On July 12, 2011, President Obama will award Sgt. 1st Class Leroy Arthur Petry with the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry. SFC Petry is only the second living Medal of Honor recipient from the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. Having earned an MOH, He will be given privileges and benefits for the rest of his life.
Medal of Honor recipients receive the following privileges and special benefits:
- A Special Medal of Honor pension of $1,194 per month above and beyond any military pensions or other benefits for which they may be eligible.
- Special entitlements to Space “A” air transportation.
- Enlisted recipients are entitled to a supplemental uniform allowance.
- Commissary and exchange privileges (includes eligible dependents).
- Admission to the United States military academies for qualified children of recipients – without nomination and quota requirements.
- 10 percent increase in retired pay.
- Medal of Honor Flag.
- Allowed to wear the uniform at anytime as long as the standard restrictions are observed.
- Many states offer Medal of Honor automobile license plates.
- Interment at Arlington National Cemetery if not otherwise eligible.