House Moves Forward on 2012 Military Pay

May 06, 2011 | Terry Howell

The House Armed Services Military Personnel Subcommittee has completed their mark-up of the 2012 defense authorization bill (H.R. 1540). The term Mark-up refers to the process of determining the details and working out differences to produce a clean text for the full House Armed Services Committee to consider.

In the matter of the 2012 military pay rates, the mark-up version matches the White House’s recommendation for a 1.6% across-the-board pay raise. Although this is the sec­ond small­est raise since 1962, given the cur­rent bud­get envi­ron­ment it is slightly better than a a freeze.

Reaching early consensus on the pay increase has not happened in quite a few years and it may be an indication that the proposed 1.6% increase is a done deal. Of course this must still pass the full committee and the Senate has yet to weigh in.

View the proposed 2012 Military Pay Charts to see what a 1.6% raise will mean to your monthly budget.

Let your voice be heard! Contact your elected officials to let them know how you feel about the proposed 1.6% pay raise.

Comments

1. Why should we feel grateful for a 1.6% increase. Yes, the economy is bad at the moment but our families went thru hell and back for this country and were promised to be taken care of. Now it seems that every time we turn around our fearless leader are wanting to raise their salaries and cut ours. Where and when will this stop. Two years with no raises is appauling and this amount that they want to give us is disgraceful. I am proud that my family has served our country and we still believe in what we fought for, FREEDOM. Our families deserve to be taken care of and 1.6% increase is by far not enough. Especially when we are considering all the increased prices retailers are having to make because of our lovely economy problems and high gas prices. Sorry, this is not justifiable in my eyes.

• James Seigars says:

Somehow people forget that something is better then nothing and a little in the pocket goes further then nothing in the hand….Remember you served your country and did it proudly not thinking of the money you would get each month for working a job each day that you enjoyed…I served 22 years…Your family deserves your love be thankful…. RED

2. 51WINGNUT says:

Check out these sites for accurate information. If you iwll be fair and candid with yourself, you will recall that raises in Tricare abounded long before your "marxist scapegoat" ever entered the Oval Office. uys, come on, let's be fair to the guy.

• Christine says:

Um.. wingnut, you’re kidding right? Be fair to the “transparent” pres? not gonna happen. There is a plethora of things that he has done wrong and a shortlist of things done right. I’m ready for him to get out of the office already.

3. Don't get me wrong, I know our active military deserve what little raise they may get, but my suggestion is that they don't. Here's why. Right now retirees are not receiving any COLA adjustment whatsoever. How long would it take for active military to take action if they were in the same boat? How many re-enlistments would vanish? How many officers would leave the military and seek employment elsewhere? How many people would turn away from recruiters and never enter the service at all? Just something to think about.

• the man says:

your completly right, all this stuff is making me not want to inlist and im hearing about countless teenagers in my community that have the same idea. imagine what the WHOLE countries youth is doing instead of just one little community. congress, if you want fresh troops to be your pawns your gonna have to stop all this bullshit or your not gonna have a military in 50 years

4. billygoatsgruf says:

How about working on eliminating our disability payments, from our retirement checks……..!?

5. robert craft says:

in place of taking it out on our military and retired military,why don't the politicians take a 50,000 dollar cut in there yearly pay.they make too much money and all they do is change the laws to benefit them self's and to raise taxes on the working class people of America.i don't know of one politician that deserve the pay they get.

6. I was active duty for 10 years. Trust me on this, the military gets paid much better than the civilian world does. At least in my line of work. Even when I was an E-4, I knew of others who said I should get WIC and other benefits when my child was born. I didn't as I figured with housing and near free health care, I made more than enough. Now, in civilian world, I still don't make what I would if I was an E-7 or so. And, I have a good, middle class job in my area. I'm all for military pay raises as it'll help my retirement when I'm 60, but with the problems our government has, I don't mind a pay freeze for a bit. In my line of work, we haven't had a raise in 3 years and counting, yet the price of everything keeps going up. That's the civilian world for us.

• I don’t know how long ago it was when you last served, but the military has change and is changing greatly. There is an extreme downsizing in progress, yet the workload has not decreased- rather it is increasing. For example in my first 10 years of my service I deployed twice (once for war). In the last four years of my serves, I am on my 4th deployment- and this is common. The military has changed to more work, more responsibility, and more time away from home, but less pay.

