking care of him, a mortgage broker, real estate agent and God knows what else can be pushed at me daily is really stress beyond stress and he is calmly only interested in his T.V. and when am I going to feed him next!!! Why not just let the government take all the guys and care for them 24-7. We all go on vacation till they realize our position(Oops I forgot we can't afford to hire a sitter or pay for a real vacation). God Bless all you!

53. Tim O'Connor | July 22, 2011 at 10:14 pm |

To All Brothers & Veterans, Whether Retired, Disabled or Active. In regards to current economic & political events, I feel a (Peaceful March), would be in order ! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

54. DISABLED VETERAN | July 24, 2011 at 10:35 pm |

THIS IS A CRYING SHAME TO FIGHT FOR YOUR COUNTRY, BE TREATED LIKE THIS. WE THE ONES WHO PUT OUR LIVES ON THE LINE FOR THIS COUNTRY ARE BEING TREATED LIKE ANIMALS, IN WHICH THE OWNER WILL LET STAY OUTSIDE IN THE HEAT AND GET NO WATER. ITS THE SAME HERE. WE GO AND FIGHT AND WE GET NOTHING IN RETURN. HALF OF US DONT EVEN GET A PAT ON THE BACK. SO WHATEVER YOU DECIDE TO DO JUST THINK GOD SEES IT ALL NO MATTER WHAT. SO HANDLE YOURS AND GOD WILL DO THE REST. GOD HAS THE LAST SAY SO NOT MAN. THE PEOPLE IN LEADERSHIP DONT WANT THEIR MONEY CUT SO WHY MESS WITH OURS. ITS JUST A DISGRACE TO VETERANS AND ELDERLY PEOPLE ON DISABILITY. WE ALL HAVE FOUGHT HARD FOR OUR BENEFITS ESPECIALLY IF WE HAVE CAME BACK WITH MISSING LIMBS , HAVING TO HAVE ALL KIND OF SURGERIES TO FIX THE THINGS THAT HAVE BEEN MESSED UP IN OUR LINE OF DUTY FOR THIS COUNTRY. IF THATS THE CASE THEN JUST PULL THE TROOPS OUT OF IRAQ AND STOP FIGHTING THE WARS. IF YOU ARE NOT GONNA WANNA PAY THEM WHAT THEY RIGHTFULLY EARNED. WE ARE THE ONES KEEPING AMERICA SAFE NOT THE PRESIDENT AND PEOPLE IN CONGRESS, IN HIGHER LEADERSHIP POSITIONS MAKIN THESE DECISIONS.

55. concerned angel | July 25, 2011 at 11:49 am |

i ask the question? if were 1 nation under god then what would god do in this situation? let's see 1. take money from veterans(disabled or retired) 2. protect only people who take and never give back 3. make young men and women serve there country only to die in a country the devil would not even go.4 ooh lets not forget the best part of it all, their children and their children's children will never go to war, only to the nicest institutions money can buy and your children will probably be serving 10 to 20.if were one nation under god then why don't we start acting like it!!!!!!

56. Combat, PTSD | July 25, 2011 at 4:19 pm |

I wonder how many of these ass holes fought in a war and have gone through hell doing it for their country. They now want to screw the service members that do there dirty work for them. I wonder who are enemy really are. Pray for are enemy's.

57. Another 1776 sounds real good to me,I,m a 100% nam vet and I'm sick of this government.Where does it stop folks?

58. If you have not worn the uniform, than you should NOT BE ALLOWED TO RUN FOR ANY OFFICE!!

59. I am not much of a traveler…………but if these people f**k us over on our benefits,
    I would not hesitate to go to DC with other Disabled vets and rally for the cause.

I wonder how that would look on CNN :) I am not the protesting type either…..
    but god damn them.

60. So our commander and chief want to take from the ones who are injured while fighting to give everyone their freedom , huh, wouldn't it be easier and smarter to just cut his pay in half and every one in congress in half, their budget cut. No one suffers.

