Easier Sign-Up for TRICARE Retired Reserve

January 11, 2011 | Terry Howell

Source: TRICARE

Gray-area retirees from the National Guard and Reserves who want to purchase TRICARE health care coverage now have a new way to get a DoD Self-service Logon. Most will need a DS Logon to qualify for and purchase TRICARE Retired Reserve (TRR) health coverage.

Since Sept. 1, 2010, members of the Retired Reserve who aren’t 60, the so-called “gray area” retirees, have been able to purchase TRR to provide health coverage for themselves and their eligible family members. To make purchasing TRR easier, gray area retirees can now get a DS Logon by contacting the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System/Defense Manpower Data Center Support Office (DSO) and remotely verify their identity.

Gray area retirees can use the DS Logon to access the Web-based Reserve Component Purchased TRICARE Application (RCPTA) to qualify for and purchase TRR. If a gray area retiree doesn’t have a DS Logon, but has a retired military ID card, he or she can call the DSO at 1-800-538-9552 (1-866-363-2883 for the hearing impaired) to request remote proofing documentation. DSO will provide step-by-step instructions and the appropriate documentation to get a DS Logon via remote proofing.

The DSO’s hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. until 5 p.m. Pacific time. The DSO is closed on all federal holidays.

To use the remote proofing process, the gray area retiree will identify his or herself with a Social Security number to the DSO. The DSO will then fax, e-mail or send by regular mail, a document the retiree can take with their ID card to a notary public to remotely verify his or her identity. The retiree will return this document to the DSO and, if the notarized photocopy of the ID card matches the ID card on file in DEERS, a DS Logon can be issued.

Gray area retirees who don’t have a retired ID card and a DS Logon can get both, and complete the in-person proofing process at a RAPIDS ID card issuing site. To locate the nearest RAPIDS site, go to www.dmdc.osd.mil/rsl. Alternatively, they may still go to designated Veterans Administration (VA) regional offices to complete in-person-proofing and get a DS Logon. To locate a VA regional office, visit www.vba.va.gov/vba/benefits/offices.asp.

Retired Reservists may qualify to purchase TRR coverage if they are under the age of 60 and are not eligible for, or enrolled in, the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program. They must be members of the retired Reserve and qualified for non-regular retirement. For instructions on how to qualify for and purchase TRR go to www.tricare.mil/trr.

Comments

1. How do I get a TriCare Prime insurance card

2. Linda L. Hiott says:

how do I get it for me when my husband died in 2006 and he was retired since 1993

• Buz Allen says:

Dear Linda…

Has no one at ALL helped you since your Husband's Death? Have you not made any inquiries at any Military DEERS offices or Military Bases?

I would be glad to assist you in this matter just to get you directed in the right direction. Did you Husband participate in the SBP? Have you remarried? (HOPE NOT if you need Tricare!) And if so, this is an impossibility.

3. Jose Yglesias says:

Are they crazy, it is too much money per month( over $1,000 per month).
    They should reevaluate that premium, no one can afford that.

4. Al Koenig says:

I agree with Jose. I also checked their rates and couldn't believe how high they were! The commercial market offers considerably better deals, as usual. I make an effort to stay in good health, deny myself many indulgences, enjoy everything in moderation, bank my money, and get catastrophic medical coverage. That's all many people really need. Try it, you'll like it!

5. They have the premiums so high that no one will get it, but they can at least say they offer it now. Inside the political mind…

6. I THINK THAT THE TRR INS. PLAN FOR GREY AREA RETIREES IS NOT AFFORDABLE FOR ALL OF US .FOR A FAMILY $1000 OR MORE IS WAY TO MUCH WHEN YOU CAN GET OTHER INS.MUCH CHEEPER, NOT EVERYONE HAS A WELL PAYING JOB TO TAKE OUT TRICARE RESERVE SELECT INS. FOR THIS IS NOT A WAY TO TREAT THIS TYPE OF RETIREE.
    DAVID

7. This is just another way that Big Brother shows how much it cares about its veterans, Stick it to us, use us, abuse us, then when we could use something that is affordable…it's out of reach for most. Unless your in Congress, then you have the BEST healthcare in the world that the public is denied but pays for.