7. I'm getting ready to lay off several more this summer, after a large reduction last fall and one before that Dec 09. Job security is #1 right now. Military officers and especially civil servants don't need raises–they're overpaid and should expect a reduction when they get out.

8. I laugh at the people who have never served or "I served once" screaming to freeze our pay. People that say freeze the military pay raises are blind to the other issues around them. There are so many other way to trim money from the budget it isn't even funny. If you started trimming everything down you would be surprised that the military could be the last group to get trimmed. I agree our elected officials make more then enough, but the sad part is their salaries wouldn't put a large enough chunk in our figures. However there are other things we can trim down like DOD funds, military R&D, current money pit called the GWOT, and policing up every nation under the sun. I currently work in a VIP unit in Germany. Our unit uses UH-60's to fly high ranking military officials around Europe. Want to save money cut this program from these high ranking officials that think they should ride in a special Army helicopter decked out with leather seats, pleather sound proofing panels, $8,000 lush carpets. There are programs like this all over the military that could save this great nation tons of money. Before you talk about taking my pay all I ask is you look at the other areas we nee to cut from and make a priority list. Something tells me you would see military pay near the bottom of that list when you saw the mass amounts of waste.

9. I’m tired of being used as a political pawn. There is never a threat of congress not getting paid. The President receives his appropriate wage, yet we are expected to be grateful for the crumbs. When was the last time, any of these individual were ask to leave their roles as a parent to serve freedom. I think it would be a noble act if our leaders lead and looked out for their people instead of kicking them twice.

10. Richard says:

i think it's important for our government to keep the promises made when troops enlisted and served honorably. There are many places within government to trim the budget and not break the promise of a medical benefit. Try foriegn aid, R&D
    congressional perks, and pork barrel spending to list a few. Trust in your government is key to sustaining a vital democracy by the people and for the people. Since WWII and Koera the trust has been diminished and freedoms
    lost. It's time for the voting population to wake up and elect qualified reps, then hold them accountable during their every term. We're in a hell of a mess and we need to focus on real causes, solutions and actions before we reach the point of no return; financially, militarily, socially as a free nation.

11. I think it's disgusting that our "politicians" give them selves a raise and want to crap on the military like this. I served in the Navy for 10 years and there are many, many ways to trim the budget. Politicians make way too much for sitting on their collective butt's trying to make it look like they are doing something all the while men and women are serving, fighting, and dieing for this country! Let's see a politician do that for 4,8,10, or 20 years then retire on what would be military retirement pay and not be a bit miffed. I wish we could do away with all current politicians and start over a new!

12. retired navy says:

Congress and the president should have a pay freeze before the military! The military EARNS every dime and more….our politicians don't deserve half of what they get now yet it seems every year they get a raise. Something is definitely wrong with this picture!

13. if YOU THINK THAT YOU ARE GOING TO BE TAKEN CARE OF? WAIT TILL YOU RETIRE YOUR TRICARE WILL GO TO $460 A MONTH AND TALK OT DOUBLING THE PREMIUMS ON TRICARE FOR THE RETIREES NOT ACTIVE AND WHEN YOU GET TO 67 YOU WILL PAY $95 FOR YOU AND $95 FOR EACH DEPEDENT YOU HAVE A A MONTH AND IF YOU REFUSE TO TAKE MEDICARE YOU CANNOT USE THE MILITARY HOSPITAL EVEN IF YOU RETIRE FROM THE MILITARY i AM PAYING $2400 A YEAR .THEY SAID IF YOU DO 20 YOU WILL GET FREE MEDICAL FOR LIFE .ON YOUR PAY YOUR COLA IS FROZEN NO PAY RAISE FOR 2 YEARS AND ON PAY DAY THE MILITARY PAY ON THE LAST DAY OF THE MONTH ON THE RETRIES ITS THE 1ST AND IF THE 1ST FALLS ON THE SATURDAY YOU WILL NOT GET PAID TILL ITS MONDAY AND IF MONDAY IS A HOLIDAY YOU WILL NOT GET PAID TILL TUESDAY SO THE GOVERNMENT IS USEING YOUR MONEY TILL THEN.to GET LAZIER EYE SURGERY IS YOU HAVE TO BE ACTIVE NOT FOR MILITARY RETIRES.i CAN GO ON AND ON.
    iF i KNOWN THIS WHEN i CAME IN i WOULD NOT STAYED IN FOR 22 YEARS.
    vIETNAM VET

14. James Tqte says:

As a vet, I am wlling to have my pension cut and my Tricare rate increased in order to avoid the terrible economic crash we are now headed for. BUT ONLY
    after the president, Congress, and the judiciary cut THEIR pay and benefits and be a part of the solution instead part of the problem.. Also, there is plenty of fat and pomp that needs cutting. to cut. DO IT! Otherwise, we go over the falls.