61. Grateful but... | July 26, 2011 at 3:45 pm |

I receive an indemnity compensation payment because my late husband was 100% disabled. He was a wonderful man and he considered me his angel…. I saw him through 8 hospitalizations, 4 surgeries, chemotherapy, radiation several times, and at the end watched him essentially bleed to death. My husband literally bled to death for his country,There is no mending a broken heart and the strain of watching someone in pain for years. Nor can a price be placed on this. The amount of the VA DIC I receive is below the standard of a survivor pension in the private sector (I receive less than 50%) and I believe below a typical gov't survivor pension (55%)….I think there has been a proposal made by an officers group to bring the survivor's DIC in line and equitable to the 55% level, but that will probably not happen — and now no COLA either?? don't these people in Washington see what is going on with food prices, gas, heating oil, electricity etc? (I won't be ill-mannered and well, most politicians are lawyers and unfortunately, there is often a difference between law and justice. Many in Congress (or their spouses) are millionaires, so they forget how the church mouse has to live….

62. It looks like another Castro is in the making.

63. Read what Castro did when he took over.

64. I guess we all should volunteer to take a major pay cut so our lovely representives in Washington will have enough to give themselves a nice, big, juicy pay raise. Again.

65. I am a disabled vet and I would not be able to survive without my disability. If they take our disability away, it would make many vet like myself homeless. Is this what we get for fighting for our country.

66. So the overpayed elected officials want to take my military disability or cut it. How about we quit paying all the foriegn aid before you take from the men and women who fought for THIS country. Maybe 174K average they get paid a year makes them think they are above the rest of us getting 24k a year in veterans disability(80%) pay, this just doesn't pass the smell test!! We need a new regime in DC 100%, all the Rep and Dems have gotten too big in their own little minds. Pathetic they are!!

67. Nice to know the money I depend on at the beginning of the month to pay bills is being cut. I have lost my job and the only income I get is unemployment and disability from the military. Makes me feel like I banged my body up for this country for no reason. Thank Obama for making this Country even worse off.

68. SUFFERING | July 31, 2011 at 7:20 am |

Our country babies the illegals. There lead in is having children here to get all the freebies. We give to others why not the veterans. My husband has agent orange in his blood. He didnt ask for this and he probably wont live another 10 yrs. If he should pass away i wont make it . He is suffering and cant provide for me the way he wants to. I have a degree and cant find a job. we are stuck . We have not gone out since i lost my job in 2007. i have no medical insurance! but the children of illegals and the illegals get free medical food stamps sec8 and get this free day care .
    Heres how it is done in sothern ca. Come here have 5-6 kids . go to welfare they get cash aid, and the all the goodies of our tax dollars. Dad lives at home works for cash. all the while they dont pay any taxes.
    The reason we are hurting is we give every thing away. Since we dont have a say where are money goes that is not fair.
    Our unemployment rate is 14.4% here. I am stuck . I cant sell my house it is underwater.
    During the recession we have really suffered. Why is it I go without health ins while others get it free. Just for the mere fact they are from other countries. While is it when I worked i paid for my childrens day care. While others got it for free.
    This sucks!!! big time. If something happens to my husband. We are living on his ss and va award for serving in viet nam, He is pstd. Words cannot describe my shock what he experienced in viet nam. I am in deep financial trouble I am too young for ss. I dont have health ins. Could not possiably, survive . NO WORK HERE ALL the hispanics dominate this aea.

PLEASE DONT STOP OUR SS AND VA AWARAD!!! if you do get me a job like the one i had making 50,000. a yr.

69. Hal Downing | July 31, 2011 at 2:49 pm |

The President feels that I didn’t earn my social security check. And the current crop of “Republicans” do not impress me. I feel that it is time to put “NONE OF THE ABOVE!" on our nation’s ballot.

I’m a 74-year-old veteran, I was born in the 1930’s at the end of the great depression, I know the horror of those times. Bread lines, food rationing, gas rationing and unimaginable financial despair. I worked and paid income tax and fica taxes until I was 72.

The people who are elected by the people should look after us but they don't.
    Let's find our own Candidate for President.