8. CALVI RICK RINGLE says:

CALVIN RICK
    I AM RETIRED FROM THE INDIANA GUARD AND MOST PLACES WILL NOT ECCEPT MY TRI CARE

9. STILL TREATED AS SECOND CLASS SOLDIERS! WE'RE GOOD ENOUGH
    TO DEPLOY, FIGHT, AND DIE NEXT TO ACTIVE DUTY SOLDIERS, BUT WHEN IT COMES TO SUPPORTING THE GUARD AND RESERVE?? NUFF SAID!

10. AJ- Nav Vet says:

I am getting close to 60 and did active & reserve duty totalling 25yrs. Someone told me that I would be better to just continue to go to VA and pay difference then paying for Tricare? I'm still working and have Aetna but it REALLY "STINKS" they have NEVER paid any medical bills- always with some type of objection. Will Tricare be the same? Right now I am non-service but will be putting in a claim.

11. cjclouston says:

i am an ex wife of armyreservice man. i know tri care is available for me need info. 21 yrs. married. any info. out there e-mail please take me too the right person. an need help on the retirement benefits. part too.for me when he retires . on his 60th bday. talk more only if u are real no bs. please. thanks cj

12. connie trippett says:

my husband was in the service for 6 years, can he get tricare?he is 65 now.

13. joe tricare is for rich man to get rich not to take care of service men when the war is over and the young vets come home you will see darkness in their face / give us back the old GI Bill or you will be sorry

14. h mullen says:

im nearing retirement age my self and im a widow of a army- natinal guard military retired man who did retire and was not able to collect a pention untill age 60. problem he passed away at 48 yrs of age he never collected one check. i recieve his survivor pention i only recieve because he benificiaryed to me and the kids.he earned this pention by years of service he was in for 30yrs. irecieved a commisary privledge card shortly after i started recieving his check . i never was informed of deers or tricare i recieve army echos magazine and read im eligible and i emailed fort in kentucky she agreed im eligible? i didnt know now ithought after medicare?anyway my spouse is deceased and idont know if he ever registered me in deers? who how do i find out? the web site wont let me in says security warning on screen. if my spouse is toregister me i have no one to register due to his death so who then???? thanks for any information

15. how much does tricare cost per month figure two people. age 53 lost my job in private sector and cobra is expensive

16. Russell says:

This is a joke. Most doctors don’t even take tricare.

• I got United health and the hell with tricare-can't understand anything they say and the dr tthing scares me–the hell with tricare–like anything in the gov–DO NOT TRUST IT

17. Like the other Vets will agree if they are retired reservist if able to go to the VA rather go there stand in line or all day wait to be seen but pay a little fee or none!

18. I would love to have tricare. The nearest VA hospital to us is 380 miles away. My husband and I are both retired from the national guard. He is 47 and I am 45. We also have a 3 year old son. We have really crappy insurance for him that we pay $100/month with a $1000/day deductible. Pretty useless unless he is hospitalized. and no insurance on either of us. We really can't afford over $1000/month for Tricare insurance. That is just rediculous. Who the hell can afford that?!

19. They are crazy with the $1000 a month premium. Most people can't afford that. It's a joke.

20. Check with the VA. He should be on Medicare at 65.
    There is a County Veteran Service Officer (CVSO) in every county. They will help you.

21. Charlie Crist says:

why bother even giving us the option, what a slap in the face. I was gad to find out however that the great governor of Florida Rick Scott, pays $30.00 a month

22. If you manage to make it to 60 the premium drops to 520.00, 2012 ( fam rate) because you start drawing a pension and its subsidized by govt. Howevered if they offered a rate for husband &spouse it would be less.All other ins.companys offer this rate except TRICARE, Whats up.I can't afford 1000. a month either . Unimployed hoosier,DT.

23. Archie A Bauer says:

why does my ID card have a "Medical" Experation date (2011AUG31) ? I am a retired Vet of Two Wars. My pharmacy says "DEERS" says I am not in their system. What is going on?

24. evaughnsharp says:

i wanna be in a navy.because i wanna change my life around and iwanna see something diffent and i wannasee diffent people and i wanna go to the navy

25. nino brooks says:

Please don't send the infomation to my email call me on this phone number (478)-788-4192