15. Keith…. I went to war for my country, I think they can keep their end of the bargain and take care of the vets, cut Congresses pay and see how they feel and their health care also.

16. michael paulsen says:

Mike…I aree with the waste within the military I retired after 20 years in the Air Force.Waste ran rampant then but thank goodness we had Promire on our side. If we only had someone like him today.

17. MAJ Arturo Roque says:

As an active duty officer and temporarily attached to the Ft. Lee ILE class, I am amazed to see some of these comments regarding the 1.6% increase. Since when we decided to join the Military for money? Granted, I would like a higher pay raise as well but we are living in tough times, we must all contribute to help the government get us back on track. I agree that change must come from the top, and no agency should be exempt until our economy is strong to support the future. I have served for over 20 years (10 as enlisted) and I remember living from paycheck to paycheck – it was up to us to learn and make sacrifices in order to overcome living like that. So, is 1.6% enough – maybe not but this is what we have to work with, let's be grateful that we are getting a pay raise, many of our civilian peers are not getting a pay raise or are currently unemployed.
    HOOAH!!

• TrainRyder says:

Thank you for your honest and realistic comment. Military families before the 1963 raises were often on food stamps. Been there, done that.

18. i was thinkng of joinin in the army nx year.i fnish my college degree which was Bachelor of Science in Nursing..and i have second thought of joinin because of some comments here..for me 1.6% raise wat d heck atleast we'r gettin paid..and the politics should work more harder because they are getting well paid..I bet playin golf is another hard day for them..

• J. A. Valentine says:

You really need to learn to spell and punctuate your sentences; College graduate! Are you kidding me??

19. Freeze my tush, they are full of it! The average salary of these people is $170,000 annually, making their hourly wage $81.75; with a generous benefit package that cost pennies for their dental, vision and the military has HMO medical or is forced to go to a military hospital. And after serving one term they have paid medical benefits for life….NO WAY! While the lowest paid military personnel (Buck Private) hourly wage at 40 hours weekly, net is $7.65 and that's with the 1.6% raise. I say we send a message to them, to freeze their salaries and their perks until the military's base salary for the Buck Privates is at $25 per hour; that's still $56.25 less than the lowest paid so called PUBLIC SERVANT, and the NATIONAL minimum wage goes up to $15 per hour. Make the same concessions for our military that they vote for themselves…regarding medical, dental, & retirement. THEY WORK FOR US, WE DON'T WORK FOR THEM!
    This is an election year coming up and we need to send a message; this can happen if they stop being so greedy. Balance the budget by cutting ALL their pay (from the White House down) by 10% and making all the "Public Servants" pay for their own secret service & cut out the perks.

• 1. In case you didn't get the news, the COLA is 3.6%

2. They (Congress) does NOT get free medical for life. They are under FEHBP, same as civil servants. After they leave office, they can pick it up (at cost) when they collect retirement pay at age 62 (age 50 if they have 20 years service). They are also under FERS. Their "secret" is so secret, the Senate has it on their web page. You might try doing research for once.

3. Lowest paid Public Servant is a GS-1. You're, I assume, referring to Congress. Feel free to write them and suggest a national Minimum Wage of $15/hour. I'm certain John Boehner, Speaker of the House, will be very interested and ensure it gets done.

• MILITARYproud says:

People don't appreciate what they have and DO NOT REALIZE how much, someone else gave up for them. Ask my kids and family how no one could pay enough to make up for ALL the time away and the anxiety of not knowing that anyone is making it back home. ???? What nerve… ANd I certainly would of retired already IF we made that much money because SOME of us don't live for the money twe just need it to survive. WHY DONT you GO fight for your OWN LIFE!!!!! AND Freedom! We even fight for ignorant people.