Read more: http://dev-military-advantage.sites.thewpvalet.com/2011/07/pre
    MilitaryAdvantage.Military.com

70. Deborah Blackwell | August 4, 2011 at 4:52 pm |

I agree with all of you. What about from Obama to all his cabinet not receive their pay for another 6 years. Some of them have never served in the Military but yet they are sitting up there taking God's country for granted and for themselves talking saying that they are thinking about the people. Now days, nobody that runs are for the people. They are in it for themselves and they say we make it the best we can. We talk about Bill Clinton, and Ronald Reagan but they took care of the people. Other just get in the office and make the rich richer and make sure their family sits good. We Amereica have got to take care of the President for the rest of his life. We as veterans needs to come together and pray tha the Lord take care of our fellow vetrans and us because he knows what we did when we took the oath.

71. Imagine a million trained and proven killers exploited by the country they were injured in protecting–all at the same time. It's no wonder DHS has classified veterans as a potential source of terrorism, warned police departments, and specifically notes the economy as a reason. Perhaps they're thinking in the right direction. It sounds like they are bracing for the most shockingly stupid, unjust, and self-destructive choice they've ever made. Disabled Veterans usually got that way by killing people. Exploit your protectors, and overnight your parades will turn to riots, their shouts will turn to bullets, your patriots will turn to assassins,and your banks will be on fire. You think terrorism is hard to fight? Try planning for random vengeance from tens of thousands of soldiers specifically trained to fight terrorism–all motivated by resentment from betrayal by the government they were injured protecting. Are you just masochists?

Disabled Veterans have already paid for this governments mistakes with their blood and bodies. Gullibility is not a symptom of PTSD.

Don't be stupid. Pay your own bills. You'll live longer.

…or to put it in terms every disabled veteran understands, "Every dog has his day."

BE CAREFUL!

72. Imagine a million trained and proven killers feeling exploited by the country they were injured in protecting–all at the same time. It's no wonder DHS has classified veterans as a potential source of terrorism, warned police departments, and specifically notes the economy as a reason–while banks are allowed to LITERALLY walk off with the Treasury, while refusing to accept it if any conditions are made. Perhaps they're thinking in the right direction. It sounds like they are bracing for the stupidest choice they've ever made. Disabled Veterans often got that way by years of destroying governments by blowing up buildings and blowing people's heads off. Take away their hope and overnight your Veteran's Day parades will become riots, your patriots will turn to assassins, their grief will turn to bullets, and your country will be on fire.

Should a citizenry be terrified to beggar a mobile population of millions of trained killers who's homes have been stolen by banks, while handing their Treasury over to the banks that stole them?

I would be.

73. Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't care. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the *ss. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his *ss got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the job interviews, which sucks 'cause of the shrapnel in his *ss. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State.

I figure while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard. I could be elected president.

74. They love to prop us up as Hero's during campaign season. That is until you stop wearing the Uniform, then you are just a drag on the Economy. Let the rich kids go fight for a change! They can afford the screwing you get later. So much for Semper Fi?

75. Wow…this is the worst thing our govt could come up with. My mommy is a retired vet and well…like many that are disabled and will be cut …some wont be living in their homes anymore and the govt doesnt see anything wrong with this…so what are they saying now…its the kids job to take care of their parents if they become homeless? The people that run our govt need to go back to grade school where manners and morals where taught. I just cant believe this…..I hope they realize what they are doing before things get really ugly…and ppl start fighting back literally.

76. Bush may have been an A hole but he never cut my military pay, SSDI pay, or VA pay I was under all them systems under Bush and got COLA increases on all of them. Now when Obama became president we don't get anymore COLA increases and they want to cut VA benefits and you are blaming the Republicans? Obamas isn't a Republican so get the Republican out of your mouth it's the Democants that are hurting everybody.

77. I read that the presadent would like to cut military and vet. pay why not pay the pres, vice pres or past pres and not furnish them with guards and see how
    that would fly

78. Mike Swanson | October 1, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

So where do we organize against congress i think we really need to start
    showing up get in there face as a group and stop being disposable people.
    Congress knows if they cut us to deep it will come back to bite them in the
    ass. And if they do they just cut there throats because people will stop serving well i guess if that happens then congress can go fight the next on EH.
    We really need term limits on members of congress, line item veto so we
    know where they actually stand on the issues right now they have no account ability …problem is however that congress would have to vote on all that so i guess we are just screwed for the moment …although i say i could shoot
    anyone of them and not loose any sleep over it in fact to do so would make me feel all warm and fuzzy. They over spent social security , veterans benifits did not get us into this mess. Congress needs to accept certain benefits they have to pay. There is stuff in my monthly budget that i don't like to spend the money on but i do i accept it …they need to get there heads out of there asses and work for the people who elected them because they can be unelected.

79. I read the references for your article and I don't see anything about VA benefits being cut. I do see that old school members of congress didn't go along with Obamas proposals of cutting social security benefits.

80. I think we are all looking at this from the wrong angle. I suggest a class action suit against the federal government for breach of contract. The benefits you earned were part of a legally enforceable contract that would be upheld in any court of law if it were anyone but Uncle Sam trying to pull this type of thing. If they are going to cut veterans benefits they have every right to for people that have not yet enlisted but the ones that are already in or retired cannot legally have benefits promised in return for service cut when we have upheld our end of the bargain.

81. Maybe THIS is what it is going to take to finally "wake-up" our military! All of the wars since 9/11 had nothing to do with "defending our country" or "spreading democracy." The "war on terror was created to replace our "war against communism." It allows us an "easy invasion/occupation" excuse, to go into countries we would have had no chance entering or occupying. The enlisted servicemen/women bought the lies about "defending or country", and are now finally realizing they have been used only to further the "elitist's agenda! The rest of the military needs to wake-up and refuse to take part in this "imperialistic" movement.

82. you know what i am disabled vet, i know if they cut va checks then their will be a veitnam war in the us…15 million disabled vets do the math alot can still walk

83. roland wingo | July 24, 2012 at 5:09 pm |

to all veterans spread this to all you knew who ever served all branches the bottom line we must all come togather if it means we camp out in front of obamms house so be it we must band togather all groups dav vfw rolling thunder and put are coc and call it camp freedom under the white house brothers and a peacefull rally to show this stupid goveremant who they are messing with all vets all years all wars must band togather we must write letters send the white house so many damn calls there operators cant keep up with the bitches and clog there computer and when the dumb congress leaves at the end of the day they will feel like shit what they have done to us all

84. Since when have the republicans and Obama agreed on anything! This is not a Republican agenda, it is the President and the democrats that control the house that are pushing the agenda to radically cut DoD to shreds. The blame is placed on the Republicans who refuse to agree with the proposed bills that are being blamed. BUT look at the headlines, "Obama and the Republicans" working or agreeing together…….not very likely. It is up to congress to propose and approve a new budget or else drastics cuts will take effect. The democrats control the house and the Oval office, any cuts that occur or do not occur will be the results of Democrates actions!! As a leader, we all know who is responsible for what happens or doesn't happen – it is the leader not the private!! All militray members past and present need to now willingly accept what happens with OBAMA as Commander and Chief, if you voted for him, you have no reason to complain. Those who did vote for him, I am truly sorry and hope he cannot get his way with the benefits you rightfully earned. It is akin to him, Obam, reducing your college bebenfits at the same time offering scholarships to illegal aliens under the DREAM act.

85. your branch chiefs cut pay, they dont have to use majority of the money for weapons & technology. pay increases have always been based on the economy, if civilians get 3% then military gets same. the gov & pres just approve amount dept of defense gets

86. The leaders of this country,have no idea what they are doing,They are only
    concerned with themselves,,we cannot even feed our own children who are starving to death every day.They expect people who have no income to pay for insurance,WITH WHAT!!!!!.For one time ,why can we not work together and make
    this the UNITED STATES again.And not be a mockery for the rest of the world to laugh at GOOD GOD WAKE UP

87. This would be the Democrats and Republicans doing this! I say vote them all out! Everyone in Washington needs to go, they are all out of control and out of touch with reality!

88. Arnold lee Ryder | December 18, 2013 at 8:55 am |

I can't believe with all the money the government spends on ridiculous things, that they have to cut the people who protect our country!

89. Dinah the Democrats don't control the House. They control the Senate.

90. herschell cruze | February 28, 2014 at 11:01 am |

this is a way to kill the older veterans off the va has all ready cut my insulin that i am out of the called me and tolled me that my request for a re fell was denied but that i was not benid my insulin but i was denied a refill.i was getting six battles of Insulin and the last time i got a refill i just got 4 dottles and now they say cant get a refill the last of april i will be dead bythen what elss would you call this .

Comments are closed.